Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Video] Drinking culture in the GAA

Options
  • 15-09-2020 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

Gripping stories from an All-Ireland winner Noel Considine's lifelong battle with addiction, his inspiring road recovery, and tackling the rampant drinking culture within the GAA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I haven't watched this yet. Will do so at lunchtime. So apologies for jumping the gun a bit if I'm assuming incorrectly. But I think it's unfair for people to be exaggerating a drinking culture; in modern GAA anyway. Of course people will drink. Some will get dunk, some can handle it.
    But surely there is a worse drinking culture for most who are not involved in GAA.
    At least the boundaries that exist because of GAA (players cannot go mad on the booze, parents bringing kids to training on Saturdays and Sunday mornings somewhat tempers their night before session) kinda put some limitations on broad drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I watched it myself last night, and it's a cautionary tale all right. But I'm not convinced that such problems are caused by the GAA, or that they're any worse in GAA circles than in any other walk of life in Ireland.

Like the poster above, I'd say it's actually the opposite. Anybody playing at even a serious club level today is likely to be on a drinking ban for large parts of the year. I think gambling is a worse problem, because many young lads latch on to some sort of vice, and if they're not drinking, they can turn to that instead. I know of lads even in my own club who wouldn't have a pint for months on end, but who could go through a couple of hundred quid a week in playing poker and having bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Drink culture is such a broad subject and effects every sport among other stuff

What happens GAA players (also happens other walks of life) is the first time they go on the drink after the drink ban some get absolutely legless and in this age of social media it can be caught and posted pretty quick.

Drink can bring tragic cases and about 10/11 years ago a young life was lost after a GAA final. The player was from a Waterford club who have players heavily involved in the IC county scene today

Know your limits, try and plan your night out in regards what you drink and when you stop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The GAA have done a very good job of weaning themselves off drink advertising over the last few years.

Under no statutory obligation.

Drinks companies have not been sponsors of national competitions for a good few years now.

And even at local level advertising from drinks companies and bars is less than it once was.

Other sports, especially rugby are saturated with drinks advertising.
    The title sponsors of the two competitions the Irish professional teams play in are drinks companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I watched it myself last night, and it's a cautionary tale all right. But I'm not convinced that such problems are caused by the GAA, or that they're any worse in GAA circles than in any other walk of life in Ireland.

Like the poster above, I'd say it's actually the opposite. Anybody playing at even a serious club level today is likely to be on a drinking ban for large parts of the year. I think gambling is a worse problem, because many young lads latch on to some sort of vice, and if they're not drinking, they can turn to that instead. I know of lads even in my own club who wouldn't have a pint for months on end, but who could go through a couple of hundred quid a week in playing poker and having bets.

It's a cautionary tale for sure and I agree that it's not just a GAA problem. Given its standing in the community/Irish society, it is good that the GAA plays a role in highlighting/helping the issue.

As you mention, I think drink has fallen down the list. Gambling and (I would add) drugs would strike me as today's problems. Not to say that drinking still isn't a problem but the days of a intercounty/club player being dragged from the bar are almost completely gone, I imagine.

NC seems to think that it should be people like himself shaping policy. I would agree to an extent but he's only aware of his own issues and a single track approach like that could be just as "bad" as the "GAA pioneers in HQ" as he suggests. People like him should play a role in it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement