Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

most memorable murder? and most interesting unsolved crimes?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Not really a conspiracy theory but thought this was the best forum to put my thread into.

just have an interest in unsolved mysteries/ murder cases (im not a creep btw) :)

anyways just interested to hear what people think is the most memorable case in Ireland or elsewhere?(im talking 2000 onwards)

Probably Michaela Hartes for me. or the 2 schoolgirls that were murdered by the school caretaker in the UK back in the early 2000s.

and just wondering why do you think some cases get more coverage than others? for e.g Michaela Hartes,Jill Meaghers and Karen Buckleys got huge coverage, however I don't remember Nicola Furlongs getting as much even though her case was similar in some ways to theirs esp. Jill and Karens. (even though it was still a relatively high profile case)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where's Amy Fitzpartick? Something is very suspicious with Amy's case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Who shot JR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

The Original Night Stalker. There's a free book on Sribd called Night Terror about him. Really chilling.

Also like th Zodia killer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm still stubbornly interested in the Leinster disappearances - Annie Mc Carrick, Jojo Dollard, Deirdre Jacob. (Eva Brennan?)

There is one prime suspect, and maybe a second possible: but without some actual evidence there can be no convictions (and rightly so, of course)

However, no trace of any of the missing was ever found: not a shoe nor a sock nor anything carried by any of them. That is actually quite unusual in crime investigation: there was nothing. No witnesses, no forensic, no scene of crime, no body.

My brain scratches away at this mystery, I'd love to do some amateur sleuthing and solve the puzzles!
    But I'm not Sherlock Holmes and I don't know how to go about it. :-(

What offers, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

katemarch wrote: »
    I'm still stubbornly interested in the Leinster disappearances - Annie Mc Carrick, Jojo Dollard, Deirdre Jacob. (Eva Brennan?)

There is one prime suspect, and maybe a second possible: but without some actual evidence there can be no convictions (and rightly so, of course)

However, no trace of any of the missing was ever found: not a shoe nor a sock nor anything carried by any of them. That is actually quite unusual in crime investigation: there was nothing. No witnesses, no forensic, no scene of crime, no body.

My brain scratches away at this mystery, I'd love to do some amateur sleuthing and solve the puzzles!
    But I'm not Sherlock Holmes and I don't know how to go about it. :-(

What offers, eh?
    Have you heard the claim that Jojo is buried on a farm and the farmer will not allow gardai in to search.? I heard that but do not believe it as he could not stop them if they had a reasonable suspicion

• Advertisement

Have you heard the claim that Jojo is buried on a farm and the farmer will not allow gardai in to search.? I heard that but do not believe it as he could not stop them if they had a reasonable suspicion

No, I never heard that one: and I'm pretty sure the police would investigate if even a whisper of a possibility reached their ears.

What I have heard - about seventh-hand from source - is a rumour that the area in which the last kidnapping was found ("The one that got away") is also where several other previous victims may be buried: in deep graves prepared before the crime took place.

I've had a quick glance at the area on Google Earth: very remote and dense forestry. It wouldn't be at all easy to sleuth for twenty-year-old burials in the middle of all that!

katemarch wrote: »
    No, I never heard that one: and I'm pretty sure the police would investigate if even a whisper of a possibility reached their ears.

What I have heard - about seventh-hand from source - is a rumour that the area in which the last kidnapping was found ("The one that got away") is also where several other previous victims may be buried: in deep graves prepared before the crime took place.

I've had a quick glance at the area on Google Earth: very remote and dense forestry. It wouldn't be at all easy to sleuth for twenty-year-old burials in the middle of all that!
    which one got away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

which one got away?

I think they mean Larry Murphy's victim who
    was saved by hunters

I think they mean Larry Murphy's victim who
    was saved by hunters

Yes, that's the one I meant. It's all been reported in the papers so there's no harm in mentioning it here, I think.
    It is a hill with forestry, northwest of Baltinglass and just on the edges of the Wicklow Mountains National Park.

The rumour I heard was that when the hunters came upon the two people struggling, the woman had a black bag over her head already and they were standing near a deep pit.

And Murphy was widely believed to have frequented that area and been in that woodland often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lord Lucan, not so much the murders, i think it's common knowledge now that he did it, but his whereabouts after fascinates me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

scudzilla wrote: »
    Lord Lucan, not so much the murders, i think it's common knowledge now that he did it, but his whereabouts after fascinates me

Rumor is he was a mod on some forum ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I find the disappearance of Madeleine McCann to be the most interesting case. (It's obviously terribly sad as well).

Particularly interesting is the fact that the McCanns changed their story at the start. Having initially reported that the window had been "jemmied" and that Madeleine was taken through this window, they did a complete reversal on the story when it was discovered that there was no damage to the windows at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Tupac Shakur

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Meredith Kercher case is fascinating. I don't think Amanda and her boyfriend did it, but the entire case was a bungle from start to finish, by the police.

Great documentary on Netflix about it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

The murder of Grace Livingstone in 1992 has always fascinated me.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-reports/unsolved-crimes-how-grace-livingstones-killer-got-away-with-murder-34944717.html

No-one has ever been convicted, and it occurred at an interesting time in Ireland. The Troubles were ongoing in the North, with paramilitary elements on both sides of the conflict remaining active until 1994. It was also only a matter of days after an election which saw the retirement of CJ Haughey. Also during this period, planning corruption practices that formed the basis of a substantial part of the Mahon Tribunal on Planning Irregularities were taking place involving a number of well-placed and powerful individuals, following on from years of nefarious back-room deals. In the midst all of this was Grace's husband, James Livingstone, a special investigator with the Revenue Commissioners. he was arrested as part of the investigation, but I don't believe he had anything to do with it. But it has always bugged me, did his job or the work that he was involved in lead to the death of this woman? Did he get too close to people with something to hide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

The disappearance of Phillip Cairns remains a chilling case, thirty years after he went missing. Gareth O'Callaghan's theories based on his research into Phillip's case are truly disturbing. I hope Gareth is wrong, as it's too horrible to comprehend that an innocent child was abused and disposed of in such a horrific manner, only to have the perpetrator/perpetrators protected by the very institutions who are supposed to protect the innocent, not the guilty. Either way, the fact that the Cairns family have no closure, regardless of how Phillip's eventual fate unfolded, is the most tragic part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Raonaid Murray

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-reports/unsolved-crimes-how-grace-livingstones-killer-got-away-with-murder-34944717.html

No-one has ever been convicted, and it occurred at an interesting time in Ireland. The Troubles were ongoing in the North, with paramilitary elements on both sides of the conflict remaining active until 1994. It was also only a matter of days after an election which saw the retirement of CJ Haughey. Also during this period, planning corruption practices that formed the basis of a substantial part of the Mahon Tribunal on Planning Irregularities were taking place involving a number of well-placed and powerful individuals, following on from years of nefarious back-room deals. In the midst all of this was Grace's husband, James Livingstone, a special investigator with the Revenue Commissioners. he was arrested as part of the investigation, but I don't believe he had anything to do with it. But it has always bugged me, did his job or the work that he was involved in lead to the death of this woman? Did he get too close to people with something to hide?
    is there a book about that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've recently been looking into the Robin Hood Hills Murders from the 90s (West Memphis 3), where three 8 year old boys were found hog tied, murdered in a ditch.

The 3 accused (West Memphis 3) are out of prison now, and were never responsible for the murders to begin with.

West of Memphis on Netflix is a great watch. Be warned however, there are pictures of the murdered boys featured. Really chilling stuff

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I've recently been looking into the Robin Hood Hills Murders from the 90s (West Memphis 3), where three 8 year old boys were found hog tied, murdered in a ditch.

The 3 accused (West Memphis 3) are out of prison now, and were never responsible for the murders to begin with.

West of Memphis on Netflix is a great watch. Be warned however, there are pictures of the murdered boys featured. Really chilling stuff
    Did you see the HBO Paradise Lost series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills
    and the book Devil's Knot

I saw all four documentaries, read Devil's Knot and saw a fictional film on it and still do not know what happened. Some sleazy folk in that part of the world. Echols is one major egotistic pain. I have his book too but did not read it

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The Meredith Kercher case is fascinating. I don't think Amanda and her boyfriend did it, but the entire case was a bungle from start to finish, by the police.

This case is off the wall.. Guede says somebody broke in after he'd had consensual sex with Kercher, and killed her while he was on the jacks listening to his iPod. He took a look in the mirror and bailed for Germany. After the murder, Amanda Knox goes out buying lingerie and starts doing cartwheels down the police station, before pointing the finger at the local barkeep. And Sollecito's DNA is found at the scene but he claims not to have been there.... tbh, I don't trust any of them but I couldn't even give a reasonable guess as to how that one played out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Very very sad case. I have always thought it was probably something to do with his work that caused that innocent woman to be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

JFK all the way, best murder mystery ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I watched a documentary on the Jonbenet Ramsey case there the other day. Little girl who was found dead in the basement of her home. It was back in the 1990's.

The investigators went in with a fine tooth comb and what they uncovered was amazing. 20 years later no-one has been arrested for this but it is crystal clear who did it.

Won't spoil anything if people want to watch it. You can get both parts on YouTube. Just search for Jonbenet Ramsey documentary it's there in 2 parts.

PlainP wrote: »
    I watched a documentary on the Jonbenet Ramsey case there the other day. Little girl who was found dead in the basement of her home. It was back in the 1990's.

Hey There PlainP. Was that this one?

I was just gonna post about that one here.. I'm not sure if you've seen it but the brother came out since that documentary and gave an interview with Dr. Phil... All the repetition and re-iteration is painful on Dr Phil though, the whole show could have been done in an hour, but they split it across three shows.

saying that he had nothing to do with it. He's a very odd boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Hey There PlainP. Was that this one?

I was just gonna post about that one here.. I'm not sure if you've seen it but the brother came out since that documentary and gave an interview with Dr. Phil... All the repetition and re-iteration is painful on Dr Phil though, the whole show could have been done in an hour, but they split it across three shows.

saying that he had nothing to do with it. He's a very odd boy.

Yes that's the one. It's fairly obvious to me that he did it. He was only 9 at the time though so I don't know how culpable he was then. When they interviewed him afterwards he seemed quite "normal" and matter of fact about the whole thing. The family dynamics weren't great, it's a shame poor Jonbenet has not had justice. Will defo check out the Dr Phil interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Long Island Serial Killer is a fascinating case, especially considering what led to the bodies being found.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you like this thread, then I recommend the books of John Douglas (inspiration for FBI profiler in Silence of the Lambs)... not convinced about his theories on the Ramsey case, but thought provoking and concerning stuff.
    He says he will not visit Italy as a result of the Knox case.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Jimmy Hoffa

Advertisement