Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Just had a mad moment and ordered a VF5 board, buyers regret ooh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ok, I got the new voltage converter for the cab and it works fine now :D

I had to pay a real premium for it by going to maplins and getting the best one they had(as that's all they had in stock) but at least I know the candy is ok and it was just a knackered voltage converter.

The one I got is this one:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/500w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-227637

It was pricey, a lot more expensive than even the website(even allowing for the currency conversion).

But at least it makes absolutely no sound at all thanks to the toroidal construction, no buzzing or humming which is really cool and it has a spare plug socket should I get a US or Jap Xbox 360 or anything else.

It's also 500W compared to the 300W one I got with the cab.

Here's a couple of quick pics of it next to the old one.
    Its a lot smaller and fits inside the candy in the corner really nicely.

photo2xy.jpg

photo1zm.jpg

This thing feels really solid and well built by the way, very industrial feeling to it.

And so it should I guess for the price I paid :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I guess when it comes to your candy you might as well buy the best of the best to keep it safe.

Serious looking piece of equipment anyway. Doesn't look to have too big a footprint either. The one I have for mine is absolutely massive. No way of keeping it in the cab at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is there much involved in converting these to 220v?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess when it comes to your candy you might as well buy the best of the best to keep it safe.

Too right. I don't know if I need one of these yokes do I? My cab's already been 240'ed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Good stuff Steve glad the cab is ok. It was even more expensive than the website? Yikes. I would've went for this if you needed double output and 500W but I guess you probably wanted it asap to test the cab rather than wait for delivery etc. Main thing is the cab is fine. :)

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I would've went for this if you needed double output and 500W

That be my one! Feckin thing is huge :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there much involved in converting these to 220v?

I had a bit of a look into it a while ago and it seemed like a real pain in the arse to do.
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Too right. I don't know if I need one of these yokes do I? My cab's already been 240'ed.

I reckon you're all set Pyongyang if its been converted for you.
    Good stuff Steve glad the cab is ok. It was even more expensive than the website? Yikes. I would've went for this if you needed double output and 500W but I guess you probably wanted it asap to test the cab rather than wait for delivery etc. Main thing is the cab is fine. :)

Yeah, I couldnt wait at all, need to know if something serious was wrong with the cab. The guy in maplins did say I could bring it back for a full refund within 30 days if I find a better one as long as I keep the box/receipt etc.

So I might order one from that airlink transformers place anyway and return this one, maybe.

By the way, I paid 177 euro for this, which is madness but I had to know if the cab was ok.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldnt wait at all, need to know if something serious was wrong with the cab. The guy in maplins did say I could bring it back for a full refund within 30 days if I find a better one as long as I keep the box/receipt etc.

So I might order one from that airlink transformers place anyway and return this one, maybe.

By the way, I paid 177 euro for this, which is madness but I had to know if the cab was ok.

€177 ouch. But I can understand the need to test it asap. If you did decide to return it and go for the airlink ones they're brilliant. I have the little brother of the one above, single output and 300W, still came to approx £104 all in (£50 + £37 del + £17 VAT). The 500W double is £10 more and 1kg heavier so guess it would be a bit more expensive. Cheaper than €177 though so you should make some money back. Excellent build quality, really quiet and proper 100V output.

Been testing out the Xbox 360 on the Egret 3 for the last while.
    The picture quality is really nice on it and much better than the last screen, not perfect but it just needs a few small adjustments.

For example, it needs a bit more red in the picture but I'll adjust that the next time I'm in there.
    For most people its probably fine but I do like the reds to pop a bit more on the screen.

Now, on a slightly different note.
    Does anyone have a Taito Type X2 system in their cab?
    Any good?

I know its just a modified PC and an ugly looking one at that but some of the games on it really have me interested.

You can emulate the system now of course but it still doesn't run as smooth as the real thing, even on my Skynet PC :)

• Advertisement

You can emulate the system now of course but it still doesn't run as smooth as the real thing, even on my Skynet PC :)

Something wrong there then, as the system runs under an embedded version of Windows. The system isn't actually emulated at all, its the drm/security dongle & loaders that were cracked. I've 'seen' some X2 games running on very mediocre pc's at full speed.

Something wrong there then, as the system runs under an embedded version of Windows. The system isn't actually emulated at all, its the drm/security dongle & loaders that were cracked. I've 'seen' some X2 games running on very mediocre pc's at full speed.

Must have another look at it so.

Maybe its the config files or it doesn't like my graphics cards.

Must have another look at it so.

Maybe its the config files or it doesn't like my graphics cards.

