Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

TheClubMan wrote: »
    What are people's experiences with New Holland 6635 tractors? Look to be a good stockman's tractor with no electrics. Thinking of purchasing one I have my eye on
    They definitely are a good stock mans tractor. They’re basically a fiat painted blue, L85 was the Fiat model of the same tractor but they were just an 88-94 fiat dressed up!

They’ve the 3.9 litre 85hp iveco (Fiat) engine which is almost bomb proof. It’s the same engine that was in the 80-90 Fiats and continued through to the TL series until the change to TLA. Some lads thought the 6635 was a bit under powered compared to a 7635 (95hp) but they are the exact same tractor with the 6635 just turned down a bit so there would be no problem tuning it up if you thought you needed a bit more power but as a yard or feeding tractor it wouldn’t be necessary.

I never owned a 6635 but have a TL90 with about 10k hours on it and has a lot of heavy work done for a tractor of its size and it’s still running perfectly and has never let me down. I can’t see any reason why it won’t do another 10k!

The main problem you might have with a 6635 would be the standard Fiat issue of clutch wear, especially if it’s a loader tractor. As far as I know there was no power shuttle option on the 6635’s, or if there was there definitely wasn’t too many specced that way. Same with dual power, it was an option but not many lads payed the few pound extra to get it so there’s only an odd few around with it. So mainly you have a dry clutch with the forward reverse on its own gear lever to the left of the seat. If there’s a loader that can be hard on the clutch but they are simple enough to split to replace so I wouldn’t let that turn me off buying one.

They’ve a nice enough cab too for a tractor if it’s size, spacious and comfortable if you’ve a decent seat in it. They’re very nimble in a yard and have great manoeuvrability, you’d turn it on a six pence, one of the best of all the 4 wheel drives in that regard.

They wouldn’t be the heaviest on the back end so if it has a loader then a weight block would be better to have.

Depending on age and condition they’d be making anything from around €13k up to maybe €20k plus for a low hours clean one with a quickie loader. If you were to keep it clean and tidy I can’t see it losing value over the years. Like a 390 they are at a price level now where they won’t drop any lower as long as it’s minded so in my opinion it would be a good investment.

All in all if it’s within your budget I’d consider it a good buy and best of luck with it if you do decide to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

maidhc wrote: »
    How does a having mechanical load sensing affect the height the arms raise to?

It seems to me that a new “heavy” 120 hp tractor with a loader is the bones of 100k. That’s half the price, and if genuine is easily worth 10 or 15k more than a rough item. You could buy a tractor for 30k, one backend problem and a set of tyres and where are you?

Dont know how it affects the lift height but trust me, it does. I have driven several maxxums ts115a and t6030s. Any with a manual lift were shocking poor on the lift height.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

DBK1 wrote: »
    They definitely are a good stock mans tractor. They’re basically a fiat painted blue, L85 was the Fiat model of the same tractor but they were just an 88-94 fiat dressed up!

They’ve the 3.9 litre 85hp iveco (Fiat) engine which is almost bomb proof. It’s the same engine that was in the 80-90 Fiats and continued through to the TL series until the change to TLA. Some lads thought the 6635 was a bit under powered compared to a 7635 (95hp) but they are the exact same tractor with the 6635 just turned down a bit so there would be no problem tuning it up if you thought you needed a bit more power but as a yard or feeding tractor it wouldn’t be necessary.

I never owned a 6635 but have a TL90 with about 10k hours on it and has a lot of heavy work done for a tractor of its size and it’s still running perfectly and has never let me down. I can’t see any reason why it won’t do another 10k!

The main problem you might have with a 6635 would be the standard Fiat issue of clutch wear, especially if it’s a loader tractor. As far as I know there was no power shuttle option on the 6635’s, or if there was there definitely wasn’t too many specced that way. Same with dual power, it was an option but not many lads payed the few pound extra to get it so there’s only an odd few around with it. So mainly you have a dry clutch with the forward reverse on its own gear lever to the left of the seat. If there’s a loader that can be hard on the clutch but they are simple enough to split to replace so I wouldn’t let that turn me off buying one.

They’ve a nice enough cab too for a tractor if it’s size, spacious and comfortable if you’ve a decent seat in it. They’re very nimble in a yard and have great manoeuvrability, you’d turn it on a six pence, one of the best of all the 4 wheel drives in that regard.

They wouldn’t be the heaviest on the back end so if it has a loader then a weight block would be better to have.

Depending on age and condition they’d be making anything from around €13k up to maybe €20k plus for a low hours clean one with a quickie loader. If you were to keep it clean and tidy I can’t see it losing value over the years. Like a 390 they are at a price level now where they won’t drop any lower as long as it’s minded so in my opinion it would be a good investment.

All in all if it’s within your budget I’d consider it a good buy and best of luck with it if you do decide to go ahead with it.
    Are the 7635 much bigger size wise and are they as nimble around the yard ?
    You will pay 18 - 20k for a good clean 6635 even without a loader.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Are the 7635 much bigger size wise and are they as nimble around the yard ?
    You will pay 18 - 20k for a good clean 6635 even without a loader.
    No difference in size or weight so it would be the same.

Yea they probably would comfortably make that money. I know of one in a dealers yard and I think he’s looking around mid €20’s for it but it is immaculate and he’d have a good reputation for clean tractors, bordering on OCD with them nearly!

No difference in size or weight so it would be the same.

Yea they probably would comfortably make that money. I know of one in a dealers yard and I think he’s looking around mid €20’s for it but it is immaculate and he’d have a good reputation for clean tractors, bordering on OCD with them nearly!

Coyles?

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Coyles?
    McHughs in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

McHughs in Galway.

That was first name that came into my head.
    Do they refurbish everything that they take or what is their modus operandi? Everything they have looks like it is ready for a Classic Tractor photoshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do they refurbish everything that they take or what is their modus operandi? Everything they have looks like it is ready for a Classic Tractor photoshoot.

Well they certainly do a good paint and valet job on them. If they do half that effort on it mechanically you be buying a decent tractor off them 95% of the time

Slava Ukrainii

It seems like they do alright and they focus on the smaller stockman’s tractors, and mainly New Holland’s and Case.

As Bass said, even if they only put half the effort into the mechanical side as they do the cosmetic side you’d be getting a good tractor.

Their prices would be on the strong side but you can see why when you view their stock.

It seems like they do alright and they focus on the smaller stockman’s tractors, and mainly New Holland’s and Case.

As Bass said, even if they only put half the effort into the mechanical side as they do the cosmetic side you’d be getting a good tractor.

Their prices would be on the strong side but you can see why when you view their stock.

What would after sales/ warranties be like ?
    IMO this would be very important when buying a newly sprayed tractor. No point giving €20k for it being a painted up clocked crock of dirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'd say they must source fairly clean well kept tractors to begin with, especially in the newer stuff. No amount of preparation would make an abused tractor look as good as the stock they have. I don't know what their prices are like, but I bet the tractors they sell are better value than a rough yoke costing a few thousand less, especially to someone who takes pride in their machine. A visit to their yard is on my to do list post lockdown, just to see the tractors in the flesh....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Re Mc Hugh's these guys are close enough to me and we have had a few deals with them over the years. Tony is the main man, nice fella well able to talk early 40's. His father is Anthony, in mid 60's not around so much any more.

Generally their stuff seems to be pretty good, all the modern stuff (mostly NH TL or the NH 50 range or equivalent Cases) is brought in from England / Scotland, older stuff are trade ins. In fairness they do go through the tractors very well - nearly everything is stripped down and gone through etc (i've often been in the workshop and you'd see whats going on) and Tony will tell you that anything that needs to be done is done.

They tend to ask enough and there would be a bit of a give in the price, although they will probably tell you that every tractor in the yard was sold or nearly sold / fella interested in it, so take everything with a pinch of salt!

They will also say, and there's some truth in it, that an extra €2K /€3k for a tractor that's fully done up is nothing over the lifespan that you will have the machine, (only €2/300 a year over 10 years)

A few years back when we were changing they were giving us a 1 year guarantee with a TL 100, but then again they would know our set up and the heaviest work a tractor would be doing here is handling bales or a 1300 gal tanker. Father is a MF man, so we got a MF, I would have gone with the NH to be honest

They will deliver all over the country, no bother.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Re Mc Hugh's these guys are close enough to me and we have had a few deals with them over the years. Tony is the main man, nice fella well able to talk early 40's. His father is Anthony, in mid 60's not around so much any more.

Generally their stuff seems to be pretty good, all the modern stuff (mostly NH TL or the NH 50 range or equivalent Cases) is brought in from England / Scotland, older stuff are trade ins. In fairness they do go through the tractors very well - nearly everything is stripped down and gone through etc (i've often been in the workshop and you'd see whats going on) and Tony will tell you that anything that needs to be done is done.

They tend to ask enough and there would be a bit of a give in the price, although they will probably tell you that every tractor in the yard was sold or nearly sold / fella interested in it, so take everything with a pinch of salt!

They will also say, and there's some truth in it, that an extra €2K /€3k for a tractor that's fully done up is nothing over the lifespan that you will have the machine, (only €2/300 a year over 10 years)

A few years back when we were changing they were giving us a 1 year guarantee with a TL 100, but then again they would know our set up and the heaviest work a tractor would be doing here is handling bales or a 1300 gal tanker. Father is a MF man, so we got a MF, I would have gone with the NH to be honest

They will deliver all over the country, no bother.
    Yea they definitely seem to be sourcing the right type of machine in the first place. I know they buy a few of the trade ins from other Case and NH dealers around the country as well and from one dealer that I know reasonably well, he’d tell you it’s only a certain type he can offer them!

I’ve met Tony a few times and he seems a genuine enough fella with a good attitude about him. I’ve never met Anthony but he has a brother living not far from me and if he’s anything like him he can only be straight and honest.

He’s dead right about the few pound extra being small money over the lifespan of the tractor too. And as I said about the 6635 in an earlier post, if the type of tractor they’re selling is minded then it won’t depreciate a whole lot from now on anyway.

Fair play to them I say, they stick to the market they know they have and seem to have pride in what they’re doing and selling.

Yea they definitely seem to be sourcing the right type of machine in the first place. I know they buy a few of the trade ins from other Case and NH dealers around the country as well and from one dealer that I know reasonably well, he’d tell you it’s only a certain type he can offer them!

I’ve met Tony a few times and he seems a genuine enough fella with a good attitude about him. I’ve never met Anthony but he has a brother living not far from me and if he’s anything like him he can only be straight and honest.

He’s dead right about the few pound extra being small money over the lifespan of the tractor too. And as I said about the 6635 in an earlier post, if the type of tractor they’re selling is minded then it won’t depreciate a whole lot from now on anyway.

Fair play to them I say, they stick to the market they know they have and seem to have pride in what they’re doing and selling.

There trade seems to centre on sub 100ish HP tractors. Mainly targeting the 50-100 acre man who may have a job as well. He is willing to spend a few K extra on the right tractor that will do his work and be dependable as well. These lads ate doing 3-500 hours per year so easier to give them a warranty

Slava Ukrainii

There trade seems to centre on sub 100ish HP tractors. Mainly targeting the 50-100 acre man who may have a job as well. He is willing to spend a few K extra on the right tractor that will do his work and be dependable as well. These lads ate doing 3-500 hours per year so easier to give them a warranty
    Yep I agree completely. A good business move by them I’d say.

Anyone know what warranty they give or has anyone had any after sales dealings with them ?

I would assume 6 months warranty would be standard ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Anyone know what warranty they give or has anyone had any after sales dealings with them ?

I would assume 6 months warranty would be standard ?

Most warranty on those 18+ years old tractors by most garages is 3 months or 300 hours. That the general run. Most garages want to avoid being caught by a lad doing a bit of mini contracting with a mower, wrapper, small baler that where the 300 hours catch is

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

jimmy G M wrote: »

They will also say, and there's some truth in it, that an extra €2K /€3k for a tractor that's fully done up is nothing over the lifespan that you will have the machine, (only €2/300 a year over 10 years).

You can’t do up a tractor for 2k or 3k. You can service it and give it a lick of paint, but only barely service and barely paint. Not saying what mchughs are doing is bad, but I’d always rather get something that is completely original and have a budget for any issues.

maidhc wrote: »
    You can’t do up a tractor for 2k or 3k. You can service it and give it a lick of paint, but only barely service and barely paint. Not saying what mchughs are doing is bad, but I’d always rather get something that is completely original and have a budget for any issues.

There business is there a good while. They seem to have a food reputation. You are paying them 3k more than other dealers not more than a tractor off DD. That gives them a chance to carry out extra work on tractors. Most of the skill in there system is sourcing the right tractors not buying trouble. Even at that main dealers will trade in stuff right with a problem.or known problem. They will factor in a large margin into that tractor. Of this happens at the busy time of year( May to July) they may prefer moving it on to people like the McHughs than repair it themselves and either have it sitting in the Forecourt for the Summer or taking up space and time in the workshop.

Slava Ukrainii

Just one thing came to mind there about the size of tractors on Irish farms. Youn lad while in Australia worked on a livestock farm out there. 100+ pedigree HE cows and about 5k Merino ewes. There was two tractors on the place about 110 HP. One was a MCCormick CX 115 early noughties. They usually plant anything from 3-500 acres of Oats and either graze it or cut it. Lucerne and red clover were options as well.

Some of the work would be contracted. However they had a disc harrow as well. He was there for three weeks in March 2019 with the disc and a seeder behind it. I think they set nearly 400 hundred acres and put fertlizer innit as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Grueller wrote: »
    New Holland T6.125s or Case Maxxum 115 are available at the same price as that luxxum with a quicke Q5m loader on board. They are a different beast of a tractor too in terms of weight, size and capability.
    so which would be the best buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I have a 4 cylinder mccormick cx105 and she is right little tractor in fairness even after 7 years. There is 4450 hours on it now. I would buy another one no problem

Just one thing came to mind there about the size of tractors on Irish farms. Youn lad while in Australia worked on a livestock farm out there. 100+ pedigree HE cows and about 5k Merino ewes. There was two tractors on the place about 110 HP. One was a MCCormick CX 115 early noughties. They usually plant anything from 3-500 acres of Oats and either graze it or cut it. Lucerne and red clover were options as well.

Some of the work would be contracted. However they had a disc harrow as well. He was there for three weeks in March 2019 with the disc and a seeder behind it. I think they set nearly 400 hundred acres and put fertlizer innit as well.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    so which would be the best buy?

I would buy the New Holland for the simple reason of no boost so less sensors on the flywheel. Also I have never seen a 15 year old case that is not gone pink over time. Equivalent NH always seem to trade in better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

case it seems are better put together ,so I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

I gave up looking at tractors for a while out of despair. Been looking now again and I see there is still some of the same tractors in dealers yards and some prices may be starting to drop? I read that there is alot of new tractors being sold and alot of second hand tractors being imported. I don't see much availability on done deal all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

What are you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

degetme wrote: »
    What are you looking for

130 ish hp tractor and loader. Under 8k hours. 40k budget. Not too fussy about brands

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

straight wrote: »
    130 ish hp tractor and loader. Under 8k hours. 40k budget. Not too fussy about brands

Me too, looking like nearer to 50k to get anything decent.
    Seen a few NH TS115As for approx 35k plus say 8k to add a new loader. These tractors would be about 15 or 16 years old though.
    NH T6030 or case maxxums 09 or 10 about 45k plus cost of adding a loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

straight wrote: »
    I gave up looking at tractors for a while out of despair. Been looking now again and I see there is still some of the same tractors in dealers yards and some prices may be starting to drop? I read that there is alot of new tractors being sold and alot of second hand tractors being imported. I don't see much availability on done deal all the same?

From what i have seen, the dealers will quite happily sit on these tractors indefinitely. I dont understand it, very little room for negotiation if anything with any of them, even on a straight deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Which one is the better buy (I'm not buying either btw)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-trident-130/27711084

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-2725/27717540

Same looks good value for the hp but no idea of reliability

Advertisement