Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Very sad to hear would always see the helicopter out around where I live and sail in howth. Hear them on the vhf when training or out on exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

One of the rescue helicopters has left the scene and landed at Castlebar hospital in the last half hour so I suspect we'll have another update shortly.

Was tracked at 160 knots which is its maximum speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No, it was Eugene Clonan.
    Two interviews took place on Morning Ireland - the initial one with local photographer Fergus Sweeney and the second with Eugene Clonan.

But again this is really irrelevant in terms of the bigger picture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

CASA 253 returning to Baldonnel at 09:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Listen to the news to date on Newstalk. This is heartbreaking stuff.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Eugene Clonans real empathy makes what is happening more 'real' and heartbreaking than the usual corporate robots usually wheeled out by agencies/corporations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Lads does it really matter who said what for god sake interviews shouldn't be done untill all facts are known really but in this day and age people NEED to know straight away so all kinds of info ends up being circulated which is not fair on anybody as they don't even know exactly what is going on so give both the guys a break on the big scheme of things today does it really matter that much

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

As someone who works in the airport and can see across the Apron to where this aircraft is based and as someone who lives close to the coast; every time I see the helicopter go up or overhead I spare a thought for whoever needs them. Again as someone who sees the safety practices in action at the airport for aircraft everyday, I know everyone takes safety and their work very seriously. These guys go up in the air and go into storms etc when no-one else will; they fly aircraft to the limits to help others.

Thoughts are with the crew, their colleagues and families.

Minister wrote: »
    Eugene Clonans real empathy makes what is happening more 'real' and heartbreaking than the usual corporate robots usually wheeled out by agencies/corporations etc.

I think also, when it involves your own countrymen, it adds to the heartbreak, it feels much closer to home.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

As someone who works in the airport and can see across the Apron to where this aircraft is based and as someone who lives close to the coast; every time I see the helicopter go up or overhead I spare a thought for whoever needs them. Again as someone who sees the safety practices in action at the airport for aircraft everyday, I know everyone takes safety and their work very seriously. These guys go up in the air and go into storms etc when no-one else will; they fly aircraft to the limits to help others.

Thoughts are with the crew, their colleagues and families.

So that others may live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Such sad news. I hope the rescued crew member makes a full recovery. My house is on the flight path into UHG and often hear the helicopters going in and out of the hospital. It's only when we wake up to news like this that most of us realise how brave those crew members and there families actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Absolutely - There's a reason ATC clear them to fly direct across the runways.

There are many who owe so much to the few SAR crews in ireland and around the world

JillyQ wrote: »
    Such sad news. I hope the rescued crew member makes a full recovery. My house is on the flight path into UHG and often hear the helicopters going in and out of the hospital. It's only when we wake up to news like this that most of us realise how brave those crew members and there families actually are.

Same here. I work quite close to SGH, and it's quite a regular occurrence here too. Only heard the Chopper at the weekend, and always makes you stop and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Chaps I appreciate it's an emotional time but can we stow all the plaudits and focus on the events. It's hard to follow the actual news here.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

This is not the time for any form of criticism.

Last AIS position and course suggests they may have been trying for the landing pad on Black Rock. Heaven knows why there appears to have been no Mayday if they were trying for or even thought there was a potential need for an emergency landing. Please God the fantastic response from all on scene will yield some positive news soon and the critical casualty is stabilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

achill lifeboat on the way back to port.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    One of the rescue helicopters has left the scene and landed at Castlebar hospital in the last half hour so I suspect we'll have another update shortly.

Was tracked at 160 knots which is its maximum speed.

have they actually transferred the injured fisherman off yet?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

irishgeo wrote: »

Yes, last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

irishgeo wrote: »

Yes it was a seperate helicopter that did this, 116 was providing aerial cover for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

why would the chopper be still on the ground in castlebar over an hour after arriving? Why not re-join the SAR operation?
    Would the crew have exceeded a max number of shift hours or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Looks like Sligo based CG Helicopter is rejoining the search. It's just northwest of Ballina enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Terrible news, such brave people.
    Is that on flight radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Lots of the vessels/aircraft involved in the search are visible on marinetraffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Daibheid wrote: »
    This is not the time for any form of criticism.

Indeed, or speculation.

Horrific news, thoughts are with the crew, their families and colleagues.

Very scary too, the potential impact on ongoing SAR activities and indeed other maritime operations everywhere. The S92 being such a workhorse and having such a fantastic safety record.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

beanian wrote: »
    why would the chopper be still on the ground in castlebar over an hour after arriving? Why not re-join the SAR operation?
    Would the crew have exceeded a max number of shift hours or something?

They had been out since 2am searching for their colleagues, time to let another unit take over. Their colleague was recovered by lifeboat and she may have been brought to Castlebar, which might be why they are there at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Veloce wrote: »
    Looks like Sligo based CG Helicopter is rejoining the search. It's just northwest of Ballina enroute.

Looks like it spent about 40 minutes searching the area in the early hours of the morning, on its way back from the fishing vessel rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Awful news, a huge loss. Those people impact so many people's lives in such difficult conditions. I hope they can discover what happened. 

News said no mayday call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Any way to listen to channel 16 over the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Any idea what sort of flying time the S92s have on a full tank?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement