Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to ski Boot Fitting

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shouchin

Mafra wrote: »
    I don’t think there are many better alternatives in Ireland. I had boots and moulded insoles fitted there 3 years ago and it’s the best thing I’ve done. Boots are perfect fit for me and all day comfort.
    They give a guarantee that they’ll tweak them if not correct etc. Trouble is in Ireland that you’ve got to go on holiday to try them so it’s potentially a week of ill fitting boots until you can tweak them again. I suppose if you buy them at a resort you can try them for a few hours and have them altered on the spot if you have a problem.
    Snow and rock worked out really well for me and I love my boots. (use a powerstrap them now too).
    The cant on one of mine could probably do with some fine tuning but haven’t gotten round to that yet.
    I bought my skis on resort last year though which I would recommend as I tested about 5 pairs over 3/4 days. Good luck with your boots!

I was in same situation last year. FWIW, I ended up doing a day trip over to Glasgow to Snowfactor at Braehead (10-15 mins from airport). I booked into Ellis Brigham for a boot fitting first thing. Very knowledgeable boot fitters and equipment - tried 3-4 options, custom shell fitting and out the door. Let the boots cool over lunch and over to the indoor ski slope (real snow) and skied for 4 hours. I was able to do a minor boot adjustment to address toe numbness on the way out before heading back to the airport for a late flight home. It was a long day but my boots were perfect for our ski week the Italian Alps later that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

Quick question lest someone knows the answer.

I am hiring for a ski holiday this year (Portes du Soleil) as are my family. From bitter experience for one family member years ago we do place a big premium on comfortable shoes. Obviously when hiring all you are offered is beginner / intermediate / advanced with the price going up as the standard goes up. But does that mean the beginner boots are basic, the intermediates better and the advanced best? I appreciate the type of skis you give to each standard must vary but can you get, say, beginner skis on advanced boots or does it work like that? Happy to pay extra for comfortable boots basically without then getting the wrong skis....

A beginner boot is softer flex with an advanced boot harder to flex.
    A beginner could have the same flex as someone more advanced if they're a good bit heavier though.
    A very flexible boot won't be as reactive as you want if you're a better skier, a boot can also be too stiff for you, if you can't flex it properly you won't have the control you want.

In reality though, i've seen them hand out some old battered boots as beginner boots. I'd go for the intermediates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Looking at replacing my 16 year old Tecnica 7 Senses boots that I bought in Soll when I started skiing first. I think they were pretty basic boots at the time and I have used them every year since. The liner is very badly worn around the ankles so I think it's time for a new pair.
    I called into Snow + Rock recently and tried a few pairs. The Atomic Hawx Magna 110s fitted really well and felt way better than my old boots.
    I'm going to book a fitting very soon. Is there any particular fitter I should ask for in S+R?
    Has anyone else upgraded their ski boots and found a good improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Donie75 wrote: »
    Looking at replacing my 16 year old Tecnica 7 Senses boots that I bought in Soll when I started skiing first. I think they were pretty basic boots at the time and I have used them every year since. The liner is very badly worn around the ankles so I think it's time for a new pair.
    I called into Snow + Rock recently and tried a few pairs. The Atomic Hawx Magna 110s fitted really well and felt way better than my old boots.
    I'm going to book a fitting very soon. Is there any particular fitter I should ask for in S+R?

Unfortunately I can't help with any recommendations, but I'm just about to buy my first pair of ski boots and was going to book an appointment in S&R too. Do they have a decent selection of boots out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Inconspicuous,
    They don't have a huge selection of boots, maybe 10-12 different mens boots but they seem to cover all the types that most people require and they will order in boots if they don't have what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

Would recommend Hubert if he’s still there

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous,
    They don't have a huge selection of boots, maybe 10-12 different mens boots but they seem to cover all the types that most people require and they will order in boots if they don't have what you need.

Thanks! I'll give them a shout later and see about getting an appointment so.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Mafra wrote: »
    I don’t think there are many better alternatives in Ireland. I had boots and moulded insoles fitted there 3 years ago and it’s the best thing I’ve done. Boots are perfect fit for me and all day comfort.
    They give a guarantee that they’ll tweak them if not correct etc. Trouble is in Ireland that you’ve got to go on holiday to try them so it’s potentially a week of ill fitting boots until you can tweak them again. I suppose if you buy them at a resort you can try them for a few hours and have them altered on the spot if you have a problem.
    Snow and rock worked out really well for me and I love my boots. (use a powerstrap them now too).
    The cant on one of mine could probably do with some fine tuning but haven’t gotten round to that yet.
    I bought my skis on resort last year though which I would recommend as I tested about 5 pairs over 3/4 days. Good luck with your boots!

Thanks for your advice. Bought a pair in snow and rock before Christmas. Going skiing in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed they fit! Thanks again

Advertisement