Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann

The maintenance of our Shannon rainfall radar has been completed and it is operational again as of 4:30pm this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Bring on the rain hail & thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Excellent. I see that Netweather hasn't yet picked back up the feed from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Great that it is back. For the record that is 13 days downtime as far as I can tell. Is that correct and has it ever been out of service that long before (other than for upgrades)?

Netweather is back using the Shannon feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Is it a new version of the radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

It looks different alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Comparing past screen grabs it seems they have put a black outline around the Island which makes it stand out more. The radar echoes are the same so not a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still can't zoom out to see the whole country and the NI radar is gone again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Shannon down again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Discodog wrote: »
    Shannon down again?

Looks like it.

Seems to have gone about 10am. Not a good sign after being fixed so recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Back now, just a few frames it was down for, that's common enough and nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Back now, just a few frames it was down for, that's common enough and nothing to worry about.

Down again

Off again since 12.25.

Discodog wrote: »
    Down again

Back since 13:25.

This always occurred before the major issue. Similar can happen with Dublin radar.

Appears to be down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Down again...

Probably one of it's frequent short outages - one or two 1/4 hr. frames.

This often happens with the SNN radar, even during it's reliable phases.

Back after two hrs. Are there still issues even after the recent major repair?

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Back after two hrs. Are there still issues even after the recent major repair?

As has been said countless times, this was always an issue, isn't new and isn't indicative of any major issues.

As has been said countless times, this was always an issue, isn't new and isn't indicative of any major issues.

No need for the attitude. People are entitled to comment here without high horse pompous responses such as yours. How are you entitled to decide whether the Shannon radar has or hasn't issues no more than anyone else on this forum?

No need for the attitude. People are entitled to comment here without high horse pompous responses such as yours. How are you entitled to decide whether the Shannon radar has or hasn't issues no more than anyone else on this forum?

High horse?

What?

I simply said it's a common issue, there's no high horse here. My god.

High horse?

What?

I simply said it's a common issue, there's no high horse here. My god.

You really need to sit back and have a look at your posting style.

You really need to sit back and have a look at your posting style.

Thanks Mod!

Weather really getting to people it seems.

Sorry if you took that up in the wrong way, but it has been discussed here and is common to point that out if it has been. No offense intended.

Thanks Mod!

Weather really getting to people it seems.

Sorry if you took that up in the wrong way, but it has been discussed here and is common to point that out if it has been. No offense intended.

I have read all the discussion here about the SNN radar. I'm simply expressing some surprise that there's a 2 hrs. outage a few weeks after a major repair of the facility.

I'm also aware of the frequent 15 min. outages going on for years, but I was making the point that after a major overhaul, it's strange, imo, to stiill see this happen.

No offence taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There is already a perfectly good aircraft radar station up near blacksod in mayo. Why not stick a weather radar with it.

Secondly a delay in parts delivery in a airport with a DHL depot. You think it would be over night. Or perhaps even keep a few spares.

irishgeo wrote: »
    There is already a perfectly good aircraft radar station up near blacksod in mayo. Why not stick a weather radar with it.

Secondly a delay in parts delivery in a airport with a DHL depot. You think it would be over night. Or perhaps even keep a few spares.

I suspect a bean counter in some office somewhere thinks the present set-up adequate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I suspect a bean counter in some office somewhere thinks the present set-up adequate. :)
    You think they would want to know when its going to rain. It's near constant in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Aircraft radar sites are capable of having a weather feed off the setup, but theres a couple of factors...

Optimised frequencies in use for aircraft radar are usually L band for long range radars and S band for short range commercial radars.

Optimised weather radars are usually C,S and X band, depending on what you're trying to pick up.

So the only overlap is S band, which I doubt the radar in Mayo is, if it's more than likely covering the Atlantic.

To co-locate 2x frequencies on completely different bands on primary radar heads takes some expensive antenna engineering, along with the additional equipment required, you'll always have a tradeoff too, where the performace of both radars will never be as good a s a dedicated single radar head for each..... something that safety first industries like ATC will not go for. Also, sometimes it's just easier, from both a cost and "who looks after this" perspective to have 2 seperate equipment setups....

Depending on the age of the Selex radar, parts are becoming harder to come across, not knowing the exact model, it's hard to tell, but I've come across some other Selex issues where spares were made to order, as the equipment was pretty much end of support life.

Advertisement