Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I stop my son from getting fat?

• 13-07-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Myself and my wife are very worried. Our son is 6 and he's going through this whole "best friend" phase with an obese boy. His parents are also grossly obese. We're terrified that our son will begin to see this as acceptable. Should we prohibit him from hanging around with the obese boy or have a frank chat about obesity with him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah, have a chat. Since when did banning or stopping a child do anything ever actually lead to a positive outcome. DON'T PUSH THE RED BUTTON! Of course a 6 year old will push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I had a friend who was an absolute tank at that age, never stopped stuffing his gob.

I didnt get huge simply because i didnt have the appetite. Not a hope in hell i could have kept up with him.

Dont worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

14dMoney wrote:
    Myself and my wife are very worried. Our son is 6 and he's going through this whole "best friend" phase with an obese boy. His parents are also grossly obese. We're terrified that our son will begin to see this as acceptable. Should we prohibit him from hanging around with the obese boy or have a frank chat about obesity with him?

You really have a problem with overweight people, what is this your 4 th thread on the topic?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

14dMoney wrote: »

You should get him out of bed at 5am every day and make him run laps. That'll learn him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

According to my gp, so many ppl in Ireland has undiagnosed thyroid issues,
    as long as you teach your son how to eat a balanced diet/exercise and there are no medical factors, there should not be a problem.

However, teaching him to accept other ppl as opposed to dismissing them with a label, is probably the most nb thing for you all to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

You really have a problem with overweight people, what is this your 4 th thread on the topic?

I don't have a problem with overweight people, I just don't want my son to end up like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Start fat shaming your son now then before it's too late.

Start fat shaming your son now then before it's too late.

There's no such thing as fat shaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't have a problem with overweight people, I just don't want my son to end up like them.

If your son grows up with a weight problem that's your parenting to blame, not some random kid. Take responsibility for your own child's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is your fifth thread regarding fat people!
    You have a problem with fat people.

• Advertisement

14dMoney wrote:

Your posting history contradicts your claim.

There's no such thing as fat shaming.

Get real. You're an unapologetic advocate of fat shaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I'd be worried you know fat people in the first case. Stay a country mile from those lot I'd be scarlet seen with any.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Fatness isn't contagious ffs! Unless the friend is force feeding him chipper food your son isn't going to get fat.

I really do think you're taking the piss, but in case you're not, there's my reply.

Now go beat yourself with a stick or something.

Get real. You're an unapologetic advocate of fat shaming.

I'm an unapologetic advocate of health. I don't feel comfortable with my son being around a child who is overweight, just like I wouldn't be comfortable with my son being around an unvaccinated child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm an unapologetic advocate of health. I don't feel comfortable with my son being around a child who is overweight, just like I wouldn't be comfortable with my son being around an unvaccinated child.

So don't let them play together. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You're attitude to others will be far more damaging to your sons development than any influence his friends have in his development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Does your son have special needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Definitely a wind up. Imagine this is how you spend your Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Health is not your issue here. Control freakery is.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Definitely a wind up. Imagine this is how you spend your Sunday afternoon.

It's Saturday.

14dMoney wrote:
    It's Saturday.

True, you should go outside and play with your friends. The holidays are very short .

Calina wrote: »
    Health is not your issue here. Control freakery is.

How is it control-freakery? You'd let your child be in the company of fat or unvaccinated children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Go all Homer Simpson on him ...
    “That kid has busoms! Quick, who's got a wet towel?"

homer_jagt_uter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

List of things you're kid could catch from their peers OP
      Fattyness Cussin Gayness Muslimness Jooness Skinnyness Drinking Scouser Smoking Drugs

The only thing i'd have concerns is the Liverpool thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Banning your kid from hanging around with a fat kid? Because he could catch fat off him?

What the hell is wrong with you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Hilarious thread.. Has to be a wind up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have been reading threads from stupid people. Will I catch it?

Ann22 wrote:
    Hilarious thread.. Has to be a wind up.

Ah you missed his food stamps thread that was equally stupid till the mods closed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

14dMoney wrote:
    just like I wouldn't be comfortable with my son being around an unvaccinated child.

Why? Surely if your son has had all the recommended vaccinations he won't catch anything from his little possibly riddled pals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement