Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terrestrial receiver to suit someone in North, to get Irish and British channels.

Options
  • 17-09-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I know an elderly couple who have been having issues with a Manhatten freeview box recently, in that it keeps losing Irish channels.

I am assuming there has been frequency changes and since it's not Saorview approved I have to visit and do a retune to get the channels back.

Is there a box which will do it automatically, AND also get them the Freeview channels from the north?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ei9go

What about setting the TV to IRL in setup and just using the freeview box for UK channels

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ei9go wrote: »
    What about setting the TV to IRL in setup and just using the freeview box for UK channels

I might have to try that. It's a very old tv so not even sure if that would be an option.

I went and did a retune for them again and most of the Irish channels are not being found. Only getting rte1, rte1+1, rte2+1, virgin media 3 and rte junior. Rest nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help the only terrestrial channels I have at the moment is the BBC channels, RTE1 and +1 and VM3. Havent looked at RTE Jr but all the ITV, Ch4, Ch5 E4, Film 4 etc are all missing.

...and the Freeview channels appear to be all back again but the Saorview channels as mentioned above are still off air

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

muffler wrote: »
    ...and the Freeview channels appear to be all back again but the Saorview channels as mentioned above are still off air

They're almost certainly not 'off air'; just being interfered with due to atmospheric conditions bringing in distant signals that wouldn't usually cause trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭jj880

NIMAN wrote: »
    Only getting rte1, rte1+1, rte2+1, virgin media 3 and rte junior. Rest nowhere to be seen.

Just did a rescan here myself. Only getting the same channels + the saorview information channel. Nothing on the information channel or saorview.ie about channels being unavailable. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I might have to try that. It's a very old tv so not even sure if that would be an option.

I went and did a retune for them again and most of the Irish channels are not being found. Only getting rte1, rte1+1, rte2+1, virgin media 3 and rte junior. Rest nowhere to be seen.
    jj880 wrote: »
    Just did a rescan here myself. Only getting the same channels + the saorview information channel. Nothing on the information channel or saorview.ie about channels being unavailable. Strange.

You are both getting only one of the Multiplexes (Mux) from the transmitter . From this list try to identify which transmitter, and the frequencies / channel numbers.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

See what signal strength you are getting on Mux 2, which is the one that carries RTE1 and those other channels. There should be a Menu to tell you that.

You are missing Mux 1 which has RTE 2, TG4, Virgin 1 and 2 plus others. A better aerial installation will get all the channels.

You are both getting only one of the Multiplexes (Mux) from the transmitter . From this list try to identify which transmitter, and the frequencies / channel numbers.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

See what signal strength you are getting on Mux 2, which is the one that carries RTE1 and those other channels. There should be a Menu to tell you that.

You are missing Mux 1 which has RTE 2, TG4, Virgin 1 and 2 plus others. A better aerial installation will get all the channels.

Ok thanks for that.

However I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden mine and someone else's aerial are now defective when yesterday they were fine. Surely either something has changed on saorview's end or it's some kind of outage / issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks Muffler and co....interesting that a few of us are having the same issues.

I take it these issues aren't happening on Saorview approved boxes? Just UK freeview ones?

Ok thanks for that.

However I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden mine and someone else's aerial are now defective when yesterday they were fine. Surely either something has changed on saorview's end or it's some kind of outage / issue?

There are regular posts over the years where people lose one of the Mux's. Please look at the Menu to see what signal strength you are getting on Mux 2. It could be a weak signal but just strong enough to give a stable picture. A very small difference in signal on Mux 1 would result in no picture. Which transmitter are you receiving?

• Advertisement

I take it these issues aren't happening on Saorview approved boxes? Just UK freeview ones?
    No box involved. I have 2 aerials which connect directly to 2 different TVs and its been hit and miss all night with both.

Problems that just cropped up in the last day or two, I'd say are down to atmospheric conditions.

There's certainly no point rescanning for lost channels.

There are regular posts over the years where people lose one of the Mux's. Please look at the Menu to see what signal strength you are getting on Mux 2. It could be a weak signal but just strong enough to give a stable picture. A very small difference in signal on Mux 1 would result in no picture. Which transmitter are you receiving?

Ok I looked up my signal strength just now based on your PDF link and looks like I'm getting my signal from here:

HOLYWELL HILL Donegal Mux1: 22 Mux2: 25

Looks all good this morning so I re-scanned and all saorview channels are back.

Glad I posted in here though as I didnt know how to check my signal strength or that there were 2 signals that needed to be checked.

Problems that just cropped up in the last day or two, I'd say are down to atmospheric conditions.

There's certainly no point rescanning for lost channels.

I would never have thought of this.

Seems to be the most likely at the moment since all the channels are back today.

Ok I looked up my signal strength just now based on your PDF link and looks like I'm getting my signal from here:

HOLYWELL HILL Donegal Mux1: 22 Mux2: 25

Looks all good this morning so I re-scanned and all saorview channels are back.

Glad I posted in here though as I didnt know how to check my signal strength or that there were 2 signals that needed to be checked.

Looks like strong signals from an outdoor aerial. Can you get any Freeview? Limavady, high power and Strabane, low power have some footprint into parts of Donegal.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Limavady

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Strabane

Looks like strong signals from an outdoor aerial. Can you get any Freeview? Limavady, high power and Strabane, low power have some footprint into parts of Donegal.

Yes I have a double aerial on the roof. I get 122 tv stations in total including the HD channels from N. Ireland. All good quality. There also quite a few radio stations on top of that. The aerial cost 300 euro in 2008 which I thought was a bit steep but it has lasted well.

Im in pretty much the same situation. I get Freeview form Strabane and it has been mostly off air all yesterday evening and last night. Havent checked it today yet. The mast is probably about 10 - 12 miles from me.

I get the Saorview signal from the Ballybofey transmitter which is less than a mile. A lot of those channels wee off air also.

I have a LG540V telly but i have no idea how to test signal strength or quality.

Im in pretty much the same situation. I get Freeview form Strabane and it has been mostly off air all yesterday evening and last night. Havent checked it today yet. The mast is probably about 10 - 12 miles from me.

I get the Saorview signal from the Ballybofey transmitter which is less than a mile. A lot of those channels wee off air also.

I have a LG540V telly but i have no idea how to test signal strength or quality.

My tv is Panasonic. I went to:

Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Signal Information

'Off air' makes it look like the transmitters are down; they're not.

BBC reception checker for Strabane advises that weather could be affecting reception. Obviously this also applies to reception of other services in the area.

'Off air' makes it look like the transmitters are down; they're not.
    Yeah, its just my poor way of describing it. "Not receiving" or "unable to receive" signals would probably be more appropriate but "off air" is shorter and easier to type ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement