Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Phileas Frog received an infraction for personal abuse.

Adhere to the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭ Khalid Scary Arena

Is it down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is it down again?

No, it's working fine presently but it was down for two hrs. last Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭ Khalid Scary Arena

Comhra wrote: »
    No, it's working fine presently but it was down for two hrs. last Thursday.

Ah. I was looking at the met Eireann app earlier and the radar looked down

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Radar echoes for most of the western half of country missing since 14.10h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭highdef

As a result, I'm unsure if the mega shower in the east midlands is really as mega as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our Shannon rainfall radar. Please refer to your regional forecast"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

From Met.ie

'The Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar is currently offline due to a technical fault, hence the loss of coverage in SW Ireland. Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Update:
    The Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar is currently offline due to a technical fault, hence the loss of radar coverage in SW Ireland. Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.
    Apologies for this loss of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just looking at the Met.ie rainfall radar page. It looks like the Shannon radar failed shortly after 2pm but it wasn’t switched off until before 3.45pm. The outline was still there until the time of the switch off.

• Advertisement

• Update:
    Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Update:
    The Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar is currently offline due to a technical fault, hence the loss of radar coverage in SW Ireland. Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.
    Apologies for this loss of data.

I am confused. The radar outline is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Who cares. Its raining non stop. A window can tell us that.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

pauldry wrote: »
    Who cares. Its raining non stop. A window can tell us that.

I care, because it rains a lot I like to know when to expect breaks in the rain and make decisions accordingly. I use it an awful lot.

sumtings wrote: »
    I care, because it rains a lot I like to know when to expect breaks in the rain and make decisions accordingly. I use it an awful lot.

So do I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Matters to me, and most in the SW who work on their land, its nice to nip out between showers knowing when the next is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A bit disappointing to see another major failure only ten weeks approx after the last outage which lasted for ten days (Aug 2 - 14)

Note from ME on13th August last:
    We are awaiting delivery from Germany of replacement parts for the Shannon radar this week. Some additional maintenance work and testing will be required when the replacement parts are fitted.

We will update this article on the expected resumption of service date this Friday.

I suspect the entire facility is on it's last legs and is being patched up to nurse it along from breakdown to breakdown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain here near Tralee this evening ( I had to draw it in myself :D )

T7nMVme.png

Added something (accurate).

radar.jpg

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Added something (accurate).

radar.jpg

We could do this all night , just add in your own weather !

In all seriousness if we could collect rainfall data in near real time from all the boards weather stations, collate it all and generate a map, we could generate a meaningless mess, this probably works better !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Hope they kept the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just replace the thing, how much is it costing every week on parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Not good enough at all, like most of our public infrastructure.

I don't think that, even ME, realise how important this is - after all Dublin works fine :rolleyes:

Clearly a new, useless, website is more important than the radar. I would urge anyone, who depends on this, to write to the Minister & their own TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Discodog wrote: »
    I would urge anyone, who depends on this, to write to the Minister & their own TD.

Imagine wasting your time doing that...

Shannon radar is a joke and always has been. Only in Ireland would such consistent shoddiness be tolerated.

New Moon

• Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Imagine wasting your time doing that...

Shannon radar is a joke and always has been. Only in Ireland would such consistent shoddiness is completely accepted and understood[\b].
    There fyp. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

What was curious about this outage at first was that the radar map showed the outline of the Shannon radar but the echoes were missing. I don't remember seeing this before. Perhaps it is a software issue but whatever the cause I agree with the comments regarding the poor level of service. It should be a very rare occurrence for the service to be down. I think contacting ME directly about the issue might be more effective than contacting politicians: met.eireann@met.ie.

• Advertisement

• Might suit somebody to do this with qualifications like passenger pilot /sea Harbour pilot. My own geographical qualifations aren't super duper

Advertisement