Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

'Ive read many posters, reporters and analysts dismissing the Giants chances of a playoff run. One article I read gave them a (8-8).500 season. I know last season was a 9-7 but have they really regressed that they are viewed so lowly and why? How do Giants fan realistically view the season?

That D is looking real strong. I like Bradshaw for the short yardage and Nicks and Cruz will provide a threat. Not sure about a 3rd receiver for you guys but can Eli manage what Peyton done for years and make average receivers look better? Eli is without a doubt a clutch performer. I havn't looked at your schedule but will the W's be high enough team be close enough come November for the team to step-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

'Ive read many posters, reporters and analysts dismissing the Giants chances of a playoff run. One article I read gave them a (8-8).500 season. I know last season was a 9-7 but have they really regressed that they are viewed so lowly and why? How do Giants fan realistically view the season?

That D is looking real strong. I like Bradshaw for the short yardage and Nicks and Cruz will provide a threat. Not sure about a 3rd receiver for you guys but can Eli manage what Peyton done for years and make average receivers look better? Eli is without a doubt a clutch performer. I havn't looked at your schedule but will the W's be high enough team be close enough come November for the team to step-up.

D-line may be better than last year as Osi is focused and playing for a big contract (somewhere else) which is huge as it will allow Tuck to play a bit at DT. LB's could be better if Rivers can play up to potential. DB's were looking good but if TT out for a while its a big blow.

O-line is anyones guess. TE is up in the air, all really depends on Martellus Bennett's attitude, very deep at WR with Randle, Jernigan, Hixon and Barden all fighting for playing time. Bradshaw, Wilson, Ware, Scott fine at Rb and Hynosaurus will be even better at FB this year and could have nice roll in the passing game.

Start to season is straight forward enough after the Cowboys game and we will look to jump out to 5-1 start. Struggle down the stretch a bit i'd imagine. 10-6 is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Depth Chart released yesterday.

With Knicks out Cruz is first with Jerrel Jernigan second and Randle at third.

David Wilson is already second behind Bradshaw at RB.

The Bear is first at TE with Martellus Bennett behind him.

Prince leading RCB with TT injured.

Roll on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hey guys,

Don't think I've posted in here before but thought now might be a good time. Heading to Giants v Patriots game at the end of the month over here and absolutely cannot wait for it.

Been following the Giants ever since I wanted to piss of my Patriots supporting mates in 2007 by backing the Giants in that Superbowl. Was actually the 1st game of football I properly watched.

Watched there games sporadically for a while after that, until last season when I had a bit more time and I managed to get hooked on it. Was ecstatic when they went on to win the Superbowl again, so looking forward to the season starting up now.

Any of ye ever been to the MetLife/Meadowlands stadium before?

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Depth Chart released yesterday.

With Knicks out Cruz is first with Jerrel Jernigan second and Randle at third.

David Wilson is already second behind Bradshaw at RB.

The Bear is first at TE with Martellus Bennett behind him.

Prince leading RCB with TT injured.

Roll on Friday.

Its actually Hixon starting across from Cruz. Jernigan and Barden backing them up. You'd hope that Jernigan/Randle could unseat Hixon.

Cant wait for friday.

Knex. wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Don't think I've posted in here before but thought now might be a good time. Heading to Giants v Patriots game at the end of the month over here and absolutely cannot wait for it.

Been following the Giants ever since I wanted to piss of my Patriots supporting mates in 2007 by backing the Giants in that Superbowl. Was actually the 1st game of football I properly watched.

Watched there games sporadically for a while after that, until last season when I had a bit more time and I managed to get hooked on it. Was ecstatic when they went on to win the Superbowl again, so looking forward to the season starting up now.

Any of ye ever been to the MetLife/Meadowlands stadium before?

You lucky man! Never been but hope to one day.

3i0aZ.jpg

The most awkward looking athlete of all time? :P

Nicks has passed his medical and is off the PUP list.

tumblr_m8fxyiehr51r348hr.gif

DT Shaun Rogers done for the year with a blood clot in his leg.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=80032304

Think this is a bit of a blow. Chris Canty is still recovering from knee surgery we are down to Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard, Marvin Austin and Markus Kuhn at DT.

Considering Austin hasn't played a game of football in 2 years and Kuhn is an unknown rookie we are very thin at the position.

Could we look at bringing back Jimmy Kennedy or even someone like John Henderson to take up the slack that Rogers was surely expected to take up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Nicks has passed his medical and is off the PUP list.

Great news. I think that he will be doing well to be effective in week 1, but going forward, we are again strong at WR.
    Will be interested to see how Randle goes in preseason. Cruz stood out 2 years ago and then got injured. So last season was coming.

What does anyone expect from David Wilson this year? Rookies normally go well if given a chance. Bradshaw's foot should ensure him a good number of touches (10-15 per game).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-kenny-phillips-closer-action-article-1.1137329?localLinksEnabled=false

Kenny Phillips talking about his role last year and frustration at not being involved in run plays last year and being the deep safety. I think Phillips is a smashing player and this is the last year of his rookie contract. Hope we can tie him down early in the year. Has alot to do considering he has to play next to Antrelle Rolle.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Anyone got anywhere to watch tonights pre season game?

List of players who will not play v Jets tonight
    Terrell Thomas - CB - Knee
    Michael Coe - CB - hamstring
    Jacquain Williams - LB - hip
    Michael Boley - LB - hamstring
    Shaun Rogers - DT - Blood Clot
    Marvin Austin - DT - Back
    Chris Canty - DT - PUP
    Will Beatty - OT - Back

Hakeem Nicks - WR - Off PUP but not available
    Travis Beckum - TE - PUP

That's some list of talent not available. To my count that is 5 guys who would def be starting week 1 vs the cowboys and another 4 who would see plenty of playing time if they were available.

We need Thomas, Beatty, Nicks, Austin, Canty, Williams & Beckum back ASAP.

Adios DJ Ware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Adios DJ Ware.

That's a good sign that TC was confident to cut DJ Ware. I thought he was going to keep him for his blocking but I guess TC meant what he said.

That's a good sign that TC was confident to cut DJ Ware. I thought he was going to keep him for his blocking but I guess TC meant what he said.

I cant understand cutting Ware but keeping Andre Brown. Ware is a much better player. I thought Ware did ok in limited playing time last year.

All on Wilson to step up now. What are we going to do when Bradshaw has to start sitting out games injured during the season.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I cant understand cutting Ware but keeping Andre Brown. Ware is a much better player. I thought Ware did ok in limited playing time last year.

All on Wilson to step up now. What are we going to do when Bradshaw has to start sitting out games injured during the season.

I don't think Bradshaw is finishing this season as #1

I don't think Bradshaw is finishing this season as #1

Do you think will Wilson can be a 3 down back? Would be great if he became that guy. Be interesting comparing him and Doug Martin come the end of the year.

• Advertisement

giants_logo.jpg
    New York Giants

DE Matt Broha, OL Selvish Capers, TE Larry Donnell, WR David Douglas, OL Stephen Goodin, DE Craig Marshall, OL Matt McCants, DB Laron Scott.

Good to see McCants, Broha and Douglas in particular getting through waivers.

Delighted with Douglas. Cowboys were sniffing around for him. Expecting good things from him.

Do you think will Wilson can be a 3 down back? Would be great if he became that guy. Be interesting comparing him and Doug Martin come the end of the year.

I hope so. We need to improve our game on the ground and I think he can be our guy. We finished last in rushing yards per game (89.2) and last in yards per carry (3.4).

Well that didn't go well.

Secondary is a big issue now. Tyron is def not up to playing on any sort of regular basis. If Hosley and Amukamara are not going to be ready to go need to look at free agency.

Aside from 2 runs Bradshaw was well contained. Pity Wilson fumbled so early. Coughlin wont trust him if he fumbles.

Eli was ok. Cruz had some poor drops.

Nice break now until the Bucs game so no panic needed but def need to address the secondary

Secondary is a big issue now. Tyron is def not up to playing on any sort of regular basis. If Hosley and Amukamara are not going to be ready to go need to look at free agency.

Aside from 2 runs Bradshaw was well contained. Pity Wilson fumbled so early. Coughlin wont trust him if he fumbles.

Nice break now until the Bucs game so no panic needed but def need to address the secondary

How long have we been saying that. It's years since the secondary could stand up when we weren't getting pressure to camouflage them. Prince is essentially a rookie. He didn't impress in the playoffs and while Webster is a pro bowl corner, we still need to sort out the other side.

Yeah it was a weird game. Romo played well but only because we allowed them to move the ball too easily. We gave up easy yards. When Coe went off we were finished. I was disappointed with Osi and Tuck. JPP played well. Webster got burnt badly and didn't play well so it mounted on our troubles when they started targeting Tyron because Rolle tried to double team with Tyron and it just didn't work. Disappointed with Kiwi too.

I guess it's just a bad start for us. But our run game looks poor and we need Wilson to hold onto the football. TC won't trust him like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

i havent seen the game yet so cant comment to much but just like everyone else has said it was a very poor start. Losing to the cowgirls is never nice especially on opening night. Hopefully it was just a bit of opening night nerves but if im honest the pre season games left me feeling less than confident

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059099/article/giants-tom-coughlin-talks-david-wilsons-benching

Hope Coughlin gives Wilson plenty of chances against the Bucs now.

The decision to cut DJ Ware looks odd now seeing as though neither Scott or Brown will be considered to touch the ball if any problems with Bradshaw/Wilson.

America's game was shown last week. Watched it last night. Some good memories.

• Advertisement

Advertisement