Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what spider this is?

• 02-08-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a bee struggling today, and saw this spider had caught it, was wondering if anyone could identify what type of spider it is.
    https://imgur.com/a/g9utknZ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ilostmyheart

That looks like a false widow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How can you tell? I thought they were much larger, but couldn't find a definite size, only a range - and a few other spiders that it could also be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ilostmyheart

It looks pretty much like one to me but I could be wrong of course. Its the shape and colour. I also wish I didn't click on it coz I don't think I will sleep ever again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

I saw the same thing only it was a beetle caught by a spider. The attached photo was the culprit.
    522418.jpg

Another shot, I went around the house at night and counted 15 of them along the eaves and gutters. Are they false widows and if so should the be exterminated.
    522419.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Vittu wrote: »
    Another shot, I went around the house at night and counted 15 of them along the eaves and gutters. Are they false widows and if so should the be exterminated.
    522419.jpg

Easy solution
    Burn the house down

Easy solution
    Burn the house down

I think the missus tends to agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I think it is a False Widow, the Skull on the abdomen is a giveaway!.....

50200541931_114c817fd1_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Similar looking to the on I posted, but the one in my pictures has no skull.
    Unless yours is a real widow!! :eek: :pac:

Suckit wrote: »
    Similar looking to the on I posted, but the one in my pictures has no skull.
    Unless yours is a real widow!! :eek: :pac:

Could be, there was a small rabbit in its web this morning. Genocide begins Sunday night...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Rather than start a new thread, what do folks think of the attached? Potential false widow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of those could be steatoda grossa, which is native (i think) and often mistaken for steatoda nobilis.

What's this???
    525419.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Vittu wrote: »
    What's this???
    525419.jpg

Looks like Nuctenea umbratica.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

False widows are harmless. No need to panic. It's the reason they are called false widows. If it was a real one tes that would be dangerous but they are not in Ireland unless you to to the Zoo or someone imported one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looks like Nuctenea umbratica.

Thank you

Advertisement