Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardeners World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think there’s just something about Monty that stills and relaxes you. He just has such a chilled way about him, just the way he speaks is so calm, quiet and relaxed! Exactly what’s needed to come down from a busy/ stressful week!

I tried to watch that new Dermot Garvin show on RTE, Gardening Together, no harm to the man, his garden is fab, but god I couldn’t keep up with him, far too fast paced!

I think Frostie is the hair to the throne anyway .
    He's got the same tempo as Monty.
    Good to see some material this week as the last two weeks were mostly old clips.

All the episodes are here if anyone has missed them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GardenersWorld?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Favorite quote from last night

Gardens care for us as much as we care for them... “ it’s like being wrapped in a blanket of leaves”.

Love it, so true! ❤️

Some lovely combinations tonight in the Newt Garden.
    Pennisetum villosum with astrantia, I wonder if I have any more space left in my garden?

🤔
    526762.jpeg
    526767.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

I know this might not be a popular opinion but I'm not a fan of Monty at all. Much prefer Frosty presenting.

Beechgrove made by BBC Scotland is aired on a Sunday morning, IMHO a much better programme.

• Advertisement

We’re all entitled to our own opinions here :pac:

I think Adam and Monty are very similar in style?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

OldRio wrote: »
    I know this might not be a popular opinion but I'm not a fan of Monty at all. Much prefer Frosty presenting.

Beechgrove made by BBC Scotland is aired on a Sunday morning, IMHO a much better programme.

Hes an institution at this stage, but I like them both.

I’m blown away by Adam’s garden tonight, his grasses are stunning!

527460.jpeg
    527461.jpeg

I was never that bothered with grasses, I always thought them a bit boring but I think this season’s shows have opened my eyes more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I think Frostie is the hair to the throne anyway .
    He's got the same tempo as Monty.
    Good to see some material this week as the last two weeks were mostly old clips.

All the episodes are here if anyone has missed them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GardenersWorld?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

He's got a cracking dog also which is fine by me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Poor Nige, there’s definitely an air of emptiness still lingering since he’s gone. He’ll never be forgotten but that Patty has potential to be a rascal! Terriers and digging go hand in hand!

Geoff was before my time but I have heard so much about his influence! One Gardeners World book on my wishlist is the Gardeners World Veg Growers Almanac.

I loved Monty’s idea of the berry boarder tonight. But my god I thought my soil was bad, that’s some serious clay he has! I’ve often joked that if gardening doesn’t work out for me that I should go into the pottery business but I think he’d beat me to it :D

I also loved the mass effect of the alliums in the Jewel Garden!

Anyone know which episode was the berry border one?

Just checked back over my recordings, it was episode 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

OldRio wrote: »

I was afraid to say that. I actually stopped watching because I don't like Monty. Beechgrove is excellent and has much more practical advice.

Just watching last night’s episode, hands down my favorite thing is the home video about the hedgehog garden. Definitely worth a watch if you’re interested in attracting them to your garden!

If you build it they’ll come. Love hedgehogs, it was always a dream of mine to see one, now I have a garden full of them, all because of a simple log pile and allowing our grass verges to grow.

528234.jpeg
    One of my little ones this year!😍

Friday’s with Monty are getting short again, I’d imagine only 3 or 4 episodes left?

He mentioned last week that it’s time to plant bulbs except for tulips, which you should leave til later in Nov/Dec?�� Any ideas why the wait? I was planning on getting them planted this weekend when it’s dry if there’s no harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I am sure you are all great gardeners here. Unfortunately I'm not! We watch Monty though religiously every week but in recent weeks I've found him doing less and less and using viewers' videos more and more. I like Adam, Rachel de Thame, and Frances when she went to the allotment. Monty makes me jealous, he has all the right tools, the exact compost recipe for everything and fabulous facilities, greenhouses, potting shed etc., etc. I try to copy him without all these resources but never do very well. On the other hand, I just love Beechgrove every Sunday morning for its practical information, advice, and tips which are more helpful for me at my level. I miss Jim McColl, but Carole Baxter made me happy when she continued the tomato taste test she always did with Jim - very helpful to a mumpty like meself! Thanks to the posters who gave links for Beechgrove programmes as I missed the last one. There's more fun on Beechgrove. Gardeners World is very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I have to agree with Jellybaby_1. I've been watching Gardener's World for longer than I care to remember and it's not quite the same programme anymore, too many viewers video clips, and while one or two are interesting it appears to be more clips and large estate visits now than actual gardening like it was back in Geoff Hamilton's day. However, I do like Monty, Adam and Rachel and enjoy their contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

