Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is this plant or pest?

• 23-07-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

new to planting, and starting off with some peppers.

this plant had a aphid problem and i have removed most of them but around what looks like the start of a flower there are some things which i could remove, if they are aphids, but maybe they are part of the plant thats supposed to be there.

I have ringed the things i am unsure about.
    520935.jpg

and heres the pic without the rings
    520934.jpg

So, if they are part of the plant, i'll leave them alone, but if they are aphid eggs, i'll pull them off with a pair of tweezers, so i can completely clear up the problem.

Thanks for any help, i'm sure this won't be my last newbie question.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aphids. you could also spray them with some water with washing up liquid in it, they don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

aphids. you could also spray them with some water with washing up liquid in it, they don't like that.

I'll do that. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Soap water makes them fall off but they climb back on the next day. Garlic water is more effective, or so I read today on a Glanbia site.

davedonie wrote: »
    Soap water makes them fall off but they climb back on the next day. Garlic water is more effective, or so I read today on a Glanbia site.

I took the plant out back and gave it a good spraying two days in a row now.
    I seem to have it under control now and will be alot more proactive in getting rid of them if they reappear. I left them be first time, and they multiplied like crazy until i had to do something.

I believe I have my aphid problem under control, but I found a new critter. its a larvae of some sort, i think it might be dining on other critters.

Anybody know what it is?

Hope these images capture enough detail to hopefully be abke to identify it.

526316.jpg

526317.jpg

526318.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Don't kill them.

They likely hoverfly or ladybug lava. They will eat your aphids!

Thanks clarabel.

The plant he was on was pretty clean, so I treated him by moving him to a much dirtier plant (more aphids).

I think he'll be happpier there.

See, much happier now..

lookit his likle smile :D

526386.jpg

They multiplied overnight, there is now two of them.

Advertisement