Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery tools

• 20-09-2020 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can anyone recommend where is cheapest place to purchase battery tools

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For the better brands, UK or German websites, depending on the tool and size of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dennisc3508

Lumen wrote: »
    For the better brands, UK or German websites, depending on the tool and size of order.

Hi looking for dewalt battery kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There is no 1 cheap site. Usually if I'm getting a tool I'll investigate 5/6 different sites each will have one tool at a better price than the others. So it depends on the particular item you want. Also allow for postage and exchange rate.
    As in 2 suppliers might be cheapest on 2 different tools but adding 2 separate postage prices might work out cheaper getting the 2 tools from the one supplier.

Hi looking for dewalt battery kit

I'd start here

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/brands/dewalt/dewalt-batteries-chargers

With small orders it may be cheaper to buy from Amazon or locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

When using Amazon don't forget to check prices on camelcamelcamel.com .You will notice that the prices change a good bit and it can be worth tracking a range of items you want and buying when the price drops.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dennisc3508

There is no 1 cheap site. Usually if I'm getting a tool I'll investigate 5/6 different sites each will have one tool at a better price than the others. So it depends on the particular item you want. Also allow for postage and exchange rate.
    As in 2 suppliers might be cheapest on 2 different tools but adding 2 separate postage prices might work out cheaper getting the 2 tools from the one supplier.
    Thanks for advice, I can’t believe how expensive dewalt battery tool kits are .

I keep an eye on the batteries on Amazon and pick up a set whenever the price drops a good bit. Its a long game though. Don't forget Amazon themselves won't send batteries or stuff with batteries to Ireland so you have to by from 3 party sellers and pay the postage but it can still be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget the UK has left the EU so buying big ticket items from the UK is a risk if you need to get warranty work done or need to use consumer laws.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget the UK has left the EU so buying big ticket items from the UK is a risk if you need to get warranty work done or need to use consumer laws.

DeWalt have their own 3 year warrantee provided you register your product on their site within a month I think it is of purchasing it. 6 warrantee months on batteries.

There are about 4 service agents in Ireland the only problem is if like me you are 50 miles away from the nearest one :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Makita or Milwaukie are better than dewalt
    i don't know what dewalt is like now but
    a makita would last 4 years on a job site and dewalt about 4 months but then makita quality went down a small bit but they have brought out new tools so hopefully quality has gone back up

when buying buy brushless tools
    also buy 18-20 volt

buy the battery with the tool as batteries on their own are expensive you will see ads with tool only don't buy as you will pay as much.for battery

• Advertisement

Depends which ones you are looking at. The brushless tool sets can be eye wateringly expensive, but for DIY use you really don't need brushless. By the time you wear out a drill without brushes DeWalt or whoever will have changed their batteries anyway.

I've the base model 18 V drill with brushes and its just about 3 years old. I have put in in excess of 5,000 4x 50mm screws with it and its still working fine. My old 18 V Ni-Cad battery DeWalt drill (with brushes) is still going strong and must have done a similar amount of work.

Now a builder I know has the cheapest 18V SDS drill that DeWalt have and after 18 months of industrial use he burnt the brushes out. So yes brushless tools have their place but for the DIYer they may not be worth the premium price.

Replacing brushes is a very simple job. They're a serviceable part.

Replacing brushes is a very simple job. They're a serviceable part.

But people don't think about the brushes till its too late :mad:

My son was a hire shop mechanic for a few years and he used to check the brushes on every electric tool after every hire. Bit excessive for a DIYer but worth making a note to take a look say once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

When buying batteries you might have to use address pal or parcel motel. The majority of the UK companies don't ship Lithium batteries to Irish addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

You should price Hilti then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

powertoolmate on ebay is cheapest on most battery tools, have bought from them before, amazon are good too, you will occasionally find it cheaper on amazon or other online stores but have a search in a few places to give yourself an idea of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Often buying a kit is a cheaper way to go. Screwfix Ireland for example have a Dewalt combi hammer drill with two 18v 5ah batteries and single charger for EUR179.95. Once you have a stock of batteries and chargers then you can buy tools bare bones and save. Woodies and B&Q from time to time will have kit and twinpack deals.

Advertisement