Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Diamond League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Itziger wrote: »
    Don't know how that wouldn't appear for me in YT. That was a perfect level of opposition for Tobin, they towed him along nicely. He did really well to hold onto the leading group there. Was dangling off the back a bit with 1km to go. Battled hard and got a decent time.

Someone with a calculator or head for paces and %s, how does that compare to the 5,000 PB for him? It's down as 13.53 or something from just a month ago. The 7.45 sounds more impressive, or am I reading it wrong?

And yet he said he should have moved up at 500 to go, but wasn't sure the legs with hold up.
    I dont think Sean has the biggest kick in the world.
    Sub 13.30 or so, but with the right race and conditions sub 13.20 is on the cards.

He will definitely have gained a lot of confidence over the past few week

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

OK, not the Diamond League, which has finished up for 2020, but a one-off meet in Valencia where Joshua Cheptegei is having a crack at the 10000m World Record 26:17.53 set by Bekele 15 years ago, having already broken his 5000m mark this year.
    It's on Wednesday 8.30pm Irish time, on TV BBC Red Button and I assume a live-stream somewhere.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

BBC red button doesn't work here, unless you manually tune it into the extra channels on your Sky box. Hopefully World Athletics will do a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

BBC red button doesn't work here, unless you manually tune it into the extra channels on your Sky box. Hopefully World Athletics will do a stream?

Off topic but BBC red button is a free unscrambled channel and available with any free to air system - no need for Sky or any other subscription at all. Its a great place to watch a lot of live athletics that don't make BBC 1 or 2.

NN Running WR Day startlists are up:
    https://zone-1.cdn.leadfamly.com/files/1533/nnrt_valencia_2020/startlist.pdf

It's obviously all geared towards towards WR attempts.... although I thought McSweyn might use it to try and better his own NR. He's down as a Pacer instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

wgtomblin wrote: »
    NN Running WR Day startlists are up:
    https://zone-1.cdn.leadfamly.com/files/1533/nnrt_valencia_2020/startlist.pdf

It's obviously all geared towards towards WR attempts.... although I thought McSweyn might use it to try and better his own NR. He's down as a Pacer instead.

It's all getting bit too manufactured for my liking now. I'll still watch it if I can get the remote for half an hour of course.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Had no idea Gidey was going for the 5000m world record also. She sounds very confident, I reckon she'll get it too. Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Had no idea Gidey was going for the 5000m world record also. She sounds very confident, I reckon she'll get it too. Fun!

Wow, Some effort, brilliant..what a lovely running style also...

One down. One to go.

Gidey :cool:
    Hope she takes a crack at the 10k at some point too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This is a no go anyway for the WR I'd say

He's picked up speed tbf to him. Might have a good shot still. Thought he started to struggle a but earlier

He's got. Fair fcuks to him.

Wow, fabulous by Cheptegei..another world record..

Cheptegui. 3 races in 2020. 3 World Records. Clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wow, impressive performances. My favourite city (after Cork, like) put on a good show. I take back what I said about the manufactured nature of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

That was fantastic. Two unbelievable races. I've been saying it for years about having those wave lights. I should have patented that idea

MY BAD wrote: »
    That was fantastic. Two unbelievable races. I've been saying it for years about having those wave lights. I should have patented that idea

I was doing some cheering at the tv..Stupid question but can the runners see the lights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

4Ad wrote: »
    I was doing some cheering at the tv..Stupid question but can the runners see the lights ?

Yup, Thought Gideon was going to trip over herself looking backwards to see where the light was on the last lap

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

They weren't races though, they were timetrials. London on Sunday was a better race, but it didn't have a record.
    They are great performances but it is hard to put them in perspective given the question marks over the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

They weren't races though, they were timetrials. London on Sunday was a better race, but it didn't have a record.
    They are great performances but it is hard to put them in perspective given the question marks over the shoes.

You're right about it been a time trial. Still great to watch. They were wearing dragonflys tonight. I don't think there is to question over these shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

You're right about it been a time trial. Still great to watch. They were wearing dragonflys tonight. I don't think there is to question over these shoes?

Sorry yea, maybe they were wearing regular spikes. I just am a bit cynical about nike and the shoe arms race.
    I love athletics but couldn't get excited about these performances. But that's just me, it's better than having no races I suppose.

Sifan Hassan racing a 10k in Hengelo on Saturday night, hope she goes for a fast time. WR probably not gonna happen though :)
    Kipyegon going for the 1000m record again, would be good if she gets it this time. Kejelcha and McSweyn will race the men's 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Shoes are making a mockery of our sport. Bekele would have been sub 26 and Dibaba sub 14 with these shoes.

https://twitter.com/GlenCottingley/status/1313945102788833281?s=19

Also, not a fan of the wavelight technology. 1) It's artificial assistance for the athletes and I'm amazed it's allowed, and 2) it takes the excitement out of a record attempt for the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i dont mind the spikes but the wavelight seems a bit much. Pacing yourself is a huge part of nailing a race, taking that stress out is a game changer. Seems more like a time trial imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

So what’s the difference in this and kipchoge sub 2?

I don’t think it should count as a wr as lights are pacing him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Trampas wrote: »
    So what’s the difference in this and kipchoge sub 2?

I don’t think it should count as a wr as lights are pacing him

Believe Cheptegei is colour blind........

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

Chivito550 wrote: »

Those spikes cant be put even remotely in the same ballpark as the vaporfly, next percent or alpha fly.

For one, carbon plates have been in spikes since the 90's, I bet you have a carbon plate in your sprint spikes.

Secondly, non EVA foam isnt new either, EVA came along decades ago and then companies started using faster elastomers almost 10 years ago. I had a pair of Adidas Adizero Avanti boosts in 2014 that had a carbon plate and non EVA elastomer boost foam that increased energy return by more than 10% over EVA foam.

I can also say Jim Ryun wouldve ran 3:42 for the mile if he had a Mondo track and the same spikes as EL G did instead of a clay track and 1960's spikes. Technology always moves on.

The dragonfly is nowhere in the realm of having the same effect as the vaporfly. All the super shoe tech from the vaporfly has already existed on track spikes for decades or isnt transferable.

No massive stack height to cushion and add energy return
    Carbon plate tech already hugely developed in track shoes from tuned resistance on sprint spikes to long distance spikes
    Spikes are already on the market which are just as low weight and have been for decades

The only diff is the pebex foam from a regular track spike. And the foam wears have been going on since spikes were invented, from bannister spikes to Nike Waffle racers to rubber sole to EVA to boost elastomers to pebex elastomers. This spike is nowhere near as revolutionary as the road shoes.

And it just backs up a lot of things, the only reason the vaporfly is so revolutionary on the road is because it's been compared to road shoes.

• Advertisement

Sifan Hassan racing a 10k in Hengelo on Saturday night, hope she goes for a fast time. WR probably not gonna happen though :)
    Kipyegon going for the 1000m record again, would be good if she gets it this time. Kejelcha and McSweyn will race the men's 5k.

McSweyn going for 5000 NR to make a clean sweep of track NR's this season. Sean Tobin is among the pacers.

Advertisement