Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assisted Suicide

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Look up Liverpool Pathway and the various reactions to it. Any such plan is so easily abused. And was. I am deeply suspicious of old folk being given end of life injections" to make it easier for them"
    Dr. Murad Jacob Kevorkian (May 26, 1928 – June 3, 2011) was an American pathologist and euthanasia proponent in Michigan. Convicted of murder in 1999. Anti-euthanasia media and citizens called him Dr. Death. The debate about his actions continues, depending upon your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Graces7 wrote: »
    Look up Liverpool Pathway and the various reactions to it. Any such plan is so easily abused. And was. I am deeply suspicious of old folk being given end of life injections" to make it easier for them"

My view is that the benefit to all of having control, should they so choose, over the end of their life, outweighs the mitigated (but nevertheless potential) risk of abuse to the few.

If I ever get a horrible terminal illness like motor neurone disease I would take great comfort from the fact that I could choose to avoid the final and most painful inevitable descent into death and not have to put my family through that torture also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There are, rightly, very stringent checks and balances in countries that facilitate assisted dying. There is no "easy" way to abuse such a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A dog or a horse cannot choose. We can and many do.

I honestly could never ever ask anyone to help me in suicide. It is a huge burden to put on someone.

• Advertisement

Maybe put yourself in the shoes of someone terminally ill who is desperate to put an end to their pain but isn't physically able to complete the task themselves?

In that scenario would you still view it as a burden on yourself to be asked rather than an opportunity to help someone you love in their greatest moment of need?

I can't ever imagine asking someone to help me if I found myself in a situation where I wanted to commit suicide due to being terminally ill but if I did I'd ask the person who loved me most and would hope they'd do the same should the roles be reversed.

You are asking re killing someone. No. Nor would I or will I ever ask that of anyone for myself. That is too great a burden.

Easy enough to take the high road when you haven't walked in the shoes of someone dying of unbearable terminal pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Across the pond the State of Oregon has provisions for this form of treatment. But it is considered a last resort, after the exhaustion of all other forms of medical and psychological treatment. There are provisions elsewhere, too, and have been studied. One of many sources:

Gerson, SM, el al, Assisted Dying and Palliative Care in Three Jurisdictions: Flanders, Oregon, and Quebec. Annuals of Palliative Medicine 10(3), 3528-3539, 2021.

MOD: We can study, source, and discuss assisted suicide on this forum in general, but we must be cautious not to encourage it for specific persons we know. That falls under giving medical advice, which is against this site’s rules.

Aah but you have no idea about my life experiences. You really don't and just ? assume that because my decisions do not agree with yours that that is so. All my life decisions are arrived at though long hard experience . There have been times of greatr temptation. GREAT temptation but I know I made the right choices to endure and survive. And would do again . And no not "easy".

• Advertisement

My only reference was "unbearable terminal pain" which I hope you are not equating your experiences to.

I'm arguing someone with unbearable terminal pain should, in a fully informed and medically validated manner, be allowed to choose to avoid such a horrible and undignified death.

I'm NOT talking about other scenarios where someone might feel compelled or heavily tempted to commit suicide and in fact I would argue we need to do more as a society to help people reach out and seek help for whatever problems they are having long before it gets to a point where they are contemplating suicide.

There is however no equivalence between someone who desperately wants to live but is terminally ill and doesn't want to die in a painful and undignified manner and someone who might have a very troubling but not life threatening issue to deal with. IMHO one deserves the right to choose the manner and timing of their death whereas the other person needs support and counselling and whatever else may be required to help them deal with the non life threatening problems they face.

You do not know me or what I have endured or done or not done in my long life . Easy to point a finger ... I speak with experience not theory and having the deepest respect for human life and the law is not " taking the high road" . Many in extremis later are thankful someone did not facilitate suicide.

Three observations:-

1. What about those who have to suffer later than necessary and at the end of their torture would have been thankful if someone had been allowed to facilitate their suicide?
    2. Although some in extremis later may be thankful someone did not facilitate their suicide there are also many who's suicide was facilitated are were glad to have had that option.
    3. If those in extremis who later were thankful someone did not facilitate their suicide had in fact been facilitated they wouldn't have any later regrets as they'd be dead.

Casuistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

What about assisted suicide in the case of a psychiatric illness? Canada was supposed to extend it next month but have delayed it until 2024 due to concerns that there ween't enough safeguards.

2 February 2023 MAID eligibility temporary exclusion for only “mental illness” extended until 17 March 2024 per Canada.ca.

Recommendations of the Expert Panel in MAID and Mental Illness, Appendix A, parl.ca give an extensive list of recommendations that may have affected the above delay.

Right now I'd be far less comfortable with assisted suicide in the case of psychiatric illness for three reasons:-

1. I (thankfully) haven't any personal experience or have known anyone so affected by psychiatric illness that they wanted to commit suicide but I am aware it is one of the key reasons people take their own lives.
    2. Psychiatric illness's are not in and of themselves physically "terminal" as far as I'm aware but then I'm really not very well informed in that regard.
    3. Psychiatric illness and its severity, which might have to be assessed and judged, before someone could seek an assisted suicide would require far more subjective judgement than someone with a terminal illness who's prognosis is well understood and accepted amongst medical experts.

The above does not mean I think people with severe psychiatric illness are suffering any less than those with non psychiatric terminal illnesses and it does not mean I think it's impossible for a safe protocol to be developed to allow those with the most severe and life debilitating psychiatric illnesses, with little or no possibility of improvement, to have a safe pathway to a release from such suffering via assisted suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think we need to be careful employing animal analogies as some were doing earlier in the thread.

Yes animals are put down to alleviate extreme suffering but they are also hunted for sport, farmed and then put down in order to be eaten or put down when not economically viable.

I'm not opposed to assisted suicide in an ideal world but I do see it as potentially open to abuse in practice.

If you replace the word "animals" with "much loved pets" it'll give the correct context when referencing animal analogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Emblematic

• Advertisement
Advertisement