Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIM Card

Options
  • 31-12-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a GSM opener for my electric gates and I need to get a SIM card for it. Is there any phone operator best for this? I want to get one with €10 credit that won't expire. My location has good coverage for all the networks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

HI ya,

have this for the GSM intercom for my gates / intercom

I use Vodafone €5 every 180 days, I top up using website and pop a reminderin in phone for 179 days!

will you be using an Intercom ? or it is just a GSM gate opener?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

tech wrote: »
    HI ya,

have this for the GSM intercom for my gates / intercom

I use Vodafone €5 every 180 days, I top up using website and pop a reminderin in phone for 179 days!

will you be using an Intercom ? or it is just a GSM gate opener?

Thanks, I'll give Vodafone a go, €10 per year is hard to beat.

No intercom, just gate opener using this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163491873228

What are the options for intercom using GSM? I ruled it out based on the cost of running cables from the gate to the house.

Epic!!

I got the RU 5035 and have it rigged up to garage door!! looks like a treat, what type of gates / motors have you.

do you have PhotoCells inside you gates?

I've got the faac 770n, operated with the remote controls and a keypad on the gate post. I'm hoping that in the absence of an intercom in the house the GSM opener will be useful.

handy to let the oil lorry in, and also deliveries and so on!!!
    THE GSM intercom is also excellent, dials landline 1st, then mobile 1, then mobile2, mobile 3 if they arent answered.

they are a mighty job. I have the AES

• Advertisement

Sounds good, have you a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Hi guys do you have a link for the Vodafone $10 per month

get a ready to go sim,
    and when you setup your web login for sim / number you can top up by 5e and do so every 180 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Technique wrote: »
    I've got the faac 770n, operated with the remote controls and a keypad on the gate post. I'm hoping that in the absence of an intercom in the house the GSM opener will be useful.

Just a word of caution.

You would need to have a myriad of safety devices on your gate if you are operating them remotely.
    That is as per the Health and Safety Authority's publication on Automatic gates which was issued around 2 years ago

If anything happens to anyone due to your gates, then you are culpable if you have not gotten the gates audited by a professional.

• Advertisement

did you get sorted out. ??

did you manage to restrct the dial in access to certain mobile numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Can't find any reference to the Vodafone sim online that only needs topping up every 6 months.
    Anyone have a link or an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stinky45

Brego888 wrote: »
    Can't find any reference to the Vodafone sim online that only needs topping up every 6 months.
    Anyone have a link or an alternative?

You only find out about the 6 months when your GSM unit in the alarm shows up as faulty and then Vodafone inform you you did not Top Up in 6 months and your SIM needs replacing. (My Experience)

All you need to do is get a 'Ready to Go Sim' put €5 credit in it and set yourself a reminder calendar or phone every 25 weeks or as someone already suggested 179 days to ADD a further €5 credit to the SIM....that's a bit too close for me...LOL

You will not use the €5 unless you have a whole heap of alarms going off....currently I must have built up €45 credit left on the SIM which I'll never use, so I write it off as €5 every 6 months is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Appreciate the reply, good to know how it works.
    I just don't see any reference to pay as you go sims on the Vodafone website. It just redirects to monthly sim plans at €20 a month.
    Might just head into a store.

yes 5e every 180 days , so €10 a year for the GSM intercom to operate.

Im happy with that!
    reminder in phone to keep all in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stinky45

Brego888 wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply, good to know how it works.
    I just don't see any reference to pay as you go sims on the Vodafone website. It just redirects to monthly sim plans at €20 a month.
    Might just head into a store.

I went to a Vodafone just last week a daughter gave me a modern phone so I needed a new SIM...I use the phone little so I'm Ready to Go....just watch out that the SIM you get is the correct size for the GSM unit in the HKC Panel...from memory I think its a large sized SIM compared to the small one I had put in the phone. I think maybe they're all large and you press out the size SIM you need....just something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aminky

Sim ran out of credit so stoped working. I Got a new Vodafone sim. Turned off the voicemail by inputting a code into my phone with the sim in. I can't get the sim to work in the gate.....what am I doing wrong? Clicker and code work fine to open the gate.

Advertisement