Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

And now we have another cornerback, Mike Jenkins from the Cowboys. No glitter, just sensible ball players. No stupid attitude, just good work ethic. This is the future of the franchise people, better get used to it. I can take the fact that we arent signing big names or splashing out big money for free agents. Once we start playing better that's all that matters. All these idiots who preface posts with "Just win Baby" and talk about Al's legacy, well they are in for a big change!! It might be hard to get excited about Mike Jenkins, Matt Flynn but if they make Oakland respectable again I'll be more than happy. Good man Reggie!

I see that McClain has been arrested again - good riddance to bad rubbish.

Be interested to see who Reggie picks in Round 2 now, there's a lot of talent still left out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If Damontre Moore is there I'd be shocked if we passed up on him, would be delighted to get him. But even if he's gone we'll still grab a very good player. The trade with the Dolphins might not have looked good on a draft points chart but it was a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Interesting first round pick, I like the sound of DJ, hope he delivers, he sounds like the sort of guy that won't be lacking in application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

@LATimesfarmer: Wow. Amy Trask has resigned as the Raiders' top executive.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    @LATimesfarmer: Wow. Amy Trask has resigned as the Raiders' top executive.
    Yup, the clean out continues - She will be picked up by another team pretty quickly I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Charles Woodson signed 1 yr deal - good to see him back , hopefully he can help to mentor some of the new additions to the secondary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would love to see him have a great year with the Raiders

Its nice to see Woodson picking Oakland over other teams. If nothing else its proof that McKenzie and Allen are building something good there. He didnt come here to win anything, for it looks like the Raiders wont be seeing post season play, but it seems that he likes the setup here now, and that is no bad thing in itself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207163/article/dj-hayden-hospitalized-probably-out-until-camp

DJ Hayden underwent precautionary surgery to remove scar tissue from his abdominal area after complaining of stomach pain. Not related to his heart scare from last year.

From what he has recovered from this should be a mere mole-hill for him so hope he bounces straight back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Very disappointing to hear that starting LT Jared Veldeer, the Raiders best OL and one of few stars on the team, has suffered a torn triceps which will require surgery, possibly ending his season(though the team may play him on IR with a designation to return, which would only see him miss the first half of the season). Even more disappointing for Veldeer personally as he is entering a contract year and another solid season would have increased his value.

Looks as though Alex Barron will start at LT against New Orleans on Friday now.

It looks like it's going to be a long and painful season already.

Yup, dont get the expectations up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Matt Flynn started all three pre-season games and his performances have been underwhelming so far, even though he started the pre-season as strong favourite to be starting QB on opening day and most statements from the team have suggested that there had been no change in this.

This, however, could be set to change, as Terrelle Pryor outperformed Flynn against the Bears and seemed a greater threat to score. Head coach Dennis Allen was asked post match whether Pryor could now be the starter and he answered "I think obviously we’ve got to look at it. I don’t think Matt played well in this game. Obviously I felt Terrelle came in, gave us a spark and played well.", he also added later "What I’m going to look at…. who gives us the best chance to move the ball down field and score points? And what combination of things give us the best chance to move the ball down the field and score points? All right? Obviously, I’m not going to look at one night and base any type of decision on one night. I’m going to go back and look at it, see where we go from here."

Teams traditionally play their starters either sparingly or not at all in the final pre-season game, so it will be interesting to see who starts next week, but looking at the pre-season performances, Pryor may now have a real chance of starting in Week One.

Personally, given the abysmal performances by the defence and the O -line in the pre-season, even allowing for Pryor's inexperience, I think he offers the only real chance to chalk up a few wins, as the O-line are probably incapable of protecting a pocket passer like Flynn and the defence may conceed a mountain of scores. In any case, if they persist with Flynn, he'll probably be out injured early on, as he is relentlessly punished by the opposition pass rush(he was sacked 5 times last week against the Saints in the first half.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Colts fan here, cant wait to play yee Sunday, finally football is back, may the best team win! best of LUCK :D

I think our D is better than people think but it will likely struggle to stop the run.

On Offense we do have the run game (Pryor/McFadden/Reece are all threats) that opposing teams will stack against. Our passing game will need to make some plays, not sure we have the QB or WR talent to do that week in week out. Shame we lost Veldheer to injury, our O-line looked decent enough with him there.

I think we've a chance against the Colts, they're no great shakes themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Yup anyone could win, first game and all that and we are vastly overrated I feel. Good first team and will be better at stopping the run, worry over fitness of out tightends, cant win for sunday now! interesting see how yee get on at QB.

Well, we're still in this game and Pryor is looking good!!

Pryor was good, the missed field goal at the end of the 2nd Quarter proved to be costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Jeeez lads Pryor looks like a player. So elusive. Not looking forward to matching up against him now. Bring back Matt Flynn all is forgiven and predictable!!.

#OneCharge

Well pleased with how Oakland kept in the game till the end. I know we wont be challenging for anything but if we can stay competitive in each game it will be progress.

Positives

1. We have a QB

2. because of the QB's elusiveness, the pressure is off the O-Line, which is just as well.

3. The Defense stepped up yesterday and showed that they have potential

Negatives

1. McFadden - I'm not sure if it was the line or him but the actual running game needs to step up

2. Pryor is not great throwing the ball, some of those ball were badly underthrown. But he is a work in progress

3. Whilst the Defense have potential, Luck had way too much time to pick us apart, especially in the first half. Luck is good but imagine what will happen when Denver shows up against us??

There are positivie signs, no-one gave us a snowballs chance in hell to win that game and it was there for the taking. Pryor is showing good potential but he cant do it alone. And if he goes down, our season goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Matt Flynn Released today http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258558/article/matt-flynn-released-by-oakland-raiders-what-now- bit of a surprise, I know He didn't play well against the Redskins but in fairness that was without DMC and Marcel Reese for the majority of the game.

Pryor is playing well but is one hit away from missing more game time.

I was at the game last night (my first NFL game, was in the area due to work), Pryor was unreal in the 1st half, toying with the Chargers. Raiders played it safe in the 2nd half, soft defense and safe offense in order to bring home the win. Got a bit hairy a few times but got there in the end. 2-3 now and looking solid and competitive.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Matt Flynn Released today http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258558/article/matt-flynn-released-by-oakland-raiders-what-now- bit of a surprise, I know He didn't play well against the Redskins but in fairness that was without DMC and Marcel Reese for the majority of the game.

Pryor is playing well but is one hit away from missing more game time.

Apparently his attitude has been terrible which I'd say is the main reason for him being cut.

Raiders are going to be playing in Wembley next year :D

Yup, just saw that, will be seriously trying to get to this one!

So far the season is going much better than expected, 3-4, in the hunt for a wildcard slot!

Its definitely a good season so far, we appear to have a defence, even without Tyvon Branch. Pryor, well I'm not ashamed to say I was wrong about him. He's still a work in progress but we havent had a potential Franchise Quarterback like this in years. The O-Line needs to improve which should help the running game and by degree, the passing game. And I still believe that McKenzie and Allen are what this Franchise needs. The coaching staff they have put together seem to be doing a good job. Whether the likes of Olsen or Sparano stick around after this season is anyone's guess, but if things keep going like this, I will be very happy with the progress made by the Franchise.

• Advertisement

Our defense has been excellent so far. So much better than I ever expected. I still don't think Pyror is a franchise QB but happy to roll with him for the year.

Advertisement