Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

beertons wrote: »
    Am I getting it right? 40kg Polish Coal for €8? Would this be ok for a stove?

yep thats correct, i should have my delivery tomorrow 25 bags for 200 yoyo and delivery at 61 ish works out at just over 10 per bag... btw perfect for a stove thats what im burning

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

pm. wrote: »
    yep thats correct, i should have my delivery tomorrow 25 bags for 200 yoyo and delivery at 61 ish works out at just over 10 per bag... btw perfect for a stove thats what im burning

Class. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

pm. wrote: »

And I'm getting mine tomorrow as well. I forgot about the Bank Holiday up the North, otherwise I guess it would have arrived today.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone try the Black Diamond last winter?, I heard it was just larger version of the polish coal???

• Registered Users Posts: 17 invalidkey

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone try the Black Diamond last winter?, I heard it was just larger version of the polish coal???

I had both - black diamond in my open fire felt marginally hotter and a better burn but I decided it wasn't worth the extra, the polish I got has a large range of sizes in bags from dust to almost pineapple size - the black diamond seemed more consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

When you say Premium Polish do the bags have the Black Diamond name on them?

I placed an order today. I asked for the Premium Polish for an open fire. I was told Black Diamond is Premium Polish but on there fb page Black Diamond is described as semi smokeless.

I'll have to ring them to clarify.

I wonder does the Black Diamond have the same heat as the cheaper, regular Polish stuff in an open fire?

EDIT above post just beat me - I'll stick with my order of Black Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I ordered polish coal at 8, and bkack diamond at 10 - all white bags.

Its for an open fire and wanted "smokey" coal so hope the Black Diamond isn't semi smokeless.

vicwatson wrote:
    Its for an open fire and wanted "smokey" coal so hope the Black Diamond isn't semi smokeless.

Just rang them. Mistake in description. Not semi smokeless but Premium Polish. Picture of bag on fb page shows 'Polish Coal' printed on bag but text underneath describing coal as semi smokeless on page is wrong.

Compared to the regular stuff told coal size more consistent, better quality coal - suppose to burn better with more heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Ordered two pallets of the Black diamond Monday and received same yesterday afternoon.
    Lorry was able to get within 10 feet of where I was going to store it, so nice and handy for handballing the bags to their final storage space which did not take me long and are now covered well to protect from rain.
    Well pleased with this purchase €618 all in, where my local providers would have charged me €875 for 50 bags of Stafford polish coal and this black diamond looks to be better stuff. (Proof will be in the burning though)
    Thanks to the OP and all other posters on this thread with all the advice and tips they have contributed to this thread and other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

That crowd should give me a free pallet by way of commission!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

If your buying coal for a stove it should say for a closed appliance on the bag.as in a stove or cooker.however if you buy ordinary coal and your stove has a boiler then the extra heat can go to the water.but if your stove is only a space heater then you could risk doing harm to the troath plate or even worse twisting the stove itself

• Registered Users Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

crock! wrote: »
    If your buying coal for a stove it should say for a closed appliance on the bag.as in a stove or cooker.however if you buy ordinary coal and your stove has a boiler then the extra heat can go to the water.but if your stove is only a space heater then you could risk doing harm to the troath plate or even worse twisting the stove itself

So which one then?

What type of stove haven't you.one that heats water or not

What type of stove haven't you.one that heats water or not

Non boiler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Non boiler

Then I would go for one that says for a closed appliance.as in egobrite

Then I would go for one that says for a closed appliance.as in egobrite

So which one of these coals from this company?

So which one of these coals from this company?

You buy a bag that says for a closed appliance from what ever company you like.you gave a stove and you don't want to damage it.

You buy a bag that says for a closed appliance from what ever company you like.you gave a stove and you don't want to damage it.

I know plenty of people who do and have never had any damage.

Wrong thread anyway for this scare mongering

I know plenty of people who do and have never had any damage.

Wrong thread anyway for this scare mongering

Ask a stove supplier or ask some one that makes flues and supplies.as in mi flues.oral flues.or shl. I've seen first hand the damage from cheap fuel.ask you self why is it so cheap.

I think I'm going to get 13 polish and 12 stovid smokeless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Ask a stove supplier or ask some one that makes flues and supplies.as in mi flues.oral flues.or shl. I've seen first hand the damage from cheap fuel.ask you self why is it so cheap.

Seconded besides the damage is caused by excessive temperature as a result of petcoke in blended fuels the sulphur limit in nortnern Ireland is 2.85 times higher than the republic leading to higher sulphur dioxide emissions which can go on to produce sulfuric acid which eats flues and stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sledger77

Has anyone tried the Countyblend smokeless? What is the mix? I'm looking for a mix of ovoids, nuggets and petcoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Seconded besides the damage is caused by excessive temperature as a result of petcoke in blended fuels the sulphur limit in nortnern Ireland is 2.85 times higher than the republic leading to higher sulphur dioxide emissions which can go on to produce sulfuric acid which eats flues and stoves.
    Thanks for that info and apologies for my ignorance but would that apply to the ovoids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Bif wrote: »
    Thanks for that info and apologies for my ignorance but would that apply to the ovoids?

