Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Love the Jersey, is it available? I'm in a house full of bitter rossies which makes it more desirable

Think April 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

If I am right we need either Galway or Kerry to lose and us to win to make final ?
    Mad stuff!!!!!
    Galway are away to Tyrone ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

So if we beat Monaghan and either Tyrone win/draw against Galway or Roscommon win against Kerry we would make the league final. Have I got this right.

Thought O'Shea/Ruane &O'Connor were excellent. Ruane is a stylish footballer. Some trio to have around the middle. On a side note do we not have a goalkeeping coach who tells Clarke to lower the trajectory of his kickouts. It continues to be his achilles. Super win and there was the intensity we were looking for. Bring the 8nto championship and we will give anyone a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Which comes into play, head to head or points difference?

Which comes into play, head to head or points difference?

2 teams head to head
    3 or more scoring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Head to head if 2 teams finish on same points.

Score difference if 3+ teams are on the same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

Love the Jersey, is it available? I'm in a house full of bitter rossies which makes it more desirable

Getting it myself it's a beautiful jersey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lovely touch by Aidan mentioning the sad passing of Alan Freeman's father.

Nothing less than I'd expect from Aidan.

Another win next Sunday and a possible league final would put us in good spirits heading into the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Great win from Mayo tonight! So delighted for them. Defence seemed much better tonight overall, much more organised in midfield. Great partnership of O’Shea, Ruane, not to mention having O’Connor and Vaughan around the middle is a big help too. Am concerned re forwards, they made scoring difficult at times. Also two wide’s kicked following the equaliser which might have cost Mayo had Ruane not gotten the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

Considering a reasonable chance of making league final now. When is it?

• Advertisement

muddle84 wrote: »

Sunday 31st

muddle84 wrote: »

Sunday 31st March 2019.

Presuming throw in will be 3.30 or 4.00 post the division 2 final.

Its kind of getting lost in everything but Kerry were awful tonight and the same defensive failings are still there
    Run at them and they part like the Red Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

km79 wrote: »
    If I am right we need either Galway or Kerry to lose and us to win to make final ?
    Mad stuff!!!!!
    Galway are away to Tyrone ..........

It's a great end to league with lots of teams having something to play for. Monaghan have to get a result v Mayo to stay up too. It could easily end up being a Kerry Tyrone final - I hope not though.

It's a great end to league with lots of teams having something to play for. Monaghan have to get a result v Mayo to stay up too. It could easily end up being a Kerry Tyrone final - I hope not though.

Without telling tales I get the impression that mayo players are being allowed have a night or 2 off now so we may well be treated to another hike defeat next weekend :D

They deserve a bit of a break anyway
    Long few months ahead hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's a great end to league with lots of teams having something to play for. Monaghan have to get a result v Mayo to stay up too.

Only if Cavan or Roscommon get something in their games, AFAIK.

I know it wasn't a complete success, but good to see JH identify the threat of Tommy Walsh at full forward and put Stephen Coen back to mark him. In his previous tenure, I never remember him specifically making plans for a big target man in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is it just me but id be quite happy without making a league final and all the hype an ****e that would bring etc. The target is a Connacht final win and the super 8's, i dont think a league final does anything to help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is it just me but id be quite happy without making a league final and all the hype an ****e that would bring etc. The target is a Connacht final win and the super 8's, i dont think a league final does anything to help that.

Oh no it's not just you, I totally agree with you.

A league final will be of feck all value.

As I said a few weeks back coming third and finding a few new players would do just fine.

Connacht champion is the next major target.

Oh no it's not just you, I totally agree with you.

A league final will be of feck all value.

As I said a few weeks back coming third and finding a few new players would do just fine.

Connacht champion

And me
    Looking forward to another long trek to castlebar for a home league defeat so :D

• Advertisement

A shrewd GAA man remarked post match that he believed James Horan would give Michael Schlingermann a run out next Sunday.

A great idea IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Agree and I'd be amazed to see us win it if we got there

Much improved last night, although I'd a feeling there was a push in us, we always do well v Kerry in the league.

Ruane looks a huge addition. It was vintage Aidan O'Shea and Kevin McLoughlin

Still plenty of silly stuff mind. We should have seen it out much more comfortably after the goal, and we still don't have any real outlet up front - I recall plunkett and Vaughan making some great runs yet having no option to lay it off to.

But great to see the fire in the belly return. Monaghan won't be easy at all, but look 4 wins would be fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

It would do Mayo no harm to win a national title even if it is the league, I can't understand how people dismiss it. Mayo have little or nothing to show for all their dominant years and I think this was a factor in getting over the line in all Ireland finals. Dublin and Kerry don't dismiss it. If Galway win the league this year they will win an all Ireland in the next 3 years IMO.

crusier wrote: »
    It would do Mayo no harm to win a national title even if it is the league, I can't understand how people dismiss it. Mayo have little or nothing to show for all their dominant years and I think this was a factor in getting over the line in all Ireland finals. Dublin and Kerry don't dismiss it. If Galway win the league this year they will win an all Ireland in the next 3 years IMO.

It helps for Dublin when they have such a quality all round panel doesn't it?. I don't exactly see them going gung ho though this year.

Kerry have two league final appearance in recent years and ended up in those finals more accidentally than anything

It's grand to come out with soundbites like a Galway league win will them the all Ireland in a few years, when we're in the generation of arguably the best side of all time and a coming Kerry side with bags of underage success. There's still a fair distance between league and championship intensity for many teams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    A shrewd GAA man remarked post match that he believed James Horan would give Michael Schlingermann a run out next Sunday.

A great idea IMO.

I can see Mayo playing a few marginal players next week.

They are safe in Div 1
    They need other results to get them to the final
    They have tried a lot of players
    The league work is for the most part done.

Don't be surprised if Monaghan avoid relegation.

They are safe in Div 1

I think they'll stay up anyway (how on earth did Ros blow it v Cavan) but yes I do think they will be the more hungry side next week and will probably take the spoils

After 2 weeks off mayo needed a performance after two awful showings. Last need was the big win they needed. I'd imagine they were allowed enjoy themselves last night, and training will be on the lighter end of the scale this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭PressRun

Hmmm. I think I'd like to make a league final and have a proper crack at winning it too, even if just to give the younger lads another go in Croke Park before the championship, but I don't think it will happen. We're relying on other teams to win/lose in order to make a final, which takes it out of our hands somewhat. I think they'll be happy to just have Div 1 status secured and leave it at that. I think Tyrone will probably beat Galway next time, but I'm not that confident that we'll beat Monaghan tbh.

seligehgit wrote: »

A great idea IMO.

Nothing against Schlingermann, but I don't see the point playing him next week. We should be using the Monaghan game to decide what players are going to start come championship. Clarke and Hennelly will be our 2 goalies for summer so no point playing anyone else.

I think Plunkett, Ruane and McDonagh will hold on to their starting position for the rest of the year. We don't look to have found anyone new in the full back/forward lines yet so that is where I'd experiment a bit next week.

Would like to see 2 of Drake/Crowe/O'Donoghue start. We all know what the full back line from yesterday can do at this stage. Try Diskin/Reape/Coen in the full forward line. Doherty has played every game so far.

I wouldn't make many other changes to the team.

They are safe in Div 1

My gut is he'll ring the changes to a significant degree next week.

Monaghan were excellent on their last visit to Castlebar in the first round of the league in 2017.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Its kind of getting lost in everything but Kerry were awful tonight and the same defensive failings are still there
    Run at them and they part like the Red Sea

True but Sherwood was missing and in many ways he's been player of the league for them. Gavin Whyte to come in too.

Clifford and geaney to obviously come in up front and Donoghue already looked sharp again

It's very hard to be uber consistent in the league in fairness .

We'll see do many from Crokes put their hand up today. Likewise with Corofin and Galway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement