Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

paddy19 wrote: »
    "I feel it's like a Mexican standoff that it's not readily available to see if the flights are going or not."

That's exactly where you are.

To make sure your guns are loaded, have a look at #711 post, it gives you the full story!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

Aer Lingus rescheduled our flights from Shannon to Dublin, sending a mail that didn't suggest what our alternative options would be if the rescheduling didn't suit. It say to contact them via an 1890 number if we had any issues with the rescheduling.
    The travel dates were the same but the times on the return flight and obv the Irish airport we would travel through not the same.
    So I said I'd chance ringing not expecting to get through, however was only on hold for around 5/7 mins. When I spoke to the agent I said that we were not happy with the rescheduling and asked what were our options were in that scenario.
    The agent then detailed out 2 options, option 1 was a free rescheduling to a date that suited, option 2 the vouchers with additional 10 percent, she also mumbled something that sounded like "or refund" to me. It was barely audible (maybe the phone connection was at fault) so I had to ask her to repeat herself twice, and had to clarify that there was the option of a refund now. She said yes so I said we would prefer that please as the rescheduled flights did not suit us.
    It was a strange phonecall to be honest, very little detail given when I asked what would happen next but was given a case number. I was told the refund would take minimum of 4 weeks (it's amazing how quick the credit card gets charged when you book flights!) but sounds like we're getting our money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

diego_b wrote: »
    The thing is how do I know if they do or don't fly? How late in the day can you apply for a voucher (can't find anything on the faq's on that) if you leave it till the day before hand. I feel it's like a mexican standoff that it's not readily available to see if the flights are going or not. If I look to book a flight from Shannon to NYC through June or start of July they all show sold out. Find it hard to believe that is the case.
    For sure if they cancel I can see getting the money back via the info on the fine link you have provided there (thanks).

I asked online the other day how long before the flight can you opt for a voucher (within the eligible period) and Aer Lingus said up to 3 hours before take off. Definitely a case of who blinks first at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

diego_b wrote: »
    The agent then detailed out 2 options, option 1 was a free rescheduling to a date that suited, option 2 the vouchers with additional 10 percent, she also mumbled something that sounded like "or refund" to me. It was barely audible (maybe the phone connection was at fault) so I had to ask her to repeat herself twice, and had to clarify that there was the option of a refund now. She said yes so I said we would prefer that please as the rescheduled flights did not suit us.

I always feel sorry for people in call centres who are measured on how many passengers they can mumble into accepting the companies preferred option.

The real problem is the very well paid senior executes who give the nod and wink to operators to mislead customers but don't get caught or the company will deny you actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I heard nothing from Aer Lingus following my original call, was concerned that they don't mail updates/case ids etc. So I made a followup call 3 days before we were due to travel as the updated booking was still showing on the aer lingus app on my phone. The agent said our refund had been processed and we'd get it in 3-5 working days. The booking disappeared from the app after that phone call. we got the money backin full to our account later on the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Has anyone else been waiting over 2 months for their voucher from Aer Lingus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

14 weeks and counting waiting for my refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

16 weeks + waiting on refund here.

Finally got a "sorry for the delay" holding email recently, otherwise complete radio silence since 17/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    16 weeks + waiting on refund here.

Finally got a "sorry for the delay" holding email recently, otherwise complete radio silence since 17/3.

I did a chargeback after 6 weeks. Had my refund about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I have two pending requests. One sent in on 31 March and the second on 7 May. Not a word from Aer Lingus since then. And of course you can waste a lot of time trying to contact them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I have two pending requests. One sent in on 31 March and the second on 7 May. Not a word from Aer Lingus since then. And of course you can waste a lot of time trying to contact them!

I got them on Twitter the other day, they said I'd have mine within the week. Their customer service has always been shocking, but the social media team are fantastic. Get onto them and they'll get back to you pretty quick (well its Friday evening, so it might be Monday before you hear)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Martin07

Hi, Our flight to Spain is next month ( large family holiday). For obvious reason ( vunerable persons, government advice) we have to change to next year. Question is what does the Aer Lingus statement below mean for us? Strong preference is to change to September 2021

This means you can change any flight departing before the end of 2021 without paying a change fee - just change your travel date before 31 December 2020.

Edit- Aer Lingus schedule only available currently for next 11 months, so it seems that we must change to a date within 11 months of original travel date. Would be happy to 'cancel' and change travel date before 31 December 2020 ( as timetable then extends up to Nov 2021) but this is not currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

After a five month wait I got just 50% of our costs refunded, exactly the amount of one fare and not the two bought together for the same flight. AerLingus are claiming the issue is with the bank :rolleyes: as they've refunded the full amount.

Pain in the hole dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Can anybody tell me what the time to get through T1 security at 8am is these days?
    Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

jucylucy wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what the time to get through T1 security at 8am is these days?
    Thanks....

The Dublin Airport app gives live security times. 8am Thursday (now) it's less than 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but is there any way of checking the capacity of an upcoming flight? Just trying to see how busy, if at all, it is. Have the fear of another flight being cancelled on us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but is there any way of checking the capacity of an upcoming flight? Just trying to see how busy, if at all, it is. Have the fear of another flight being cancelled on us!!

without knowing someone in the airline, your only way really is to go online and start making a booking and when you get to seat selection see how many seats are paid for. Works best with Ryanair, as people are more likely to purchase in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    without knowing someone in the airline, your only way really is to go online and start making a booking and when you get to seat selection see how many seats are paid for. Works best with Ryanair, as people are more likely to purchase in advance.

That's what I thought. Will give it a go and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have you heard about IDDEALS.com? It costs very little but shows you the inflight loads to a specific limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - not sure if this is the correct forum, but does anyone know if there are flights to Sicily operating from Dublin/Ireland for December please?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - not sure if this is the correct forum, but does anyone know if there are flights to Sicily operating from Dublin/Ireland for December please?

thanks

You'll need a crystal ball for that one I am afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The OH asked today about the various radar towers and I actually had no idea.

What does the radar at the Airfieid Maintenance base do?

Then the ones on the Naul Road. What do each of them control?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Apologies if wrong area, I've a flight to Paris this week (obviously not going and happily return flight changed so was able to apply for refund). The flight I'm booked on has flown every day, they have a second flight some days this coming weekend, you can still book on them so would that mean they will definitely fly? Was hoping if I take the risk and change to one it might get cancelled? Just trying to figure out how far/close out do AerLingus cancel flights if anyone has experience I would really appreciate it.
    ETA I checked Ideals as above and the flight i've moved too hasn't flown in 6 months, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Bit of rugby next weekend in Paris? Possibly the same flight as the team?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah maybe, these were our flights for the match in March that we moved for this one. If not cancelled or changed by Thursday I’ll just move it again. Would much rather a refund, at least we got that for return flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The team are not flying on a regular scheduled flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DevL

Does anyone have any insight into whether all London flights are going to be cancelled within the next 10 days? I need to get there next weekend but with the travel ban and likely lower demand after the last of the home-for-Christmas brigade return to London this weekend, I am concerned that flights may be axed by next weekend. Currently there are 4 Aer Lingus, 3 Ryanair and 2 BA flights being sold next Sunday for example, which seems a lot given the travel ban. Are they likely to cancel all of them or would at least one run?

Many thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

No restrictions in place on travel TO the UK. Getting home may be an issue though.

EI and FR are operating flights into UK airports from Rep of Ireland but those aircraft are then returning empty. Worst case would be that some of those flights are cancelled and you get rebooked to another.
    Aer Lingus aren’t taking bookings from the UK until Jan 7th. (According to their
    If website 3 days ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I booked a flight last September to The Canaries for March and decided that I certainly wasn't going. The flight is with Ryan Air and I had effectively given up the notion of getting any money back as the flight is still scheduled to go. Ten days ago Ryan Air wrote to me to say the flight time had changed and as such I was entitled to a credit note (valid for 12 months) or a refund. As the credit note is effectively useless because of its limited expiry date I opted for the refund. Having heard the stories of people waiting for months I expected the refund next December. Imagine my surprise when this refund hit my bank account 5 days later!. Hats off to Ryan Air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,I have flights to Spain booked with Ryanair leaving from Cork Airport in September.I have read that Ryanair will not be reopening their base in Cork until winter because of runway works in the airport,does this mean that all Ryanair flights will be cancelled or just early morning departures and late evening arrivals.
    My outgoing flight leaves midmorning and return is in the afternoon.
    If anyone has any information let me know.
    Of course I have emailed Ryanair, obviously have had no reply.

Advertisement