This a 100%

'interesting it appears to be more clips and large estate visits now than actual gardening like it was back in Geoff Hamilton's day.'

It definitely hasn’t been the same this year but that’s to be expected I suppose! Still I do rather GW than beechgrove, each to their own :pac:

Again Adam’s garden was stunning tonight. It’s been lovely to watch it evolve over the last 2 seasons. I hate to admit it, but I love it ......just as much...maybe slightly more than Monty’s at the moment.

I do hope Monty stays on next year, I just have this gut feeling that he won’t be at the helm next year. My heart will be broken. 😢

• Advertisement

Also slightly chuffed with myself. I did something I’d never normally do, went into a garden centre and picked up a collection of plants without researching them for a winter pot display. It reminds me of people who buy puppies without considering their adult size and needs beforehand 😂

Anyways low and behold Adam had the same fern/cyclamen arrangement. I also threw in a calocephalus brownii (cushion bush) and a Japanese spindle for good measure. I’m thinking Pomeranian size and I’ll probably end up with Irish Wolfhound size in my pot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Rarely go on Facebook but any time I’ve logged on of late, Monty keeps showing as a friend suggestion. Think he must be stalking me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I really enjoyed seeing that garden with that beautiful collection of Acers last night. What stunning Autumn colour!
    I also enjoyed watching Monty planting some Autumn fruiting raspberries. I have just picked a nice bowl of my own Autumn Bliss berries for the breakfast this morning and I can wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who would like to have raspberries lasting well into the middle of Autumn. In fact this year there has been a bumper crop of them here. I got a far better return out of them compared to my summer fruiting variety although I do think that a family of blackbirds here in the garden had something to do with those reduced returns also.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Friday’s with Monty are getting short again, I’d imagine only 3 or 4 episodes left?

He mentioned last week that it’s time to plant bulbs except for tulips, which you should leave til later in Nov/Dec?�� Any ideas why the wait? I was planning on getting them planted this weekend when it’s dry if there’s no harm?

Tulips are susceptible to fungal disease, e.g.. 'tulip fire', if planted when the weather is too mild, better to leave it later when it's colder. They are usually planted later than you would plant daffs.

Tulips are susceptible to fungal disease, e.g.. 'tulip fire', if planted when the weather is too mild, better to leave it later when it's colder. They are usually planted later than you would plant daffs.

Thanks Live at Three, Oh well :( can’t be helped now, hopefully they’ll be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thumbs up from me for Autumn Raspberries, especially good crop this year. Larger berries and much longer fruiting time and the birds dont seem to be aware of them! They started in July and will keep going til frosty weather. The dry sunny weather earlier this year made for a poor summer crop. I read somewhere not to cut the canes down til Spring, I usually cut once fruit is done as the summer ones being mindful to leave new branches of those for next year's fruit.
    The Autumn variety fruit on new growth of the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Monty said he'll see us again in springtime!

:^)-/-=

I was fully convinced that Monty was going to announce tonight that he wouldn’t be with us next year.

But he’s coming back in the spring!! 😭 😀

Tears of joy! Something to look forward to !

Such a brilliant programme. A must watch for me

On a completely different tack, Frances visited the magnificent Winkworth Arboretum (and gave a very informative explanation about autumn foliage) but could anyone help me identify the music that accompanied that part of the episode.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Just seen that there's 2 winter specials, looking back at the summer, on tonight and next Friday

Advertisement