Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoegaze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't know most of the bands on it, but 31 pounds for 5 CDs isn't bad! Though, when I read "rarities", does that mean tracks that didn't make it to albums!

I usually don't buy a compilation if it has too many songs on it that I know/have already. I have a quick listen to the 30 second samples and make a decision on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah, I don' know most of the stuff on this bar the obvious ones. Maybe this is what would make it a good purchase. Lots of new music for me, even though it's old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What's everyone's thoughts on the new pinkshinyultrablast?

S.M.B. wrote: »

Sex product or band?

• Advertisement

No offense,sounds familiar is there a tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mgkelly

iomega wrote: »
    Cherry Red are releasing a 5 disc shoegaze compilation this month. Still In A Dream: A Story Of Shoegaze 1988-1995

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/check-out-our-official-trailer-for-still-in-a-dream-a-story-of-shoegaze-1988-1995′/

Bought this & working through it. Very tasty.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

mgkelly wrote: »
    Bought this & working through it. Very tasty.
    :D

Just finished-a marathon of late 80s/early 90s nostalgia. I wouldn't get into 'genres' as there's plenty of variation between the 87 tracks, but its a wonderful compendium for those interested in this thread. The presentation and written pieces are v good too. All in all, €40 well spent!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No offense,sounds familiar is there a tune?
    https://soundcloud.com/club-ac30/pinkshinyultrablast-the-cherry-pit

Full album stream here.

Out tomorrow.

Cheers SMB! Will have a listen to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mgkelly

Ordered this yesterday. The tracklisting is very comprehensive regarding the bands of that period and there's quite a few bands I've never listened to.

It is however missing Canada's answer to The Verve:

This is very good indeed. Thanks for this.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I dug Everything Else Matters but Grandfeathered doesn't offer anything new. I found it a tad on the bland side.
    mgkelly wrote: »
    This is very good indeed. Thanks for this.
    :)
    Listen to their album Somnium. You will not be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

The new big pink e.p. is out this week, looking forward to it, the title track is quality...
    https://soundcloud.com/the-big-pink/hightimes-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any shoegaze related gigs coming up in Dublin (area)? It was unfortunate Ride's only gig here was at electric picnic

donaghs wrote: »
    Any shoegaze related gigs coming up in Dublin (area)? It was unfortunate Ride's only gig here was at electric picnic

Not that I know of,but check out this band from Dundalk. They played Whelans recently would be worth keeping an eye for the next Dublin/Festival outing,I certainly will be.

A certain band by the name of Slowdive are currently working on a new album :)

http://thequietus.com/articles/20204-slowdive-are-working-on-a-new-album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Telescopes are at the Workman's on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Telescopes are at the Workman's on Sunday
    Thanks, but hate to admit they're one of the bands I never really got around to listening too. There's always youtube thankfully nowadays to catchup, but Sunday is too short notice for me!

Thanks, but hate to admit they're one of the bands I never really got around to listening too. There's always youtube thankfully nowadays to catchup, but Sunday is too short notice for me!
    I highly recommend giving Taste a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

mmoth whom I believe come from Kildare are making a great music right now. Although they are a predominantly electronic group, the shoegaze influence is unmissable .
    They've a couple of ep's on soundcloud that deserve a listen.
    I live miles away from Ireland right now but I'm hoping the next time I'm back it coincides with when they play live. Hopefully they play along side Lacker and /or Forests.

• Advertisement

MMOTHS is only one guy.

MMOTHS is only one guy.

shoegaze? man he has radically changed so.

shoegaze? man he has radically changed so.

Never said he was shoegaze.
    I forgot you have to sound just like Ride to get acknowledged here.
    Shame.

Vinculus wrote: »
    Never said he was shoegaze.
    I forgot you have to sound just like Ride to get acknowledged here.
    Shame.

Hardly,loads of stuff gets posted here and very little is Ride related.I had him pegged as electronic,I only know a few tracks so if you say there are elements of shoegaze fair enough,there could very well be.

No offense or anything you can post whatever you like here,the rulez in so much as they don't exist are vague.:)

No worries, I've been listening to Shoegaze for quite a while, so I'm bound to be a little bit sensitive.
    I've had a busy week but I really wanted to go back and have another listen, to make sure I wasn't hearing things that weren't there and I can still really hear that strong Shoegaze influence. The Down tempo electronica element is definitely there but the body of the track is just blissful distortion and noise.
    I imagine his live shows are impressive.

https://soundcloud.com/mmoths

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Australia's Flyying Colours maybe? Saw them at Primavera 2 years ago, debut album released this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

iomega wrote: »
    Cherry Red are releasing a 5 disc shoegaze compilation this month. Still In A Dream: A Story Of Shoegaze 1988-1995

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/check-out-our-official-trailer-for-still-in-a-dream-a-story-of-shoegaze-1988-1995′/

I dunno how I missed this thread. When I saw the title, I came on to post about that album ^^^ as I bought it when it came out. It's great! :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

A certain band by the name of Slowdive are currently working on a new album :)

http://thequietus.com/articles/20204-slowdive-are-working-on-a-new-album

Good track from them..

https://slowdive.lnk.to/star-roving

• Advertisement

I really like the new song. New music from reformed bands usually tends to disappoint, but this song certainly does not.

Advertisement