Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2020, 23:14   #361
gooner99

I might just take a chance as it's local in Donegal. I have a shed to store the wood, so at least the moisture content shouldn't rise too much in the coming months.

How do It tell how much wood I would actually get?

Is there a moisture meter I can get at a decent price?
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 23:50   #362
Muahahaha

Well 2.5m3 is a fair bit of wood but it depends how often you light the fire. For comparison last winter I had 1.2m3 of hardwood and lit around two fires a week with three the odd time. It lasted from mid October to around about Paddys day. If I had 2.5m3 I reckon I could get nearly two winters out of it.

To find out the volume in cubic meters you need to measure the height by width by depth of whatever it comes in (a crate or a trailer presumably) to arrive at your answer of exactly how much you are getting. Also be aware of the difference between hand stacked logs in a crate and logs in a bulk bag that has about 30% fresh air in it and thus less logs than a crate.

re: moisture meters they pop up in Aldi/Lidi middle aisles from time to time, around about 15 euro or so. But if you need one quicker then Amazon/ebay should have them for a similar price. Note the cheap ones are not super accurate but they will at least give you a fair idea of how dry the wood is.

If you're going ahead with the local fella in Donegal its a good idea to ask him what moisture content is it before you buy and better if you had a moisture meter to check it upon arrival. Ideally it should be 20% moisture or less but if it showed up and it was 25% I wouldnt be too bothered as it will get drier again in your shed. But if it came in at 35 or 40% Id be sending it back.

Last edited by Muahahaha; 13-09-2020 at 23:58.
Thanks from:
15-09-2020, 22:58   #363
lenscap

I have used compressed sawdust logs called Rocket Blazers. A pallett of 96 bales I got this time last year and I have still 10 left now.

Ok I burn Ecobrite smokeless coal and eco logs in a 16kw backboiler stove running 11 rads.

On average, ove the last few years, I burn 1 ton of Ecobrite coal and 90 bales of Rocket Blazer ecologs from October through to April, stove burning average 8-10 hours a day.

I found the ecologs easier to use than wood logs, easier to store (must be water tight), and they have moisture of 8-10%.
I got fed up with checking logs for moisture at delivery time and getting consistant heat from them.
16-09-2020, 08:12   #364
soap1978

How much you paying for the Rocket Blazer ecologs and where you getting them👍
16-09-2020, 15:54   #365
lenscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap1978 View Post
How much you paying for the Rocket Blazer ecologs and where you getting them👍

A pallet of 96 bales, with free delivery €399.

https://www.ecologs.ie/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-09-2020, 00:41   #366
oleras

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenscap View Post
I have used compressed sawdust logs called Rocket Blazers. A pallett of 96 bales I got this time last year and I have still 10 left now.

Ok I burn Ecobrite smokeless coal and eco logs in a 16kw backboiler stove running 11 rads.

On average, ove the last few years, I burn 1 ton of Ecobrite coal and 90 bales of Rocket Blazer ecologs from October through to April, stove burning average 8-10 hours a day.

I found the ecologs easier to use than wood logs, easier to store (must be water tight), and they have moisture of 8-10%.
I got fed up with checking logs for moisture at delivery time and getting consistant heat from them.
You can keep a 16kw back boiler stove going 10 hours a day on 6 of those eco logs...with coal ? How much coal are you burning a day ? in KG ?
17-09-2020, 13:57   #367
lenscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleras View Post
You can keep a 16kw back boiler stove going 10 hours a day on 6 of those eco logs...with coal ? How much coal are you burning a day ? in KG ?
Yes, but remember it's average over 6-7 months over the last 3 years.
So average coal is 5 or 6 kg. I know it sounds ridiculously small amount but that is the average of 3 years fuel consumption.
One year I have logs left over, another I ran out and had to use local logs.
Max running stove is 10 hours and that is only in very cold weather.
Thanks from:
17-09-2020, 14:02   #368
Skippy along

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner99 View Post
I might just take a chance as it's local in Donegal. I have a shed to store the wood, so at least the moisture content shouldn't rise too much in the coming months.

How do It tell how much wood I would actually get?

Is there a moisture meter I can get at a decent price?
Got this yesterday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003CSNV..._o51yFb27A6AGV
Thanks from:
19-09-2020, 20:21   #369
Pacifico

First time log buyer here! Looking at the 2m pallet of ash/oak for 350...any better value out there? I assume the ash/oak is worth the extra 20 over the birch?!
Advertisement
19-09-2020, 23:30   #370
deisedav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
First time log buyer here! Looking at the 2m pallet of ash/oak for 350...any better value out there? I assume the ash/oak is worth the extra 20 over the birch?!
Yeah definitely. Birch is good for starting a fire it burns hot but it doesn't last long compared to oak or Ash.
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2020, 08:17   #371
Cloudio9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedav View Post
Yeah definitely. Birch is good for starting a fire it burns hot but it doesn't last long compared to oak or Ash.
Also birch is very messy inside the house with bits of bark peeling off.
20-09-2020, 09:04   #372
OmegaGene

Anyone any thoughts on this

https://logsonline.ie/kiln-dried-fir...iABEgLi-vD_BwE

I normally get wood from my ovoid supplier but he won’t deliver wood only
20-09-2020, 09:50   #373
Cloudio9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaGene View Post
Anyone any thoughts on this

https://logsonline.ie/kiln-dried-fir...iABEgLi-vD_BwE

I normally get wood from my ovoid supplier but he won’t deliver wood only
As they’re charging €263 for a crate it looks like an expensive place.
20-09-2020, 13:50   #374
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Yeah Im going to go with the 2m3 crate this year myself as it offers better value over the 1.2m3 ones-
1.2m3 @ 240 euro = 200 euro per cubic metre
2m3 @ 350 euro = 175 euro per cubic metre

The 'free delivery' you get is really costing you 50 euro so there is an overall saving by buying it in bigger quantities (if you have the storage space) and hence having less deliveries. Out of the 2m3 I'll likely use about 1.2m3 of wood this winter and then have 0.8m3 left to get me two thirds the way through the following winter, perhaps to about February. Then another 2m3 crate will finish off that winter and take care of all of the next one with no need to buy again for the winter of 2022.
Thanks from:
21-09-2020, 09:38   #375
Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenscap View Post
A pallet of 96 bales, with free delivery €399.

https://www.ecologs.ie/
Are these worth the extra money to hardwood logs? Or is 96 bales bigger than the 1.2/2m pallets? What am I missing here?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion