Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Still looking for a supplier

Another friend suggested below

https://mulch.ie/products/logs-coal

How do their prices and products compare to others.

Branch near us so can collect them save on delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

rebeve wrote: »
    My ton of rocket blaze ecologs arrived today .Fired up the stove in 13 x 13 ft room with three logs , left them burn for abt 30 mins and then I put a ash log in .

The heat is unreal , but you would want to use the ash logs as well to keep the costs down . Very pleased with my first test firing without coal .

Yeah I found they did heat up very quickly. But thought they burnt quick too. Closing stove down to a glow the temperature dropped though pretty quick. But I’m thinking I need a bit more time to get used to lighting and controlling wood fires instead of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Still looking for a supplier

Another friend suggested below

https://mulch.ie/products/logs-coal

How do their prices and products compare to others.

Branch near us so can collect them save on delivery

Don't know about the firewood but the prices they quoting for supertherm is criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Blowheads wrote: »
    Don't know about the firewood but the prices they quoting for supertherm is criminal

Even the 10 bags for €210 is expensive
    I was paying €19 not so long ago

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Even the 10 bags for €210 is expensive
    I was paying €19 not so long ago

Thanks

Without having to go through all posts

What's the best firewood available in Dublin area

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am new into hardwoods but I would say 330 for 2m3 Ash or Oak.
    Muahahaha can answer this better.
    FFVII wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I have been using Monahans lately , good service too. http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php
    Thanks

Without having to go through all posts

What's the best firewood available in Dublin area

Cheers

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Ordered from Surefire yesterday and just landed there now, quick delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got 2m3 of oak from Monahans for 350 but the price has since gone up to 370. The site you linked in 390 for 2m3 so Monahans are still slightly cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

chris_ie wrote: »
    Ordered from Surefire yesterday and just landed there now, quick delivery!

Really is fast. Let us know how you get on with wood. I think its great stuff

Tony wrote: »
    I have been using Monahans lately , good service too. http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

Cheers

Ordered 10 bags just for starters and short on storage

Said they cannot deliver till early next week

So see how this goes

First fire on now with the wood.

Started with 4 rocket blazes stacked in a H. Fire going fairly quickly up to good temperature. Added a log.

Once into got up to the optimum temperature, according to the the stove thermometer, I closed off the air a bit so the flames weren’t roaring.

Added another few logs. Temperature stayed in the sweet spot for a while but when It dropped a bit I added another log. Fire kinda went down and I had to open up the air again.

Through more logs than I thought. But completely cleaned the stove out before hand. So hoping once the ashes are established and a bed of embers it might burn slower and more consistently.

They should off a course on lighting and controlling a wood fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ciarsd wrote: »
    Any recommendations for 1m3 of kiln dried oak delivered? My usual two suppliers are out of stock and I'm hesitant in taking a gamble elsewhere without a recommendation, given some terrible experiences in the past with poor quality fuel. I am based in Dublin if that makes a difference. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I did ring around and ended up with another order from Bioglow. They had no crates of oak left (I am only interested in oak), but did offer me a pallet of 32 x 40L nets of kiln dried oak. A first for me. That has equated to around 460kg of firewood for €230 delivered.

https://www.bioglow.ie/kiln-dried-oak-logs

The wood appears similar to the scraps of crate oak left from a previous order with Bioglow, fingers crossed it burns as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

my father is getting a new stove and is actually going to get wood pellet stove? Is that the way now? Is that what people are getting nowadays? Off topic maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tony wrote: »

Sound lads these

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Didn’t get delivered but collected from yard between 4 to 5 m3 of hardwood in Kilbrin, north Cork ,bit of a trek for me and had to get a loan of trailer but great value and easy to deal with . €350

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Bit better value than monahan's here, got from them last year. Exactly as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

RonTon wrote: »
    Didn’t get delivered but collected from yard between 4 to 5 m3 of hardwood in Kilbrin, north Cork ,bit of a trek for me and had to get a loan of trailer but great value and easy to deal with . €350

Who is this?

bailey99 wrote: »
    Who is this?

TinTéan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What size trailer for that much

What size trailer for that much

Sry don’t know , got a loan of it. Double axle filled to the brim

Be a fine trailer for 4-5 meters, this trailer of mine is 12 by 5''6 and I'd reckon it holds 2.5 metres Max.

Be a fine trailer for 4-5 meters, this trailer of mine is 12 by 5''6 and I'd reckon it holds 2.5 metres Max.

Yup similar trailer but had sides up to top of of the front bar on yours

Yup similar trailer but had sides up to top of of the front bar on yours

You'd be ok then, some lads selling logs are way out with there trailer, and bag measurements.

Would a wood stove be much more efficient at burning wood than a multi fuel stove?

chris_ie wrote: »
    Would a wood stove be much more efficient at burning wood than a multi fuel stove?

Don't know, wood burning stoves generally are not lined internally with firebrick, check the efficiency figures if you are buying something.

Don't know, wood burning stoves generally are not lined internally with firebrick, check the efficiency figures if you are buying something.

Just curious more than anything. We have a Stanley Erin boiler stove. Multi fuel so has the ash pan below grate. Was just curious if, in general, wood only stoves were more efficient.

my father is getting a new stove and is actually going to get wood pellet stove? Is that the way now? Is that what people are getting nowadays? Off topic maybe.

AFAIK wood pellet stoves are mainly for people who are heating radiators off them. Most people just heating a single room have a normal wood burning stove rather than a pellet one. If you go over to the Heating and Plumbing forum theres a good thread there on stoves with help from lads who install them and they'll know whats suitable for your dad.

• Advertisement

Thats great value really, if I had the storage space I think buying it by the trailer load is the way to go as there are significant savings over buying it by the crate. . Do you know what hardwoods they were or is it a mix of everything? And how long did it take you to stack the lot of it into storage, its a lot of wood.

Advertisement