Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€200 rental difference from 1st to 3rd floor

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

morrga wrote: »
    No but the missus works from home a few days a month.

I've lived in the same situation for six years and the inconvenience was minimal, and I was at home all day every day for all of last year, barely knew the builders were there on a day to day basis.
    Building works that aren't in your building are not a reason to challenge a rent increase imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

"I doubt" or "I know"? If the landlord can show that another third floor apartment in the area rents for that amount, then he "will know" and you no doubt will be paying the increase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I doubt the rent increase is in line with other 2 bedroom apartments with a building site for a front garden and that is the line we are happy to toe.
    We have yet to sign a new lease and we havent agreed to the rate they propose. Understand it can be backdated if PRTB rules against us but happy to go that route given the inconvenience of a new building site does not equate to the rent of similar 2 beds in the area with peace and quiet as any tenancy is entitled to expect.

Is there an actual PRTB dispute pending? If not, then you're acting outside the legislation and the landlord could (theoretically at least) evict you for arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Would you not shop around for something cheaper if there's cheaper to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So, this saga still runs on as we have yet to agree to signing a lease. We paid 1,550 last month despite there last request been for 1,575. Out of principal 1,550 was as far as we would go.

Anyway, in the mean time, we received a letter in the post stating that a new apartment block was going to be built within 20 metres of our current buidling right in front of our Balcony. This building site and all its paraphanalia will contine for 18 months and every Saturday morning. This information was known to the landlord since July 14 yet they did not feel they should make us aware of this whilst trying to sign us up to a new lease?

Thankfully our refusal to sign has meant we have not locked ourselves into a lease at well over its asking price giving the inconvenience a building site in your front garden brings. Now we feel our rate should fall back to its original rate from last year. Honestly the underhand dealing of it all continues to beggar belief.
    The ll was under no obligation to tell you, your free to check online planning applications and also site notices. owners don't get to pay reduced mortgages if something happens.
    You don't need to agree to a rent increase, at the moment you are behind in your rent. The landlord should issue an notice of arrears leading to eviction

• Advertisement

• First floor is often a difficult to rent floor as it can be just over the hall or garage entrance which can mean additional noise and disturbance, so indeed a 200 difference between it and the third could be reasonable.

If you still feel strongly about your situation I would suggest that you refuse to sign the new lease but pay the LL the new amount, then tell him that you are looking for a new place in the locality as you feel his is too expensive and you are concerned about the building work.

This gives you two possibilities, you may actually find a nice apartment for less money, which will be a better long term solution. Alternatively, if you make it clear that you will not be looking for extra jobs, upgrades etc, he might decide to reduce your rent for signing the lease, to avoid losing a month or two of rent.

Alternatively you might discover, when you start looking, that the rental asked is not unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP if you are unhappy about the rent increase and the construction work. My advice is move out. If you bring it to the PRTB, you will probably have to wait 6 months for your case to be heard. You will have to take time off work etc.

But Im sure you are aware its near impossible to find a property in this city ATM. Even if you decided to move out tomorrow, it will take months to find a decent place.

Advertisement