Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

richie123 wrote: »
    A yoke I made up out of bits and pieces I had
    For pulling sheep and Barb wire.
    The name frame is an old shear grab
    Bought two Hydraulic rams to crimp wire.
    Huge labour saving for sheep and Barb wite

That's not guntering that's serious talent in thought, design and engineering. I'm sure alot of people on here would be interested in something like this. Great work man all it needs is a colour :)

Some seriously talented people in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

NcdJd wrote: »
    That's not guntering that's serious talent in thought, design and engineering. I'm sure alot of people on here would be interested in something like this. Great work man all it needs is a colour :)

Some seriously talented people in this thread.
    Cheers ncdjd ..I diddnt want to spray it up till I tried it out first.the h iron I used which is heavy grade needs reinforcing would u believe ...the bar holding the Barb wire needs reinforcing too
    H iron could have done with been a little lower too so as to pull sheep wire closer to ground but will work ok as is.
    As simple and all as it looks more thinking than engineering went into that project...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

NcdJd wrote: »
    That's not guntering

But it is labour saving ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Aravo

Cheers ncdjd ..I diddnt want to spray it up till I tried it out first.the h iron I used which is heavy grade needs reinforcing would u believe ...the bar holding the Barb wire needs reinforcing too
    H iron could have done with been a little lower too so as to pull sheep wire closer to ground but will work ok as is.
    As simple and all as it looks more thinking than engineering went into that project...

In all fairness that's an entry in the Tullamore show new inventions section.

Well done. It's very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Aravo wrote: »

Aaah but it's on the market already I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4Jq0nZYzs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Patent pending:

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Westmeath/Publications-Resources/New_Product_Development.pdf

https://ptefiling.patentsoffice.ie/sp-ui-pt-templatetool/wizard?execution=e2s1

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Solonet and quickfencer are two main players
    Nothing new bout it really..just saved myself 2000 euros I had most of the steel and brackets to suit loader

My Weighing Scales is almost complete https://farmer-eds-shed.com/portable-cattle-crush-weighing-scales/. None of the work here is mine after seeing riche123's work I've hired a professional :D

50360917227_1a9a2d40b9_c.jpg61VlwCpqjgL._SL1000_ by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Rotten old Nugent Portable crush is getting a new lease of life.
    50289109078_baa21012b9_c.jpgIMG_20200818_193809 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

New Floor Fabricated.
    50360983532_22a33af7d3_c.jpgcrush by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Some Channels Added to accommodate weigh beams
    50360798422_bb842e929d_z.jpgframe_06_delay-0.25s by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

50359937708_d9d67e3675_z.jpgframe_07_delay-0.25s by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

emaherx wrote: »
    But it is labour saving ;)

In my mind that would be good competition with the also seriously impressive metal work bench that was posted some months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bought this laser to check levels on the shed I'm working on. Works better than I thought. Measured a drop of only 1 inch over 45 feet (3bays). I'm adding a bay so want to match the fall.
    Only downside is, I can only see it in the dark.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/magnusson-im0301-self-levelling-laser/1119x

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Bought this laser to check levels on the shed I'm working on. Works better than I thought. Measured a drop of only 1 inch over 45 feet (3bays). I'm adding a bay so want to match the fall.

Some of the newer lasers have a green beam, better for daylight. I put up all shelving with a beam, the auld spirit level is only used for hanging gates these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I've seen a floor layer using a detector, but it costs near as much as the laser itself.
    Might be worth spending a tenner on this card detector?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huepar-TP01R-Magnetic-Applications-Enhancing-Visibility/dp/B075XC58M7/ref=asc_df_B075XC58M7/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226606326869&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4570681749134278769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20483&hvtargid=pla-422149285808&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

526770.jpg
    A yoke I made up out of bits and pieces I had
    For pulling sheep and Barb wire.
    The name frame is an old shear grab
    Bought two Hydraulic rams to crimp wire.
    Huge labour saving for sheep and Barb wite

That is Class!!

I suppose nobody has this welder? 0ver 30 years old. The setting label on the top is worn away.
    I decided to open it up as curious as to how it worked. Very simple. Just a transformer with cooling fan. Thought it might be oil cooled.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

I suppose nobody has this welder? 0ver 30 years old. The setting label on the top is worn away.
    I decided to open it up as curious as to how it worked. Very simple. Just a transformer with cooling fan. Thought it might be oil cooled.

Looks very similar to mine, but it's only about 20 years old.

Found what I wanted in the first pic. Just found it there with a search on the tablet. Search on the laptop shows nothing. Strange.

It's the approximate amps settings I want.

Ours is deffo over 30 years as I remember using it in the 80's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You've brought back memories. I bought one of these in the 80's. Served well until it burned out from welding railway irons sometime in the early 2000's. Still have it somewhere and can look and see if the calibration is still there if it's any help.

Avns1s wrote: »
    You've brought back memories. I bought one of these in the 80's. Served well until it burned out from welding railway irons sometime in the early 2000's. Still have it somewhere and can look and see if the calibration is still there if it's any help.

A pic would be great. Thanks. I should have taken one of mine before it wore away.

50386968657_7797708c6e_c.jpgIMG_20200926_172121 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

50386791676_826bf616bf_c.jpgIMG_20200926_171752 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Weighed a few cattle today. Scales worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭148multi

Dad bought one in the early 80s, lying around somewhere, writing would be gone.

• Advertisement

A pic would be great. Thanks. I should have taken one of mine before it wore away.

I think you might be sorted but if not, here's a pic of mine. A bit worn but you'll be able to piece it together.

I think you might be sorted but if not, here's a pic of mine. A bit worn but you'll be able to piece it together.

Great. Thanks for that. What kind of welder do you use now and how does it compare to that one?

Here's a pic of my settings. Looks like I was running it way too high. :D

Great. Thanks for that. What kind of welder do you use now and how does it compare to that one?

Here's a pic of my settings. Looks like I was running it way too high. :D

I'd say it was in "cutting" mode alright!:)

Just had a look there. The one I have now is an Electroweld Hobby 240. Something similar to the Cifes in every sense. I don't use it that much to be honest but I wouldn't be without it. If I had a € for every spot the welder has got me out of, I could retire. And that's before even getting into the planned projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

I'd say it was in "cutting" mode alright!:)

Just had a look there. The one I have now is an Electroweld Hobby 240. Something similar to the Cifes in every sense. I don't use it that much to be honest but I wouldn't be without it. If I had a € for every spot the welder has got me out of, I could retire. And that's before even getting into the planned projects.

I have the same one. great little yoke. I give it a blask of hte compressor every now and again to blow the dust of the insides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Front reg plate on my Defender was damaged and would be a fail in the upcoming test. The holder had been removed yrs back after it was cracked. I had bolted the reg plate direct to the bumper but the bumper isn't as high as the plate and as a result it had bits cracked off.
    Anyway today I got a bit of 12mm stokbord cut it about 30 mm bigger than the plate all round.
    Marked out the size of the plate and then got my router and cut out a recess about 5mm deep.
    A good amount of black mastic MS 11 squirted around the recess and the plate then pressed into it. Another bead around the plate to fill the recess and smooth it off. Ended up just using 5 tek screws to mount it as I'll probably be replacing the bumper in the near future due to rust. This will take some abuse and plate should be safe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Rewired the cattle trailer over the weekend. Used an IP65 grey junction box and wago connectors. All is done and is a good job although inside the junction box is not as neat as I'd like. Done the wrapper during the summer and it came out much better. It will do us our days but maybe I should have got one of the specific trailer wiring junction boxes.
    Solder jointed the mudguard lights and covered with heatshrink. But for some reason I decided to use bullet connectors at the back and insulate with tape to prevent exposure to water when washing (weather should not affect is greatly). In hindsight I might have been better solder jointing them and covering with heat shrink.

Rewired the cattle trailer over the weekend. Used an IP65 grey junction box and wago connectors. All is done and is a good job although inside the junction box is not as neat as I'd like. Done the wrapper during the summer and it came out much better. It will do us our days but maybe I should have got one of the specific trailer wiring junction boxes.
    Solder jointed the mudguard lights and covered with heatshrink. But for some reason I decided to use bullet connectors at the back and insulate with tape to prevent exposure to water when washing (weather should not affect is greatly). In hindsight I might have been better solder jointing them and covering with heat shrink.

Its good work, but insulating tape is not known for its water proofness, if you are going to use tape on joints consider self amalgamating tape as it really makes a water proof covering.

Just thinking - I realise now why it is not as neat.
    For the wrapper, the 7-core input and the two outputs were on the same alignment - input on left, both outputs on right. For the cattle trailer, input was at 12 o'clock, right outputs at 9 o'clock and left outputs at 3 o'clock (with 2 for each output (mudguard and rear cluster).

emaherx wrote: »
    Its good work, but insulating tape is not known for its water proofness, if you are going to use tape on joints consider self amalgamating tape as it really makes a water proof covering.

Forgot to say I put heat shrink over each individual connection - although they didn't fully seal as their contraction rate wasn't sufficient. Was a new purchase so I was using them everywhere :pac:
    Hence why I think that soldering would have been a better job.

If it fails so be it, I was sensible enough to loop about 6" of cabling underneath incase a repair was needed.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say I put heat shrink over each individual connection - although they didn't fully seal as their contraction rate wasn't sufficient. Was a new purchase so I was using them everywhere :pac:
    Hence why I think that soldering would have been a better job.

If it fails so be it, I was sensible enough to loop about 6" of cabling underneath incase a repair was needed.

Soldered connections may or may not have been better that very much depends on your ability to solder. Some people should not be allowed near a soldering iron unsupervised. (No idea about your abilitys though, just a general observation over the years)

Edit: I'm sure some could make the same comment about my welding skills :D.

Advertisement