Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I got the One S there at the weekend loving it after coming from the hero.

Im on 51% after 18 hours of decent but not heavy use how long are others getting for the S.

Also on the stock music player what is the easiest way to make a playlist the only way I can find is to add each song one at a time which is a pain.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My girlfriend got a One X a few days ago and I told her about the update that was being pushed to the phone to fix the battery issue, but she says it's not there when she checks. Have 3 pushed this update to their customers yet does anyone know? I saw a mention a few days ago that they hadn't yet, but don't know if it's changed since. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Zascar wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any comparisons done on the battery of the S vs the X. If the S was a lot better I probably would go for it. The screen on the S is hardly small and its a lot thinner - might be a more sensible option

The smaller the screen the smaller the power consumption.

Being an amoled screen its a bit more power efficient too especially if your using a pure black theme.

Battery sizes on both are nearly the same. One X has 170 mah but it also has more processor cores and a larger LCD screen. So I doubt battery life would be that different between the two really. One S might be a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

5starpool wrote: »
    My girlfriend got a One X a few days ago and I told her about the update that was being pushed to the phone to fix the battery issue, but she says it's not there when she checks. Have 3 pushed this update to their customers yet does anyone know? I saw a mention a few days ago that they hadn't yet, but don't know if it's changed since. Ta.

I am also with 3 and still waiting for this upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Here is a pretty useful comparison between the One X and One s from Engadget. Says that the battery life is slightly better for the S

I think this has made up my mind that I'm going to go with the One S (plus it's €100 cheaper).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, good link. Although battery is very important to me, a marginal less than 10% difference is not enough to make me settle for the smaller one, I'd end up regretting it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

My One X is at home waiting on me.. only thing is i am not going to be at home until 8 tonight.

What's the first few things i should do with it!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Really happy with the battery life on this. This is with some text, calls, internet, draw something & general messing about.

2012-04-25_13-06-38.png

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Really happy with the battery life on this. This is with some text, calls, internet, draw something & general messing about.

i assume that's the S you're using?

djr wrote: »
    i assume that's the S you're using?

Nope that's the One X

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's incredible, I barely believe it. I'm guessing there was very little actual using of the phone as the screen % is quite small. I heard the standby time is impressive and 3 days even with little usage is amazing. However the screen clearly eats the battery. Can you post another screenshot of the usage screen? What level brightness do you have it on?

Zascar wrote: »
    That's incredible, I barely believe it. I'm guessing there was very little actual using of the phone as the screen % is quite small. I heard the standby time is impressive and 3 days even with little usage is amazing. However the screen clearly eats the battery. Can you post another screenshot of the usage screen? What level brightness do you have it on?

I haven't used it for long periods so that's probs why the screen is low. The brightness is set to auto.

2012-04-25_14-15-35.png

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

Thats pretty impressive battery life.

I got my One X yesterday. Love the phone so far but don't think I could get that amount of time out of the battery however it does lose very little juice while on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'm getting 30 hours from the battery. I am happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

5starpool wrote: »

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1615066

Three UK are not offering the 1.28 upgrade according to this thread. I'd say Three Ireland will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got the One S today. Didn't like the size of the One X and wasn't paying double the price for the quad core and extra storage, which I don't need. Charging it up now, but screen is fantastic. Another reason to go for the S over the X, which is Super LCD, not AMOLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

chrislad wrote: »
    I got the One S today. Didn't like the size of the One X and wasn't paying double the price for the quad core and extra storage, which I don't need. Charging it up now, but screen is fantastic. Another reason to go for the S over the X, which is Super LCD, not AMOLED.

By picking the worse screen?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well... the difference between the One X and One S is around €50. Hardly double the price and it's the One X with the better screen, not the One S.

That said, if you can't handle the size of the One X, the One S is more appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I got the One S today. Didn't like the size of the One X and wasn't paying double the price for the quad core and extra storage, which I don't need.

Did you return the X, in which case who allowed you to return it for that reason; or buy an additional handset, in which case isn't it well for some!?

2012-04-25_13-06-38.png
    The Battery doesn't seem to last too long on my One X.
    Comparing my usage to the one above, Android is using about 30 - 40% of my battery. I am assuming that there must be something running thats taking all the battery.
    Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

The Battery doesn't seem to last too long on my One X.
    Comparing my usage to the one above, Android is using about 30 - 40% of my battery. I am assuming that there must be something running thats taking all the battery.
    Any suggestions?

Not sure why, you could be using it more than me though. I tend to kill of most of the apps that are running behind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well... the difference between the One X and One S is around €50. Hardly double the price and it's the One X with the better screen, not the One S.

That said, if you can't handle the size of the One X, the One S is more appropriate.

My maths must be weak, because here's me thinking that 199 is double that of 99. Sorry! :pac:

The One X does not have a better screen. It might have a higher resolution and DPI, but the actual real world usage of both phones side by side and the One S looks sharper and brighter, which is a trademark of AMOLED vs Super LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

My maths must be weak, because here's me thinking that 199 is double that of 99. Sorry! :pac:

The One X does not have a better screen. It might have a higher resolution and DPI, but the actual real world usage of both phones side by side and the One S looks sharper and brighter, which is a trademark of AMOLED vs Super LCD.

As a One X owner I think your a tad deluded.

Not sure why, you could be using it more than me though. I tend to kill of most of the apps that are running behind too.
    I'm not using it that much after nearly 3 hours of listening to pocket casts.
    It used nearly 60% of battery. According to the battery use: screen: 16% Pocket Casts 17% and Android OS 33%
    This is with Wi-fi, data and bluetooth all turned off.

I wonder ktulu, did you have auto sync turned on or off there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As a One X owner I think your a tad deluded.

I would agree to the other fella (or girl). One S screen is a mile nicer. HTC One X screen might be superior in terms of specs, PPI and etc. but side by side One S screen is just nicer and more joyful to look at.

Trigg171 wrote: »

Forgive my ignorance, how do i check? I have just moved from ios and am not 100% familiar with android yet.

Trigg171 wrote: »

Sync has been on the whole time it seems.

Forgive my ignorance, how do i check? I have just moved from ios and am not 100% familiar with android yet.

In settings if you go to Accounts & Sync it should be in there.

• Advertisement

Sync has been on the whole time it seems.

Well then I'm impressed. 3 days is staggeringly good battery life even with relatively light use.

I'll have to start experimenting around a bit but personally i'm happy if I get a full day which is the case these first 2 days.

Advertisement