Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Troy by Stephen Fry.

This is the third installment of his retelling of the Greek myths and although I was most looking forward to this one, I didn't particularly like it from some reason.

I kinda find it hard to get into his style of writing, I've the first 2 here but have left them down and picked up Homers the Odyssey and the Iliad ahead of them, next up will probably be the Aeneid by Virgil.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I just finished Richard Osmond's book The Thursday Murder Club.
    It is a really easy, enjoyable read, not earth shattering.
    I see it being classified as cozy mystery, that about sums it up.
    Its already being made into a film.

Just finished the three body problem trilogy. Very good although drags a bit in places when it gets too philosophical/ physicsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Have added King Leopolds Ghost (recommended above) and have to stop buying books as my too read pile is getting unweildy (good complaint in fairness).

• King Leopolds Ghost
    • The Final Frontier (sci-fi short story collection)
    • Monks Guide To Happiness (buddhist meditation)
    • 2 x copies of Interzone (bi monthly sci-fi magazine)
    • Slaine the Horned God (graphic novel)
    • The Templars (history of said holy order)
    • The Stone in The Skull (Great/odd fantasy from Elizebeth Bear)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Beyond the tape - by former state pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy.

Fascinating read, really enjoying it and she even throws in some humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Just finished the three body problem trilogy. Very good although drags a bit in places when it gets too philosophical/ physicsy.
    There's loads of good Chinese Sci-fi over the last while. One reason I read sci-fi short stories as you sometimes get a heads up of upcoming authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beyond the tape - by former state pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy.

Fascinating read, really enjoying it and she even throws in some humour.

I'm going to start this one this week. Sounds good!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm going to start this one this week. Sounds good!

It's really good, very interesting...enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer, never read one of his books before, always had them down as mass market trash in my mind for some reason but Im totally sucked in by this, read it until 3am last night, it wont last until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

The Stand - Stephen King.

The girlfriend got me a Kindle for Christmas. Surprisingly enjoyable to read on.

I've read a few Stephen King novels, mostly enjoyed them, so thought I'd give this a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

chops018 wrote: »
    The Stand - Stephen King.

The girlfriend got me a Kindle for Christmas. Surprisingly enjoyable to read on.

I've read a few Stephen King novels, mostly enjoyed them, so thought I'd give this a go!
    im thinking of getting a kindle ..but worried it will give me headaches as my phone does when i read on it.

Do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

im thinking of getting a kindle ..but worried it will give me headaches as my phone does when i read on it.

Do you like it?

If its a paper-white then you can read it for as long as you would a normal book. It doesn't shine in your eyes the same way a phone does.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Do you like it?

It's completely fine. You'd nearly forget you're reading from an electronic device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Do you like it?

I love it so far. I actually find it easier to read than a book, in my opinion. No issues with light. The light is not like a phone or computer light in any way whatsoever.

' you shot my dog and I love you'
    anonymous author.

supposed to be a story written about the author's abusive childhood, set between England and Ireland in the 70s & 80s.
    I'm doubting now if it is actually true, maybe some parts. Has anyone here read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Do you like it?

Kindle is great. It's not like a phone screen at all. Do get the backlit one, it's as subtle as you want it to be and it's just handy for low/night reading. Genuinely couldn't be arsed with books for years since I made the swap. When you go on holiday one device, multiple books and the battery can last for weeks.

If you're into not paying.....books are easy to get as well from the bay of pirates as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I got Marie Cassidy’s book as a present, I can only describe it as utter sh*te. A post retirement passion/cash project á la Seán O Rourke’s RTE project work before his golf outing and so many others who are on massive state pensions but feel the need to cash in some more. This is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I got Marie Cassidy’s book as a present, I can only describe it as utter sh*te. A post retirement passion/cash project á la Seán O Rourke’s RTE project work before his golf outing and so many others who are on massive state pensions but feel the need to cash in some more. This is garbage.

Friend of mine actually bought it himself and literally ****ed it into the fire haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm a big fan of medical memoirs. Currently I'm devouring Reaching Down The Rabbithole by neurologist Allan Ropper. Pretty sure it's free on Kindle Unlimited. It's exceptionally good. All very accessible and understandable even if you don't have a medical background. Just the right balance between the science and the human side of it all ... He has great empathy and compassion. Some very funny anecdotes in there too. Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For Christmas, two different members of my family got me the same book: John Banville, Snow. I am about halfway through not particularly enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

mariaalice wrote: »
    For Christmas, two different members of my family got me the same book: John Banville, Snow. I am about halfway through not particularly enjoying it.

Read it recently and didn't enjoy it either. Very slow

I'm really enjoying it. I think she is very witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A book about how the brain works called Mindsight, and how the author has applied the workings of the brain to therapy, very interesting. Also about to finish Bring up the bodies by Hilary Mantel, very good.
    I read everything on kindle, they are great, although I find myself having too many books going at once as they're so easy to get.
    Also I don't get to have a fancy bookcase behind me when on video calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Three quarters of the way through Shuggie Bain. Really excellent though gritty - the deprivation in 1970s Glasgow is unbelievable.
    Read the Marie Cassidy one - waste of time but thankfully I hadn’t bought it.
    Unorthodox is next - got it for 99p on the kindle. I’ve forgotten who wrote it - Deborah something. The film was on Netflix last year.

A book about how the brain works called Mindsight, and how the author has applied the workings of the brain to therapy, very interesting. Also about to finish Bring up the bodies by Hilary Mantel, very good.
    I read everything on kindle, they are great, although I find myself having too many books going at once as they're so easy to get.
    Also I don't get to have a fancy bookcase behind me when on video calls.

Bringing up Bodies is definitely the best of three. The Mirror and Light was a let down after waiting so long for it to come out.

Don't get me wrong still good read but dragged a lit in places compared to other two. No need for it to be 900 pages.

Can I ask for those who hated Marie Cassidy book are you male?

Just wondering if people see if from differently perspective if male/ female.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bringing up Bodies is definitely the best of three. The Mirror and Light was a let down after waiting so long for it to come out.

Don't get me wrong still good read but dragged a lit in places compared to other two. No need for it to be 900 pages.

If it's just Cremuel doing his thing I could prob read 900 pages of it.
    I'll read it eventually but might need a break from that universe for a while when I finish BUTB.
    I knew Anne B's fate but I've no idea what happened to Jane S or anything after that so at least there's an element of surprise in the next book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭KH25

Went through 2 Stephen King short stories this weekend: Blockade Billy and UR. Thought they were decent, Blockade Billy moreso. Moved on to B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Can I ask for those who hated Marie Cassidy book are you male?

Just wondering if people see if from differently perspective if male/ female.

No - female. I thought it wandered all over the place time wise and there was no structure to it either. Several comments re the murders of Brian Murphy (Annabels) and that lady and her daughters who were murdered in a fire in their house on Christmas Day didn’t sit well with me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Allen Carr. Stop drinking now.

Finished it before Christmas. It has changed my life I'd recommend it to everyone. Absolutely everyone who's ever drank.

Advertisement