Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you believe happens when we die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that when we die we just continue whatever dream we are in. Hope mine is not a nightmare though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The answer is that we don't know, but can can only guess about from what we do know. My presumption is that we become food for worms, simple as that. But that's only a presumption, and it's fun to speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's fun to speculate but let's not mistake speculation with what actually happens based on the evidence. As far as the evidence goes, what we actually know is that absolutely nothing happens after we die. As far as we know consciousness emerges from the brain and when we die the brain dies, consciousness and everythingelse the body does, stops. We cease to exist and our body decomposes. That's all we know according to the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think that when we die we just continue whatever dream we are in. Hope mine is not a nightmare though.

** waves hands in woo-ey fashion **

Life ain't always empty.

Let's say your next door neighbours are annoying, but they're substantially older than you. Some day they'll move out, or get put into a home... but no! Now they're immortal, like cancer cells, and you're stuck with them forever.

Youth, growth, maturity, ageing and death are a fundamental part of human existence (and the existence of every other fúcking thing too, from stars to galaxies to plants to animals to fungi) so if immortality is a thing, at which point in the cycle do we get stuck? Do we get to choose? If you marry more than once, which spouse are you stuck with? If half your limbs are blown off in an unfortunate accident at age 40, in which state are you preserved?

Motivation on a grey Monday morning can be hard to find, what's the motivation when you know that you are stuck in an infinite cycle and everything goes on unchanging forever (you can't even kill yourself) - the ultimate Groundhog Day?

It's fúcking stupid. Nonsense for thick people.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What evidence is there that such ideas were "invented" by Eastern religions?

In reality we have absolutely no idea what anyone believed beyond a, relatively, recent past when human's developed the ability to record their thoughts. Before that we got nuttin.

In the case of Ireland, for example, we have nuttin before Rome took an interest sending Palladius, and Patrick went on a solo run, and both of those were concerned with spreading an Eastern Religion not records native beliefs. Did the Gaelic Irish up to the 5th Century believe in "different "realities" developed independently of any Eastern Influence?

Perhaps, or perhaps not. We have no way of saying with certainty. But one should ponder why the Early Irish version of Christianity contained a belief in Reincarnation (they wrote about it quite matter of factly) when that was not an official tenet from Rome. Did the Xians already here that Palladius was dispatched to minister to bring it with them from wherever they came from? Or was it a long-standing belief that was absorbed by Xianity as it slowly grew.

Is the Otherworld of Gaelic beliefs not a form of "different reality"?

Sure. We don't know if the eastern religions invented the notion of reincarnation.

Whoever invented it, as far as we can tell, they didn't do it based on evidence.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I frankly would not mind being repurposed as a porpoise seing as there is strong evidence I was a rat in a previous existence. There.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It is, of course, but I would think perhaps that eternal existence is something that involves being outside of time (and space). So timeless, as opposed to enduring endless time. And formless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I often wondered about the idea that people, when faced with their own mortality, have any new insights about religion and life after death. Technically I now have a terminal illness and I still think I'll just rot. Consciousness is just a function of a working brain. It'll just end for me some day and that will be that.

• Advertisement

When you think of the comforts people enjoy relative to those who preceded us a hundred years ago, the Jesus-bound storytelling is less attractive than the scientific, if abstruse concepts about space-time. I think of my grandmother who had nine children, two of which died in infancy, the idealized, immaterial comfort of reuniting with "loved ones" in an afterlife seemed logical.

We are now way past a world where people poked only 25clicks from their place of birth and simple domestication. The middling classes can save enough to hop on a plane to far-flung places and gather different points of view at a glance, which to my father, in the early 1930s via Christian brothers education, were presented as barbaric, or deficient when compared to Western Christian tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Nothing,blackness,end of

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I honestly have no idea what happens after death. Even though I did technically die. My memory is of pain and confusion, then pain and controlled confusion and the feeling there had been a glitch in time.

I hope there is 'something' but only because it seem to me such a waste if all the knowledge (in the broadest sense of the term) is just erased. I hate waste.

Meeting people I love again would be nice but I don't have any expectation of that actually happening, I think it's a way we (as in humans) deal with the pain.

I simply don't know so I'm prepared to wait and see - or not see - as the case may be. There is no evidence to support anything after all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What happens when we die?

From our view I believe its no different to sleep, in that we are not aware of it.

I don't fear it, no more then I feared before I was born.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very much the same. Fear of death and desire for a life ever lasting seems to me to be a kind of FOMO. Mortality for me involves knowing that my lifetime is a finite resource to be used and enjoyed as such. I'd wonder where the promise of immortality induces apathy in some people.

All that stuff and nonsense about eternal reward, sky fairy justice, etc. is just getting the downtrodden to accept their lot in life while extracting money from them they could put to better use. It's not for nothing that churches are invariably deeply socially conservative forces.

Life ain't always empty.

The afterlife as depicted by many religions has been used to manipulate people into all sorts of atrocities down the centuries -from promises of vestal virgins if you become a suicide bomber to monetary extortion in return for a straight to heaven ticket - it’s about time religions stopped pretending they have some sort of in with God and admit that like the rest of normal sensible beings that they haven’t got a clue.

And as for that “limbo” place that unbaptised babies who died were supposed to end up, an idea quietly dropped by the Catholic Church in only recent years, that’s just sick!!!

Yes but if you can’t think then you aren’t 😜😜😜

Non-Cogito Ergo Non Sum 🤪🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bottom line is that nobody knows and we will never know as we are not as clever as they think we are.

Personally, the end is the end. Yeah, sure it's nice to think there is an afterlife where we can have the craic with the lads for all eternity but IMO **** ain't like that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Eternal bliss is what I am hoping before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Have no idea but don't have any doubt God exists.

They better have a good steakhouse with a decent selection of Bordeaux wines - I’ll be happy out then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But the question is then, which god.

Like knowing what happens after death, if you think a god exists then you can't know for certain which god.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

I believe in the Christian God. Hard to explain why but I believe it's bona fide. Still have no idea what happens afterward but believe there is a god outside of our space and time, but also omnipresent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Somehow everywhere but somehow also nowhere...

Life ain't always empty.

Like, oddly both omnipotent and impotent, simultaneously and for all time.

I believe she might want to be known as "they".

That's one of these things that sounds profound but I'll bet you couldn't explain what it actually means.

Dan Dennette calls it a deepity. It sounds profound but it's actually meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I chose other.

All we are is molecules and atoms. When we die. The universe just absorbs us back. They might become lots of different things.

I like to think this as it makes it easier when a loved one dies. Specially when explain to kids.

• Advertisement

That's much more satisfying than making up imaginary heavens and hells because it's actually true. A bit like the circle of life in The Lion King. Its exciting to think about it in reverse and wonder what you're made up of.

Bill Bryson talks about it in a short history of everything:

"Because they are so long-lived, atoms really get around. Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms—up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested—probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley.) So we are all reincarnations—though short-lived ones. When we die our atoms will disassemble and move off to find new uses elsewhere—as part of a leaf or other human being or drop of dew. Atoms, however, go on practically forever."

From: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8912984-because-they-are-so-long-lived-atoms-really-get-around-every

Advertisement