Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ah ok. He's thriving tbh but she always rears our best calf & would pick him out from the rest. Bit annoying if they exclude him

It is because of the cow's weight that he is being excluded from the report. I rang ICBF last year enquiring about two cows excluded from the report, I was told it was on account of their weights, around 875 kgs. but they would be included for payment regardless. They aim for a target of calf 42% to cow weight, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi folks I'm sure this has been asked before, but who is the most suitable / cheapest lab to use for the dung samples. we are based in Clare. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I went with the lab in Roscommon. Think it was 21e to purchase and I post them back for 6:50e unregistered.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I went with the lab in Roscommon. Think it was 21e to purchase and I post them back for 6:50e unregistered.

Any questions asked about the contents at the Post Office. There is special labeling and packaging for BVD samples, is it the same for faecal samples?

I paid €22 to Irish Equine centre as we have used them in the past.

Sugarbowl wrote:

Thanks Sugarbowl, that's who I just ordered off there €21 seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

When do the dung samples have to be returned by, I weighed all the cows and calves the other day and forgot to do them. Had the kit there and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

October 31st.

Any questions asked about the contents at the Post Office. There is special labeling and packaging for BVD samples, is it the same for faecal samples?

I paid €22 to Irish Equine centre as we have used them in the past.

No problem posting them for me anyway.... off they went. Looking forward to seeing what I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

I paid 24e with this crowd. Took samples today and posting in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭jd06

No problem posting them for me anyway.... off they went. Looking forward to seeing what I get back.

I got results today
    Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative
    Roman fluke - negative
    That's it

• Advertisement

jd06 wrote:
    I got results today Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative Roman fluke - negative That's it

What lab did you us?

pure breed wrote: »
    What lab did you us?

Elphin was the address

jd06 wrote: »
    I got results today
    Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative
    Roman fluke - negative
    That's it

What do you use for liver fluke and rumen fluke and how often do you use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Has any one here have an audit of animals weighed?
    Is it just the weights that are checked. Or can other information be àsked for.I have been notified that I will have one next week

tanko wrote: »
    What do you use for liver fluke and rumen fluke and how often do you use them?

Just give the cows a shot of trodax in October every year and don't do anything for Rumen fluke
    Does this mean I dont have to do the this year?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

jd06 wrote: »
    Just give the cows a shot of trodax in October every year and don't do anything for Rumen fluke
    Does this mean I dont have to do the this year?!!!

Well if they don’t have it st this stage you should be safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’ve rumen fluke eggs present on mine, will use Zanil or levafas diamond on all the cows going to winterage

TL17 wrote: »
    Is it just the weights that are checked. Or can other information be àsked for.I have been notified that I will have one next week

Never came across an audit before. How long ago did you weigh them yourself? Did you weigh them accurately at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

TL17 wrote: »

A few years back ICBF identified some weanlings they wanted weighed. A fella called out and weighed the few and seperately we weighted some other older ones. The animals were housed so it was straight forward. This was before Beep and Beep-s.

You might need to have the following ready for an inspection.

Have your handwritten record from the day you did the weighing

Cow and calves have all their tags on

depending on whether you selected to do meal feeding or vaccines have records ready. (20% of applicants selected vaccines)

Meal dockets and evidence of meal feeding – keep a record and receipt of meal purchased, showing use by date, and amounts being fed.

Vaccines receipts and evidence of entry into the medicine herd register including date of vaccination and any booster.

Record of lung worm doses in the medicine herd register.

• Advertisement

My sample results are back already, got a low positive for rumen fluke and negative for liver fluke.

Have land that is susceptible to liver fluke and used to dose them every year for it so interesting to see that result.

Cows have not be dosed for anything in a good while so at least I’ve something to work off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭High bike

How long is it taking to get results,sent mine to the Irish Equine centre 3 weeks ago and no word yet

High bike wrote: »
    How long is it taking to get results,sent mine to the Irish Equine centre 3 weeks ago and no word yet

Got results from Oldcastle labs the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    Got results from Oldcastle labs the next day.
    That quick I better ring on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

Did many of ye buy a scales for weighing in BEEP or do ye just rent one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Sami23 wrote: »
    Did many of ye buy a scales for weighing in BEEP or do ye just rent one ?

At €50 you would be mad to buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Same here renting the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

At £350 it was hardly that crazy of an investment, handy thing to have around too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beam+scales&qid=1601191388&sr=8-3

50386968657_7797708c6e_c.jpgIMG_20200926_172121 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I already had the portable cattle crush, but many lads get platforms folded or just use a few scaffold planks bolted together.

I've calves to be weighed on 3 different blocks of land, so I'd find it very hard to get them all weighed on a single day or even a single weekend so it would cost me more than €50 to rent scales. If this scheme continues for a few years then the beam scale will be well worth it, but I had been considering getting a scale for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

I rang a lab a couple of weeks back and the guy advised me to leave it until the end of the year for the dung sampling, I rang again there now as I'm anxious just to get it done but they're so busy, not taking any further samples, anyone recommend a lab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

emaherx wrote: »
    At £350 it was hardly that crazy of an investment, handy thing to have around too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beam+scales&qid=1601191388&sr=8-3

50386968657_7797708c6e_c.jpgIMG_20200926_172121 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I already had the portable cattle crush, but many lads get platforms folded or just use a few scaffold planks bolted together.

I've calves to be weighed on 3 different blocks of land, so I'd find it very hard to get them all weighed on a single day or even a single weekend so it would cost me more than €50 to rent scales. If this scheme continues for a few years then the beam scale will be well worth it, but I had been considering getting a scale for a while anyway.
    Much easier to weight with a portable crush than the platform. Experience of both and would avoid the platform at any cost. Put one in with a tams job wouldn't have done it otherwise. Hassle of having to rent one collect, wash drop back. Then having to weight all on the one day, add up the 50s for renting over the years and the ability to weight other cattle when you want, with grant aid. Doesn't be long getting to the price of buying one. Weighted and dosed 130 cattle this summer in 3hrs solo. Proper handling facilities payoff.

Advertisement