I would say that ovoids would probably be the best for you.

Other problems with cheap coal in stoves is that the cheaper coal produces far too much tar and soot when it burns. Thats OK in an open fire because the chimney is hot with a good flow of air up it all the time so most of the crap makes it out of the chimney. With a stove the chimney is much colder and the air flow is very much reduced so the tar and other crap condenses on the sides of the chimney so it blocks up very much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

my3cents wrote: »
    I would say that ovoids would probably be the best for you.

Other problems with cheap coal in stoves is that the cheaper coal produces far too much tar and soot when it burns. Thats OK in an open fire because the chimney is hot with a good flow of air up it all the time so most of the crap makes it out of the chimney. With a stove the chimney is much colder and the air flow is very much reduced so the tar and other crap condenses on the sides of the chimney so it blocks up very much quicker.

Thanks. I have burned Ecobrite and Phurnacite in my stove for the last few years. Dont want to change if the product has significantly worse emmissions or can damage the the stove / flue. Other than that it seems good value and a good service.

That was a fairly easy process. Small sale on the coal at the mo, 80c a bag knocked off. €250, and 58 for delivery next Wednesday.

Thanks OP and others for the advice. Sitting in front of a lovely fire atm! I have an open fire so its nice to have a decent flame rather than that rubbish smokeless stuff. Even the dogs notice the difference!

Received a pallet of Black Diamond lunchtime. Ace Express via 'Joe McGovern' courier (Cavan?). Driver decent guy. Told me straight away that there was a good chance pallet would split. So I can hop up into the back of the lorry to help. Between the two of us we put 10 on to a second pallet. Then pulled/pushed pallets up driveway. I think there was a post before on pallets splitting - would have doubled the workload for me if it happened. Might be handy if you have another person to help. (The original pallet was old, worn with rusty nails. Might be an idea to insist on driver bringing a spare pallet if he is not experienced with load?)

Spent all afternoon shifting the bags to back of house and covering. But happy out now! Opening bag, straight away you can see quality of coal. Mostly medium pieces with a few larger ones. Clean. Lovely high flame and lovely heat.

On this pallet alone I have saved 165 euro compared to my options with my local supplier. I would have stayed local but the loss of heat with the smokeless stuff in an open fire is huge and I would be throwing my money away. (For various reasons a stove doesn't suit presently.)

Thanks again for the advice. Sorted for the winter now!

odckdo wrote: »
    On this pallet alone I have saved 165 euro compared to my options with my local supplier. I would have stayed local but the loss of heat with the smokeless stuff in an open fire is huge and I would be throwing my money away. (For various reasons a stove doesn't suit presently.)

What smokeless were you burning, a quality smokeless ovid has a lot more energy than any bituminous coal, union nuggets on the other hand are basically turf.

What smokeless were you burning, a quality smokeless ovid has a lot more energy than any bituminous coal, union nuggets on the other hand are basically turf.

'Calco'. Last winter was the first full time on smokeless. It was OK on mild nights but on very cold nights it was useless. Also it burnt out a new grate.

My only other choice available locally was the 'Country Blend' which I think is no better than Calco. I was told there would be no market for ovoids as folks wouldn't pay over 20 euro for a bag of coal!

Hopefully the Black Diamond will do the job for me.

(Does the ovoids have a low flame like all smokeless but an intense heat such that it wouldn't be easy on the grate?

Would a bag of ovoids go further than a bag of Polish?)

• Advertisement

odckdo wrote: »
    'Calco'. Last winter was the first full time on smokeless. It was OK on mild nights but on very cold nights it was useless. Also it burnt out a new grate.

My only other choice available locally was the 'Country Blend' which I think is no better than Calco. I was told there would be no market for ovoids as folks wouldn't pay over 20 euro for a bag of coal!

Hopefully the Black Diamond will do the job for me.

(Does the ovoids have a low flame like all smokeless but an intense heat such that it wouldn't be easy on the grate?

Would a bag of ovoids go further than a bag of Polish?)

Calco is a mix of union nuggets and petcoke, petcoke burns at a far higher temperature than regular coal and has no protective ash so it can destroy grates and stoves the nuggets are there to provide ash and reduce the overall temperature but as you found out it doesn't work in a lot of situations. Country Blend is the same thing with a few ovids chucked into the mix.

The ovids burn a lot longer but at a lower temperature if you only light the fire for a couple of hours in the evening if mightn;t suit you I'd say if you thought calco wasn't hot enough then ovids aren't for you.

Advertisement