Well it aint down to specs thats for sure :p

Well it aint down to specs thats for sure :p

Probably not :D

Anyone know how to remove cables from AMP UP connectors?

Is there a knack to it or do I just pull the crap out of it.

Edit:
    Never mind, I got it.

How did you manage to get them out? Paperclip trick or some other method:

Any advice for removing a male pin from a female JST-YL connection where there is no wire attached to the pin? :eek: I was messing about with them seeing how they hook up and now can't get the fecking thing back out. :rolleyes:

1564.jpg

/Edit: I have to correct pin in there I'm just not sure if they're a pain to remove (wired or not) or maybe I have it in up-side-down if that's possible.

How did you manage to get them out? Paperclip trick or some other method:

Any advice for removing a male pin from a female JST-YL connection where there is no wire attached to the pin? :eek: I was messing about with them seeing how they hook up and now can't get the fecking thing back out. :rolleyes:

1564.jpg

/Edit: I have to correct pin in there I'm just not sure if they're a pain to remove (wired or not) or maybe I have it in up-side-down if that's possible.

I just used a pin instead of the paper clip like the guy does in the vid.

Took me a few goes but it worked.

Put in a rather chubby order for some new sticks and buttons for my cabinet earlier this week.

I've gone with Seimitsu buttons (I forget the model name right now but it's the ones favoured by shooting game fanatics). I've also got two LS-56-01's coming and two ball tops. All neon pink and green to match the cabinet.

To cap it off I've an Outrun 2 keyholder set (used on Outrun 2 cabinets) to put the cabinet keys on. Just because. :)

Stuck for marquee ideas though. I really like those neon Sega signs but have read they are tough to mount as they are not designed for cabinet use. Has anyone tried using these?

There's always FrancoB's repro marquee holders over on AO? £35+shipping for an NAC one. Looks like quality work, link.

There's always FrancoB's repro marquee holders over on AO? £35+shipping for an NAC one. Looks like quality work, link.

Aye, he and I have had a good chat. I love his work but I don't know what art I'd put in to it. The neon Sega sign looks super groovy though.

I wonder if anyone does repro Darius art? And I don't mean this bell end:

DariusPIC1.jpg

Do you mean this Sega neon sign? Not sure how you'd go about attaching that to a cab - you'd need to hack something together to stand the sign into.

segasign.jpg

• Advertisement

That's the one. A guy on AO created a mount for it and drilled in to the back of the NAC. I don't think I'm capable of doing that.

Three words: Homer's Spice Rack.

spicerack.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

The control panel artwork on my Mortal Kombat II cab is looking a little faded. Anyone know a good place that could print up a new one for me?

Thanks,

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Maybe this thread is a better place to ask :)

Anyone have tips on how to paint plastics on an arcade cab?
    Want to paint (spray) my cab maybe a matt black but it would need to have a good hard wearing finish. Thoughts?

Don't know much about printing panel artwork or plastics painting - maybe keithgeo and purplec know a bit about each?

Master of the Universe

Krylon paints would be worth looking in to. I know people paint high quality plastic airsoft guns with that and get a really nice finish.

Hey folks,

Can anyone recommend an online shop that sells a good quality Jamma extension cable? Maybe one you've bought yourself and can recommend? Thanks.

Hey folks,

Can anyone recommend an online shop that sells a good quality Jamma extension cable? Maybe one you've bought yourself and can recommend? Thanks.

I got one from that Neo Legend crowd in France.

It worked fine for the fingerboard on my hacked xbox 360 pads but doesn't seem to work with actual pcb's. The video is all garbled looking.

So I'd avoid getting one from them.

Cheers Steve I did look at that one alright, 30cm seemed a bit short aswell. Jammaboards have one here too, just wondering does it look like a decent job (or can you even tell from just looking).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Don't know much about printing panel artwork or plastics painting - maybe keithgeo and purplec know a bit about each?

No experience printing artwork or plastics, just mdf and its a pain, 3 coats or primer, sand in between, 2 coats of black sand in between all rolled on and i still had to sand it down again as the finish wasnt smooth. Getting a spray machine this weekend i think and im going to spray on the final coat of back. Rollers are useless if your a perfectionist.

I bought my artwork from gameongraphix, good finish on them, you can design your own and send it on. make sure its EXACTLY the way you want it first though even slight colour differences between marquee and control panel will show up, i made this mistake and my marquee is a slightly brighter blue than the control panel.

They should have a mortal kombat control panel on there too, they pretty much have everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Excellent they have exactly what I'm looking for!

Advertisement