Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blood sub

• 09-08-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Just a rules question. If a player comes on as a bloobsub in a senior game is he still eligible for Junior?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Just a rules question. If a player comes on as a bloobsub in a senior game is he still eligible for Junior?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Another rules question for ye. Player gets black card. in 13th minute meaning that there's 10 minutes in sin bin. Water break of 2 minutes at 17 minutes. Is he allowed back in minute 23 or minute 25 (to allow for the water break)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Another rules question for ye. Player gets black card. in 13th minute meaning that there's 10 minutes in sin bin. Water break of 2 minutes at 17 minutes. Is he allowed back in minute 23 or minute 25 (to allow for the water break)?
    Its game time so 23rd minute.

If I was reffing that game he would be back in on 23mins. My interpretation is sin bin time doesnt stop when play stops but it only starts when play resumes after the black card. So once play restarts after hes in the bin, it's exactly 10mins from that point.

dobman88 wrote: »
    If I was reffing that game he would be back in on 23mins. My interpretation is sin bin time doesnt stop when play stops but it only starts when play resumes after the black card. So once play restarts after hes in the bin, it's exactly 10mins from that point.

So in theory, the black carded player should not join the players in the group getting water? As they are still technically playing....

• Advertisement

So in theory, the black carded player should not join the players in the group getting water? As they are still technically playing....

It's my understanding that they shouldnt be near other players, on the bench etc. They should have a space for a "sin bin". Although that's going to be impossible to police at anything other than intercounty

It's my understanding that they shouldnt be near other players, on the bench etc. They should have a space for a "sin bin". Although that's going to be impossible to police at anything other than intercounty

Yeah, thats what I thought. Anyway, just wanted clarification on it. I am sure there will be other situations arising from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sands81

No.

I would think he is still available for Junior as he is only a temporary sub and not an official sub.

Sands81 wrote: »
    I would think he is still available for Junior as he is only a temporary sub and not an official sub.

You would be thinking incorrectly. I get what you're thinking and see merit in it, it's just wrong unfortunately.

I am speaking with such certainty because we lost a key player in a similar situation. If I turn out to be wrong, I'm happy for someone to correct me but we were told our man was no longer available to us after coming on as a blood sub at a higher grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You would be thinking incorrectly. I get what you're thinking and see merit in it, it's just wrong unfortunately.

I am speaking with such certainty because we lost a key player in a similar situation. If I turn out to be wrong, I'm happy for someone to correct me but we were told our man was no longer available to us after coming on as a blood sub at a higher grade.

I'm not sure if this is something that is devolved to county board level as opposed to a GAAwide rule but 100% in Tipp a blood sub does not count for eligibility purposes and in the situation described in the OP the player could still play junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

Another random query on rules - what are the exact rules on barging and best way to draw the foul?

Was playing football at the weekend and my man got the ball a few meters from the right sideline. Saw a runner coming down the touch line and took a chance my man was going to lay it off to the oncoming player which he did and sure enough the man coming onto it who’s almost on the sideline and sees me in the way. I angle myself facing him chest first with about a yard to the sideline in the hope of him lowering the shoulder into me (almost stationary at this point and giving up a couple of stone on the man) which he does which sends us both flying. Ref blows for a foul against me and his teammates are asking for a black card. State my case to the ref for a few seconds but nothing doing and no card either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is something that is devolved to county board level as opposed to a GAAwide rule but 100% in Tipp a blood sub does not count for eligibility purposes and in the situation described in the OP the player could still play junior

Does playing in a senior relegation play off rule a player out of junior?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

You're incorrect. See 6.19 of the official guide.

A player shall not lose his current Championship status by:
    (1) Playing in a Senior or Intermediate Championship
    on a Divisional or Group Senior or Intermediate
    team.
    (2) Playing on a College Club team in a Senior
    Championship, as allowed by Rule 6.8, Exception
    (3).
    (3) Participating in a game or Competition
    the purpose of which is to determine
    Qualification/Relegation for the following year’s
    Championship.
    or
    (4) Participation as a Temporary Substitute, as
    provided for in Rule 1.5 (b) Rules of Control, in a
    Championship Match of a higher grade than his
    current Championship status.

Thanks very much. Happy to be corrected.

Seems we were fed a line to keep a player at the higher grade. Something to bring up at next meeting. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just to point out that sub-section (3) above - Participating in a game or Competition the purpose of which is to determine Qualification/Relegation for the following year’s Championship - also covers Rasputin's question.

So somebody could play in a senior relegation play-off, for example, and still be eligible to play in a lower grade afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Just to point out that sub-section (3) above - Participating in a game or Competition the purpose of which is to determine Qualification/Relegation for the following year’s Championship - also covers Rasputin's question.

So somebody could play in a senior relegation play-off, for example, and still be eligible to play in a lower grade afterwards.

I spotted that too. I don't think that's common knowledge. Although the blood sub thing was news to me too (I would have sworn the senior blood sub would be out for Junior), so maybe I'm just ill informed....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

For some reason, promotion/relegation play-offs are treated as separate competitions to the main competition, and so there are a few quirks involved. This is one of them.

It's a bit like how extra time is treated as a new game rather than the continuation of the drawn match - e.g. you can start with a completely new 15 from that which finished normal time.

Am not sure how it would work if a player was sent off in a relegation or promotion play-off. The usual thing is that the suspension would apply for the next match in the competition in which the red card was issued. But does that mean the player wouldn't be suspended until the next time their club was in a play-off? Which might not actually happen for years?

Advertisement