Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Anyone having an issue with the function keys? I can't turn down the volume using fn + f2 for example

(I can't use any of them)

But it does work ok with the light for the keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You don’t need FN to turn down the volume or brightness or whatever , just press the button I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Yeah, by default, you don't press Fn to use those top row of keys. If you press Fn + key , it actually sends the F1, F2, F3 etc

I didn't like it that way so there's an option in the BIOS to reverse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

hazbot wrote: »
    Yeah, by default, you don't press Fn to use those top row of keys. If you press Fn + key , it actually sends the F1, F2, F3 etc

My originally metal palmrest, now plastic palmrest shipped today. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, probably being silly here but I've gotten as far as step 18 on the pdf and there's no "continue" option for me.

Am I stuck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lads, probably being silly here but I've gotten as far as step 18 on the pdf and there's no "continue" option for me.

Am I stuck?

You're goosed, may sell the laptop...........

Just restart it, at this stage I think you only have the bios updated to run from USB and the drive reformatted.

BLUEYK wrote: »
    You're goosed, may sell the laptop...........

Just restart it, at this stage I think you only have the bios updated to run from USB and the drive reformatted.

Cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Strange mine is opposite. Press F1 it operates as F1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭lau1247

ImARebel wrote: »
    Strange mine is opposite. Press F1 it operates as F1

If it is anything like Dell (Presumably there is an equivalent for Lenovo), Fn+Esc will toggle lock and unlock Fn button.

Some examples here:

https://superuser.com/questions/616156/how-to-keep-the-function-key-locked-on-lenovo-e431

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Esc-lock-icon/td-p/5073324

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Missed this one, keep checking thread / site to see if they're back in stock even though I know they won't be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ They will be back in stock I guess once they ship out the pending orders. Its the discounts + DOS option which made the deal sweeter.

If you see German site, same model with intel chip available while with AMD its coming soon.

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

lau1247 wrote: »
    If it is anything like Dell (Presumably there is an equivalent for Lenovo), Fn+Esc will toggle lock and unlock Fn button.

That's true, forgot to mention you could toggle. Fn + Esc does the same on these (it's marked on the Esc key as FnLock and even has a little indicator light :) )

The BIOS setting allows you to choose which mode will be default on powerup.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Tricky choice for me. Received mine on Fri but trackpad sticking. Clearly would prefer a replacement because I’ll never get as good a spec with a refund. But they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Hope they come back online soon,

Received mine last night and set it up.

Just wanna say massive thanks to the OP and special thanks to the poster who put together the pdf! You're both owed beers from me

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Just finished setting my laptop up. Lovely piece of kit.

Thanks to the OP and to the poster of the PDF

Now has anyone found some sweet protective cases/sleeves for this beauty of a laptop.

not a sleeve but i was just looking at a bag, tbh, on offer today in one colour from lenovo and not a bad price for the other colours either

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/accessories-and-monitors/cases-and-bags/briefcases-toploads/CASE-BO-15-6-Toploader-T210-Black-ROW/p/GX40Q17229

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

fisab wrote: »
    Tricky choice for me. Received mine on Fri but trackpad sticking. Clearly would prefer a replacement because I’ll never get as good a spec with a refund. But they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Hope they come back online soon,

I heard someone in a review (of possibly the 3500 ryzen version) mention that installing microsoft precision trackpad driver helped with the trackpad, could be worth a try. I think the guy just hated how the trackpad operated. This may already be installed

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I heard someone in a review (of possibly the 3500 ryzen version) mention that installing microsoft precision trackpad driver helped with the trackpad, could be worth a try. I think the guy just hated how the trackpad operated. This may already be installed

I got a mandatory Windows update today on shutdown

Next time I booted, could log in and then windows flashed on off repeatedly, couldn't do anything.

After much messing was able to roll back the 'quality updates

Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

not a sleeve but i was just looking at a bag, tbh, on offer today in one colour from lenovo and not a bad price for the other colours either

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/accessories-and-monitors/cases-and-bags/briefcases-toploads/CASE-BO-15-6-Toploader-T210-Black-ROW/p/GX40Q17229

Black one seems to be out of stock already :(

Edit: Nice grey ones still in stock! :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Black one seems to be out of stock already :(

Edit: Nice grey ones still in stock! :)

I got the grey one. Not bad for €15. That included postage.

• Advertisement

yeah i picked up the grey one at that price, needed something that could hold the tablet and a few bits as well so this looks perfect

preferred the sandy coloured one tbh but not at twice the price!

Can somebody help me - please.

I’m having an issue with the adaptive brightness on my laptop. I cannot find how to disable it. It keeps dimming and getting brighter in different scenarios.

I’ve searched on the Lenovo website, I’ve checked the Microsoft website. I’ve googled and googled and no answer. I’ve double checked all the drivers.

I have no option available to me in the Display settings or even the Power settings (which one website suggests) to disable it.

The picture will show that I possibly should have an option to switch it off but on my laptop/windows 10 pro - I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Can somebody help me - please.

I’m having an issue with the adaptive brightness on my laptop. I cannot find how to disable it. It keeps dimming and getting brighter in different scenarios.

I’ve searched on the Lenovo website, I’ve checked the Microsoft website. I’ve googled and googled and no answer. I’ve double checked all the drivers.

I have no option available to me in the Display settings or even the Power settings (which one website suggests) to disable it.

The picture will show that I possibly should have an option to switch it off but on my laptop/windows 10 pro - I don’t.

Could it be the battery saver mode kicking in? Once you go below a certain percent it will disable screen brightness, then once you go back above that same percent it will re-enable.

Doff wrote: »
    Could it be the battery saver mode kicking in? Once you go below a certain percent it will disable screen brightness, then once you go back above that same percent it will re-enable.

Battery was fully charged. It happens on battery or on mains power.

I really an stumped on this issue!!

Did the laptop specs say it has automatic brightness? I don't remember.

But as far as I can tell, my laptop doesn't have any brightness sensor built in, so it can't do the auto brightness.

Did the laptop specs say it has automatic brightness? I don't remember.

But as far as I can tell, my laptop doesn't have any brightness sensor built in, so it can't do the auto brightness.

The issue is still happening and I’ve rang Lenovo Support (they are getting a second technician to call me)

And now there may be a dead pixel issue (I’m running a possible fix but it’s not looking good).

Just my luck :-(

The issue is still happening and I’ve rang Lenovo Support (they are getting a second technician to call me)

And now there may be a dead pixel issue (I’m running a possible fix but it’s not looking good).

Just my luck :-(

Ah thats not good. Depending on the location, dead pixel can be a pain. I guess they can change the display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm guessing this isn't available any more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement