Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My PC has a virus

Options
  • 13-10-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, while browsing the local Councils website I clicked on a link and it installed a virus on my desktop PC. The virus is called becauseshineisbetter and even though I have scanned with Malwarebytes it's still there. Googling the removal of the virus seems to bring up loads of links to Spyhunter...just wondering if there's a connection.

Has anyone come across this before and is there any simple way to get rid of it or some free programme that would do the business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

muffler wrote: »
    Hey guys, while browsing the local Councils website I clicked on a link and it installed a virus on my desktop PC. The virus is called becauseshineisbetter and even though I have scanned with Malwarebytes it's still there. Googling the removal of the virus seems to bring up loads of links to Spyhunter...just wondering if there's a connection.

Has anyone come across this before and is there any simple way to get rid of it or some free programme that would do the business?

Try restarting in safemode and running malware bytes from there

Are you sure its the county council website that is the source
    Have you notified them?
    IF not, Can you DM me the web page and link, i will notify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

murphk wrote: »
    Try restarting in safemode and running malware bytes from there

Are you sure its the county council website that is the source
    Have you notified them?
    IF not, Can you DM me the web page and link, i will notify them.
    Thanks very much for that. Since my original post I ran MWB again last night and it did detect another virus. It had previously detected quite a few things and I quarantined them but whether the one it found last night was the culprit I dint know. No pop ups appearing today and I took your advice and started the PC in safe mode and ran MWB again but thankfully it came back clean so the panic seems to be over.

I was in touch with the local Council and they have said "no viruses on our site, you must have ads popping up as a result of a virus on your own computer". The guy picked up a typo (I typed ad instead of and) and read the whole thing wrong. Safe in the knowledge that the virus is now gone I went back to their website and clicked the same link but it simply redirected me to the Ordnance Survey website which it is supposed to do.

When I was on their website the other evening and clicked on the link to the OSI website a little message popped up inviting me to click on it (think its called a Captcha) to prove I wasnt a robot or something like that. Thinking it was a security feature I did click on it. I actually clicked on that planning map link 3 times just to be sure and got the same pop up message each time. After that I wasn't redirected to the OSI website but to a chrome search engine page and then started to get pop up messages such as Norton is out of date even though I never had Norton installed at any stage

Anyhow it seems to have sorted itself now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The OSI website appears to have been hacked a few days ago, see first post in this thread ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058022454

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Alun wrote: »
    The OSI website appears to have been hacked a few days ago, see first post in this thread ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058022454
    Ah! That would explain my issues so.

Thanks for posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm trying to think of ways to avoid this happening in future but I'm drawing a bit of a blank. I'm assuming that this was a windows machine which has a decent built-in antivirus. You probably have an adblocker there too. A hijacked website can do a lot of damage.

I'm curious if anyone here has any suggestions on reducing this risk when using Windows. For example, are there browser settings or plugins that could help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement