Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    ESPN College pass or something like that, but I don't think they have EVERY game.

I think it gets you college basketball as well if you're into that:

https://www.espnplayer.com/espnplayer/secure/registerform?product=ESPN_COLLEGE_PASS

20 per month or 110 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    Lads, there are restrictions for the Republic of Ireland this year. The main man behind it all on the NFL UK forum has said it:
    To be clear, for the 2012 season, both UK and Republic of Ireland are to a 6-day blackout of select games aired on Sky Sports within NFL Game Pass. This includes regular season games as well as Playoffs and Super Bowl within the Season Plus subscription package. That said, the blackout length is subject to be shortened at any time.

You are correct, for last season, NFL Game Pass did not restrict in the Republic of Ireland. I have corrected the original post to make clear this is for the 2012 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Last year I got a friend in OZ to sign up for me and then he forwarded the login details.

Was much cheaper and I had no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭nerd69

do we know what games or how many games are being blacked out?

i mostly watch eagles games and highlights of the rest bar the playoffs so if a few of there games are not on it whats the point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

This sucks that we're getting the same restrictions as the UK. Maybe ESPN America will get the NFL contract. Maybe I could get my brother-in-law in Spain to sign up to Gamepass for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It doesn't matter where you sign up you are bound by the restrictions from where you are when you login. Or where you appear to be when you login.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

adrian522 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where you sign up you are bound by the restrictions from where you are when you login. Or where you appear to be when you login.

This was def not the case last year with my OZ login.

What do you mean? You logged in from the UK with an OZ login and were not subject to restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

ucd.1985 wrote: »

Like the above poster said I don't understand this?. Surely it is the logged in IP that is determining location and so if you're in the UK then you get the restrictions?.

V odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Guessing from your posts that your not in the UK. There was no restrictions in Ireland last year, they're being introduced this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MLB.tv which is probably based on the same system works on your IP location. You can see it when you log in. It checks to see where you are and gives you a message saying you are in an area where there are no blackout restrictions.

Hopefully Gamepass works the same way and the fact that an Irish credit card was used to buy it won't prevent you from getting full access by using an VPN saying you are in Spain or wherever.

It might be worth asking them in an email. Obviously I won't say i'll be using a VPN but make up some excuse that I travel a lot with work and if I'm abroad and want to use the service will my Irish restrictions apply or those of the country I am in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I imagine it's just like Netflix where you could use a US DNS to avoid the black outs. If you have an iPad you can use it for free through the gamepass app, but if you want to use it on the laptop I think it's about 5 dollars a month. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

ucd.1985 wrote: »

There were no blackouts in effect in Ireland last year so it wouldn't have mattered. Last year when I used it at home it worked fine but for one weekend I was in the UK and there were games blacked out. Your location is defined by the IP address not by the country of purchase. The only way around the location issue is to use a proxy but this substantially slows down your connection so it's probably not worth it seeing as you wouldn't be able to view the HD feeds without lots of buffering. To be honest the blackouts dont annoy me too much, having all the games to view during the week is what attracts me to gamepass rather than just seeing my teams games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has anyone tried to purchase this seasons game pass through the ipad app? I have been on it and it is telling me that there are no available packages in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

SantryRed wrote: »
    I imagine it's just like Netflix where you could use a US DNS to avoid the black outs. If you have an iPad you can use it for free through the gamepass app, but if you want to use it on the laptop I think it's about 5 dollars a month. Something to think about.

Having a US IP will not help ref Gamepass. Gamepass is 100% blocked to US IPs.

Leslie91 wrote: »

I use witopia. It costs around $40 a year or so but allows you to pick an IP address in a host of countries all over the world, any of which (except US and UK) should work

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    I use witopia. It costs around $40 a year or so but allows you to pick an IP address in a host of countries all over the world, any of which (except US and UK) should work

If you have an Asian IP you can get gamepass cheaper. Follow Your Team is only €89.99 and the season pass is €104.99 (in Singapore anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Leslie91 wrote: »

Yes but you could get a different one for it. Like an Asian one or even German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i use witopia as well, have you tested it with GamePass yet?

Oatesy23 wrote: »

If you have an Asian IP you can get gamepass cheaper. Follow Your Team is only €89.99 and the season pass is €104.99 (in Singapore anyway).

How do I sign up for it in Asia using an Irish credit card? I understand once I have Gamepass I can use the Asian IP to get access to the stuff I can't access here but how do I get an account for there in the first place?

I originally got Sky for NFL and the Premier League. I might watch the odd rugby match or the Ryder cup or something but I wouldn't be too pushed about missing out on them if I didn't have Sky.

As I'm losing interest in football these days the main reason I'm keeping Sky is for NFL so Gamepass is very tempting to get and drop Sky. However the big thing stopping me is the playoffs. I know you can stream off dodgy sites etc but is there any legit way to get the playoff pass? I say legit but I would be using a VPN so not totally legit but you know what I mean.

How much is the postseason pass and can it be bought with an Irish credit card?

Or is there an easier way to watch the playoffs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    How do I sign up for it in Asia using an Irish credit card? I understand once I have Gamepass I can use the Asian IP to get access to the stuff I can't access here but how do I get an account for there in the first place?

I originally got Sky for NFL and the Premier League. I might watch the odd rugby match or the Ryder cup or something but I wouldn't be too pushed about missing out on them if I didn't have Sky.

As I'm losing interest in football these days the main reason I'm keeping Sky is for NFL so Gamepass is very tempting to get and drop Sky. However the big thing stopping me is the playoffs. I know you can stream off dodgy sites etc but is there any legit way to get the playoff pass? I say legit but I would be using a VPN so not totally legit but you know what I mean.

How much is the postseason pass and can it be bought with an Irish credit card?

Or is there an easier way to watch the playoffs?

The only playoff pass available on gamepass is the season plus one with access till July 2013. I'm sure they will be making playoff packages available closer to the playoffs though.

Getting gamepass through a VPN would not work with a credit card, you need to enter your real address there. Paypal might work though?

And I just checked, they do not accept Paypal..I assumed they did since NBA.tv and MLB.tv do. We can throw the VPN idea out now!

This was being discussed earlier and I was thinking it was probably like MLB's package in that only your IP address is used to see if you were in a restricted area, not where your account was registered.

The example I used was if I was in Spain on holidays with my laptop (or in my living room with my IP address switched to one in Madrid), would I be able to watch a blacked out game or Red Zone? I would like to think that I would but I'm going to send them an email to check.

If so, I'm half way there. All I need to get around then would be the playoff issue

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I got confirmation that these restrictions would be in place in the Republic of Ireland this coming season.:(

It'll be streams all the way for me this year.

This was being discussed earlier and I was thinking it was probably like MLB's package in that only your IP address is used to see if you were in a restricted area, not where your account was registered.

The example I used was if I was in Spain on holidays with my laptop (or in my living room with my IP address switched to one in Madrid), would I be able to watch a blacked out game or Red Zone? I would like to think that I would but I'm going to send them an email to check.

If so, I'm half way there. All I need to get around then would be the playoff issue

what playoff issue?

what playoff issue?

I would be getting Gamepass to replace Sky but Gamepass only goes to the end of the regular season so I'll be stuck with no where to watch the playoffs

I would be getting Gamepass to replace Sky but Gamepass only goes to the end of the regular season so I'll be stuck with no where to watch the playoffs

get season plus then, that has the playoffs (delayed in Ireland but the same principle applies to getting redzone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The only playoff pass available on gamepass is the season plus one with access till July 2013. I'm sure they will be making playoff packages available closer to the playoffs though.

Not sure this is the case this year. My understanding is playoff games will be blacked out.

From the feature-list here:
    "Live access to Postseason & Super Bowl is not available in the UK due to broadcast restrictions."

I like how they call the €160 package "Super Fans" (where you can't want playoff games, and marquee games every Sunday will be blacked out).

So season plus with a VPN would mean I can get the playoffs live then? Excellent, that could be the clincher for me. Bye bye Sky!

So season plus with a VPN would mean I can get the playoffs live then? Excellent, that could be the clincher for me. Bye bye Sky!

if its based on IP yes, I'd imagine whatever way blacked out games and redzone works the playoffs will work exactly the same way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

get season plus then, that has the playoffs (delayed in Ireland but the same principle applies to getting redzone)
    Don't give bad advice.

They are going to be blacked out as they will be on Sky so its no use to him for the playoffs.
    This is what it says on the NFL site
    Live playoff games are not available within NFL Game Pass for users located in Canada and the United Kingdom.

As we know now, the NFL have decided we are part of the uk.

Advertisement