Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ED E wrote: »
    So much nope.

Why. I can't see how leaning forward in your chair to have forearms on desk is going to be more comfortable. Say goodbye to back support.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why. I can't see how leaning forward in your chair to have forearms on desk is going to be more comfortable. Say goodbye to back support.

You have it backwards. Lean back into the chair, under the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You were right my keyboard was too close to the edge. Turns out I had pulled it in close to get my short wired earphones closer to me while I was using a gamepad once (yes I plug my earphones into the keyboard) and forgot to push it back.

Now my desk is leaving marks on my forearm though. I could just wear something that covers my forearms but it's so hot these nights so I'm mostly in t-shirts. I think a wrist rest would still make things more comfortable so I'm open to suggestions if anyone uses them here.
    Homelander wrote: »
    I play at low sensitivity/low dpi so I tend to make huge arm movements.
    I'm the same in this regard although I haven't played anything that requires accurate or fast mouse movement in quite some time so I think I let the discipline go. I also get super triggered seeing people playing at 5 trillion DPI with mouse movement that doesn't go larger than the size of a fried egg. But whatever's comfortable for them I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Now my desk is leaving marks on my forearm though. I could just wear something that covers my forearms but it's so hot these nights so I'm mostly in t-shirts. I think a wrist rest would still make things more comfortable so I'm open to suggestions if anyone uses them here.

I find this to be really good, esp. for my mechanical keyboard. I got mine from UK but doesn't seem to be available so US is only option I could find at the min.

41hR9Ng735L._AC_.jpg

You have it backwards. Lean back into the chair, under the desk.

God no, that's a completely unnatural position for me. Arms extended fully like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I find this to be really good, esp. for my mechanical keyboard. I got mine from UK but doesn't seem to be available so US is only option I could find at the min.

41hR9Ng735L._AC_.jpg

I have the same one amazing best wrist rest ever I dunno what corsair were thinking of when they designed that pitiful thing they called a rest either,

I had a Razer death stalker keyboard and that was the best ever. for a wrist rest. :cool:

I find this to be really good

Thanks for the recommendation I decided to get it from the UK site because I had some gift credit there. :) Ebay was a few euros cheaper but longer wait and no credit there :pac: I'll let y's know how I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My new keyboards arrived.

PIszEoE.jpg

Funny story: the Smart2 68 (purple/white) got lost in the post - it was due a month ago.
    I bought the HyperX Alloy Origins Core on sale from Amazon on Friday, and they both arrived at the same time today.

Might send the HyperX back, or keep both.

OSI wrote: »
    "And that my friends is how I started on the journey to my herniated disk....."

Have faith in the Aeron and it will have your back :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My new keyboards arrived.

Kiki this week:
    y2wd9rK.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have faith in the Aeron and it will have your back :pac:

That recommendation is assuming your chair is perfectly positioned and provides good lumbar support.

Sit on a stool for a few weeks, then move to the chair.

That recommendation is assuming your chair is perfectly positioned and provides good lumbar support.

Sit on a stool for a few weeks, then move to the chair.

Had a stool for about 9mo before buying the chair in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,815 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looking forward to see the reviews of this beast

LG's new 48-inch 4K 120Hz

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72941/lgs-new-48-inch-4k-120hz-oled-tv-debuts-for-1500-this-month/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm personally hoping for something along the lines of the "Burning Core" monitor. 22", 1080p, 240Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Headshot wrote: »

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72941/lgs-new-48-inch-4k-120hz-oled-tv-debuts-for-1500-this-month/index.html

That does look interesting but far too big to be a monitor alone. I currently use a 24" 1080P monitor for general browsing and stuff but use a 49" 4k 60Hz HDR Tv to game on and it's pretty big, far too big to slap on a desk and use it as your primary screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think 32" (16:9) is the biggest I'd go for a desktop monitor (or ultrawide maybe), and even then only if I had a deep enough desk.

Yeah I couldn't imagine buying a TV that big or expensive for PC usage. That only makes sense for movies/shows with friends and family. If for some reason I needed a very large display for computer usage I'd probably be investing in a projector at that point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dggdse6acrq01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

My monitor is the living room tv, so the 48" CX is looking set to be my next tv (may have to wait until next year though). Amazing piece of kit.

Inviere wrote: »
    My monitor is the living room tv, so the 48" CX is looking set to be my next tv (may have to wait until next year though). Amazing piece of kit.

Ya it does looks sweet but to get the best out of it your need HDMI 2.1 and 2080TIs don't even have that

We'll have to wait for the next Gen of GPU's to get the best out of the tv

It's a pity they didnt include a Display Port

• Advertisement

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73040/mindfactory-data-amd-is-outselling-and-smashing-intel-87-to-just-13/index.html

Mindfactory data: AMD is outselling and smashing Intel 87% to just 13%
    AMD is utterly destroying Intel with Mindfactory's new numbers: 87% to just 13%

Started overclocking my 3600 a bit. Currently at a 4.3Ghz all core overclock at 1.35v maxing around 70c in games.

I've heard even with the higher clock on these chips though performance might be lower.

I need a quick free cpu benchmark with a score so I can test at 4.2 - 4.4Ghz to see if it actually improves the score or makes it worse.

Cinebench is the way to go?

Just did a couple of tests.

4.2Ghz score 3742.

4.3Ghz score 3874.

4.4Ghz booted but failed at benchmark launch at 1.35v, upped voltage to 1.375, again failed at start of benchmark run. Not willing to up voltage more for a 100mhz gain.

No golden sample for me. 4.3Ghz all core at a 1.35v and seems stable though so not too bad. Might try dialing back the voltage now to see if it stays stable.

Runs about 70c max with an Arctic duo cooler ramping up to only 1300RPM. Runs around 600RPM on the desktop.

Cinebench both R15 and 20 and I also like Timespy as the last test does the CPU. A lot longer to do than a Cinebench run as you have to go through two graphics tests before the CPU part.

Another thing about Cinebench the R15 run can complete on an overclock while the same overclock used on a R20 run crashed on me. I think that is due to R20 using the AVX instruction set.

Cinebench both R15 and 20 and I also like Timespy as the last test does the CPU. A lot longer to do than a Cinebench run as you have to go through two graphics tests before the CPU part.

Another thing about Cinebench the R15 run can complete on an overclock while the same overclock used on a R20 run crashed on me. I think that is due to R20 using the AVX instruction set.

Exactly why I didn't want to run timespy. Cinebench is great though.

It was R20 that I ran.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Exactly why I didn't want to run timespy. Cinebench is great though.

It was R20 that I ran.

The 4.4 will probably run on R15. It may crash also but if you try enough times it will complete.

About to go down the keyboard rabbit hole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Realistically though is there any point? The difference is so utterly minuscule and you're worrying about potential instability under certain conditions.

We all remember the champion days where you'd get a 20-50% overclock on certain CPUs, but Ryzen really doesn't offer any compelling reason to overclock at all.

Obviously I know there's an enthusiast/interest aspect to it, but personally I just don't see the point, at best you're talking a percent or two improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Homelander wrote: »
    We all remember the champion days where you'd get a 20-50% overclock on certain CPUs, but Ryzen really doesn't offer any compelling reason to overclock at all.

AMD or Intel, neither of them really do unless you want benchmark scores or you bought a low end AMD processor. They have gone the same way as graphics cards, they overclock themselves close to the limit already.

Advertisement