Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-09-2020, 11:58   #1576
DavidJC

170 down and 52 up just now.. 4g+

I wonder is it dependent on usage? I'd be a fairly light user
Advertisement
17-09-2020, 19:28   #1577
4motion

I always had over 150mb download since last top up few days ago my speed whent down to 15mb max download and 50mb up. Didn't get 10euro back as well.
Thanks from:
18-09-2020, 00:47   #1578
dowtchaboy

This doesn't make any logical sense, but - since my last topup, which was my first on the new unlimited data/limited speed plan - I have been clocking up massive usage. Even in a week where I watched one or no catch-up TV programmes I've been clocked as using 5GB to 10GBytes of data a day!
I can't track it down. I'v taken to disconnecting everything, my TV, the NOW TV stick, the Mac and the PC, and the tablet. just is case there's some big OS update going on and maybe crapping out before completion and trying again the next night. I've turned off spotify and Google Play Music too, just in case.
Up to now I rarely approached my 25GB a month (plus whatever I used at free weekends), now in 15 days I've used 100GB according to MyVodafone. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have a guy out on the laneway stealing my bandwidth!

Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker
18-09-2020, 12:13   #1579
Buffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtchaboy View Post
I have been clocking up massive usage.
.........Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker

Data usage in your phones settings should tell you what app is using the data.
18-09-2020, 12:46   #1580
dowtchaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
Data usage in your phones settings should tell you what app is using the data.
Oh the Covid bit was just a joke.
The majority of my data is not used on the phone- it's by the devices in the house, through the use of the phone as a "hotspot" (I don't have wired broadband). Trouble is that doesn't tell me which device - the Mac did some humungous updates in recent times, and there was a huge Windows update on the PC that I suspect might have crapped out before completion, and maybe started all over next day. The LG TV and the NOW TV dongle I presume don't use any data when I have the TV off. I'm less sure about Spotify which is/was sitting in the background on both PC and Mac - I wasn't playing anything recently but you'd wonder is it still drawing data down?
The only way to find out is disconnect and turn off everything with a WiFi connection, and day by day turn one on and see if the reported data usage jumps up.
Looks like we'll be isolating again soon so I'll have lots of time track it down!
Advertisement
18-09-2020, 12:54   #1581
CoBo55

Quote:
The majority of my data is not used on the phone- it's by the devices in the house, through the use of the phone as a "hotspot" (I don't have wired broadband). Trouble is that doesn't tell me which device - the Mac did some humungous updates in recent times, and there was a huge Windows update on the PC that I suspect might have crapped out before completion, and maybe started all over next day. The LG TV and the NOW TV dongle I presume don't use any data when I have the TV off. I'm less sure about Spotify which is/was sitting in the background on both PC and Mac - I wasn't playing anything recently but you'd wonder is it still drawing data down?
The only way to find out is disconnect and turn off everything with a WiFi connection, and day by day turn one on and see if the reported data usage jumps up.
Looks like we'll be isolating again soon so I'll have lots of time track it down!
Windows update for all its failings doesn't start afresh if an update gets interrupted, it picks up from where it stopped. I couldn't see any of the music apps consuming large amounts of data, anyone in the house downloading/sharing torrents? They're usually the main culprit.
18-09-2020, 17:57   #1582
homingbird

I Just left vodafone half way thru a month as it seem they have put the brakes on download speed mine went all the way back to 8mb from as good as 80mb download speed.
21-09-2020, 08:38   #1583
corks finest

Quote:
This doesn't make any logical sense, but - since my last topup, which was my first on the new unlimited data/limited speed plan - I have been clocking up massive usage. Even in a week where I watched one or no catch-up TV programmes I've been clocked as using 5GB to 10GBytes of data a day!
I can't track it down. I'v taken to disconnecting everything, my TV, the NOW TV stick, the Mac and the PC, and the tablet. just is case there's some big OS update going on and maybe crapping out before completion and trying again the next night. I've turned off spotify and Google Play Music too, just in case.
Up to now I rarely approached my 25GB a month (plus whatever I used at free weekends), now in 15 days I've used 100GB according to MyVodafone. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have a guy out on the laneway stealing my bandwidth!

Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker
That seems impossible
21-09-2020, 08:45   #1584
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by homingbird View Post
I Just left vodafone half way thru a month as it seem they have put the brakes on download speed mine went all the way back to 8mb from as good as 80mb download speed.
Monday 8.43/ 70 down 6.8 up
2 minutes previously
22 down 7.8 up
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 09:09   #1585
bromley52

Quote:
If you are tethering to anything try changing your tethering password which will disconnect everting. Then one by one reconnect.
Check your back ups, photos etc that your are set to backup over WiFi only. Make sure you are not backing up any movie download folders in error.
Thanks from:
22-09-2020, 18:05   #1586
mik_da_man
Hosted Moderator

HMod: OTG
Sort of linked to this but have people seen issues with getting charged for tethering?
I was not charged until recently, it was usually allowed in your data allowance as far as I could see.
Lately it just ate all my credit...
22-09-2020, 18:52   #1587
Ten Pin

Quote:
Sort of linked to this but have people seen issues with getting charged for tethering?
I was not charged until recently, it was usually allowed in your data allowance as far as I could see.
Lately it just ate all my credit...
Check your APNs, delete all others except the Live APN.

Have you changed handset or updated OS lately?
23-09-2020, 11:17   #1588
mik_da_man
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Pin View Post
Check your APNs, delete all others except the Live APN.

Have you changed handset or updated OS lately?
Yeah, I've changed my handset all right, that might be it, cheers.
23-09-2020, 12:11   #1589
mik_da_man
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik_da_man View Post
Yeah, I've changed my handset all right, that might be it, cheers.
Not able to delete the hs one.. need root on android I think... Hmmmm..
24-09-2020, 17:17   #1590
dowtchaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromley52 View Post
If you are tethering to anything try changing your tethering password which will disconnect everting. Then one by one reconnect.
Check your back ups, photos etc that your are set to backup over WiFi only. Make sure you are not backing up any movie download folders in error.
Yes, a good idea. I have a sneaky feeling that there could be a backup or sync going on - too many DropBoxes and GoogleDrive, OneDrive and iCloud and even some which I've forgotten. I thought they were all disabled, but you never know. And yes there's Google's Photo app, and I've been creating FLAC files from my CDs, wonder if Google Play Music is picking up on this and synching it? Odd thing is though I've been using Vodafone X for a year and more, but it's only since the new deal started has this usage balooned up from 20GB-ish to way over 100GB.
I also need to dig into the TV to ensure I'm not using way too high resolution. My TV is HD, but not 4K or anything, and it seems to use about 1GB per hour on All4 and Virgin box sets.
My deal resets tomorrow so I'll see what app raises its head.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion