Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

So we cant visit our families but games are going ahead at the weekend. This has to be the biggest joke i have seen in a while. I am not confident the gaa really care about covid. These games going ahead are the perfect way to spread the virus. Well done GAA Headquarters you never fail to surprise me. If we can't visit our families then i cant see how it is safe to stage games at the weekend. Someone enlighten me.

They are really losing the large majority of people with this. They don't want me to visit my parents and to stop going to the office, but they are happy for a bunch of GA players to trounce across the country for challenges and training. For what..? A nothing league or possibly a championship that no-one wants. Is this really more important than people's lives..??

I don't give a fc*k about sport in this country this year. It's like the gaa don't want a gap year at all costs. They will be a source of shame when this is all over. #gaadisgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Nigh is the point of no return.

Public health supersedes all other considerations.

I take no pleasure in the evident rapid loss of goodwill the GAA is currently experiencing.

The decision has to taken out of their hands and not wait until level 5 restrictions are put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

utter madness nobody want these farcical games

I see Fermanaghs request to the CCCC to have there match called off due to having 10 players test positive for covid has failed. Absolute joke. I guarantee if it happened to the Dubs,Kerry or one of the bigger counties there match would have been called off

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just cancel all training and games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

For all the people that are saying this is going to spread covid with hordes of people traipsing across the country etc. - as far as I know there are 26 players allowed on a panel and 11 backroom team, that (37*2)*32 which is 2368 people in inter county at any one time, if you take the population of the island as 6 million that is 0.039 percent of the population moving for matches, surely the risk in that is alot lower than people going to school, meals, shopping? So if you stop inter county based on a tiny sample size then you should be shutting everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Mehapoy wrote: »
    For all the people that are saying this is going to spread covid with hordes of people traipsing across the country etc. - as far as I know there are 26 players allowed on a panel and 11 backroom team, that (37*2)*32 which is 2368 people in inter county at any one time, if you take the population of the island as 6 million that is 0.039 percent of the population moving for matches, surely the risk in that is alot lower than people going to school, meals, shopping? So if you stop inter county based on a tiny sample size then you should be shutting everything down.

Yes and pretty much everything else is shut down. So shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

shame on our GAA for not showing good example .

when did it ever make sense for 40 players sweating on top of each other .

greed I say

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Yes and pretty much everything else is shut down. So shut it down.

Well lots of stuff is still open, you would get a much bigger impact for instance if you limit cross household interaction than stopping intercounty for the 0.03%.
    Presumably the government has the markers and what effect they would have and I would guess intercounty would be pretty low, compared to the effect on the country's mental health of having games on TV albeit being closed doors. In all the club games I haven't heard of any instances of cross team infection so the effect of sport itself in spreading it seems low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Well lots of stuff is still open, you would get a much bigger impact for instance if you limit cross household interaction than stopping intercounty for the 0.03%.
    Presumably the government has the markers and what effect they would have and I would guess intercounty would be pretty low, compared to the effect on the country's mental health of having games on TV albeit being closed doors. In all the club games I haven't heard of any instances of cross team infection so the effect of sport itself in spreading it seems low.

Yes but other sports should then also restart. I don't know why the gaa have had this exemption at all tbh. I don't see the issue with playing games in any sport as long as distancing etc is complied with. It's healthy... But one rule should be for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

What other mental gymnastics are going to be employed to get the inter county championship to go ahead. This one is dead simple. The GAA enjoys a special privileged position in Irish society and rightfully so. It's an amateur community based organisation that does good work worldwide for the Irish diaspora. I love the GAA myself. But the current carry on disgusts me frankly. We are in an unprecedented pandemic situation and the country is being told they should not visit other households. All the while amatuer sports people are meeting up in large groups for training and matches in a high contact sport. Going all over the island to play matches against people from COVID hotspots. These people who have jobs to go to and families to care for. And the attitude by some is that wont it be great entertainment over the winter. As if our inter county GAA stars are some sort of modern day gladiators who must take to the amphitheatre for the entertainment of the baying masses and sacrifice their own personal safety to do so. The GAA are losing the dressing room very fast on this one. I personally find it all grotesque and I'm almost certain this is a financially driven decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Yes but other sports should then also restart. I don't know why the gaa have had this exemption at all tbh. I don't see the issue with playing games in any sport as long as distancing etc is complied with. It's healthy... But one rule should be for all.

There have been instances of within team infection though, many of them. And that spread then radiating in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Most counties have a minimum of 20 backroom staff and from what I understand all are insisting on the full complement of kitmen, physios etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Coveney also casting doubt over it. I suspect they will finish the 2 rounds of the league but that might be it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

kerry cow wrote: »
    shame on our GAA for not showing good example .

when did it ever make sense for 40 players sweating on top of each other .

greed I say

Greed? Surely they are loosing a fortune with no paying customers? If money was their sole motivation then waiting until the Spring when crowds will most likely be permitted would be the course of action to take?

Why is greed and money always the default of GAA critics?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Dispense with the League. Get the Championship under way as soon as possible before things get any worse. Give us something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

bocaman wrote: »
    Dispense with the League. Get the Championship under way as soon as possible before things get any worse. Give us something to look forward to.

Be better to finish the league that have a half finished championship.

Start a second competition before finishing the first one, running the risk of ending up with two uncompleted competitions - the GAA bashers would love that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Start a second competition before finishing the first one, running the risk of ending up with two uncompleted competitions - the GAA bashers would love that!

Yes I suppose so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Rumours of an announcement coming later on I hear...
    Hopefully sense will prevail for once

Yes I suppose so.

As sure as night follows day, no matter what the GAA do, it will be wrong in the eyes of many, once you accept this it becomes a lot easier :D

So kids do you want to cancel Christmas? Maybe I'm being cynical but this strikes me as a GPA ploy to grab headlines knowing full well that players will want to play: I mean 2 or 3 days before the league kicks off? Come on!!

scrubs33 wrote: »
    So kids do you want to cancel Christmas? Maybe I'm being cynical but this strikes me as a GPA ploy to grab headlines knowing full well that players will want to play: I mean 2 or 3 days before the league kicks off? Come on!!

Representative organisation canvases its members to see what they want.........imagine the shock of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'd actually imagine that a lot of players want the season scrubbed.

I'd actually imagine that a lot of players want the season scrubbed.

Small sample size I know but I have spoken to 5 members of a county senior panel, 3 told me that they were happy to do what the boss wants and they weren't overly concerned, one said he doesn't want to play but as he is new to the panel fears he wont get back if he leaves and another told me he has moved out of home as he lives with his elderly parents he is so concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Be interesting to see the results of that. Edcuated guess say plenty will vote option 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Me thinks you are more than a little bit cynical.

Hardly surprising the GPA would seek to canvas it's members at a point in time when the number of Covid 19 cases is rising exponentially/at such an alarming rate.

I'm presuming player welfare/public health concerns is the kernel of sudden development.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Me thinks you are more than a little bit cynical.

Hardly surprising the GPA would seek to canvas it's members at a point in time when the number of Covid 19 cases is rising exponentially/at such an alarming rate.

I'm presuming player welfare/public health concerns is the kernel of sudden development.

Don't mind me I'm grumpy because I thought there was going to be a bit of action over the next few weeks:( What happens though if theres a split in the camp between players or between players and management? Will be interesting to see what comes of this

Advertisement