Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Was meant to get 25k outside the ring...but I wonder....

Did the auctioneer not say he was on the market at €6000??

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

What is the story with getting someone (dealer or agent) to buy sheep for you. I know for cattle you can get a dealer to buy them for you at the mart for a fee if you don't want the hassle of going to the mart. Is it the same with sheep and if so how much a head would you expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone else finding lambs getting scouring since all the rain and increase in grass growth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Tileman

k mac wrote: »
    What is the story with getting someone (dealer or agent) to buy sheep for you. I know for cattle you can get a dealer to buy them for you at the mart for a fee if you don't want the hassle of going to the mart. Is it the same with sheep and if so how much a head would you expect to pay?

Yes u can. Depends on how many u want. A lad around here charges around 3€ and will deliver them to u but has a minimum wage charge if 100€ to make it worth his while. I’m sure you could get better pricing if you wanted bigger numbers and he could group them together over a short time so he wasn’t delivering to u a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've heard of neighbours doing it and mart managers doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding lambs getting scouring since all the rain and increase in grass growth ?

Yes have seen that here too despite regular dosing. Starting to get maggots now too as Ectofly cover is wearing off

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

ganmo wrote: »
    I've heard of neighbours doing it and mart managers doing it

Ya I have a neighbour and a few friends I could ask, am just wondering how much to throw them for the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

razor8 wrote: »
    Did the auctioneer not say he was on the market at €6000??

That's what i thought too when i watched it first, how could he not sell him when the auctioneer had announced he was on the mart? Any mart I've ever sold at it's only the seller can agree to put the stock on the market, thus agreeing to be sold at whatever price he ends up at?

But then again i'm not often asked do i want to put them on the market when they're already at 6 grand. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

That's what i thought too when i watched it first, how could he not sell him when the auctioneer had announced he was on the mart? Any mart I've ever sold at it's only the seller can agree to put the stock on the market, thus agreeing to be sold at whatever price he ends up at?

But then again i'm not often asked do i want to put them on the market when they're already at 6 grand. :D:D

I think at some of these sales,once a ram hits a certain price. They are automatically on the market. Then when the auctioneer falls the hammer. The seller says yes or no and ram is either sold or not. No messing about going back for more bids etc.

I could be totally wrong. Don't have much experience with selling rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

That's the way he runs it all the time
    your animal is on the the market from the first bid
    you say yes or no at the end
    its faster for him when he's selling big numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I found one of my bought in store lambs on his side in the field two weeks ago, he was almost dead. Brought him into the vet and it turned out he was deficient in vitamin b 12. Anyways two injections later and the vet gave me a quarter used bottle of vitamin b12. Charged 37 to look at the lamb which was Brought in and 45 euro for the bottle of b12 and the remainder of the other injections. You wouldn't want to be taking too many lambs to the vets that's for sure. Luckily he'll live but I'll be lucky to get that for him come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

farming93 wrote: »
    I found one of my bought in store lambs on his side in the field two weeks ago, he was almost dead. Brought him into the vet and it turned out he was deficient in vitamin b 12. Anyways two injections later and the vet gave me a quarter used bottle of vitamin b12. Charged 37 to look at the lamb which was Brought in and 45 euro for the bottle of b12 and the remainder of the other injections. You wouldn't want to be taking too many lambs to the vets that's for sure. Luckily he'll live but I'll be lucky to get that for him come January.

The rest of them could need a cobalt dose, I think B12 deficiency is from lack of Cobalt, previous farm must've been low in cobalt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi all, what ram would lads put in Suffolk x ewe hoggets? I was thinking a Charolais or Texel? There black faced so don’t fancy putting a Suffolk ram on them. All lambs are sold so don’t keep any replacements. Thanks, Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi all, what ram would lads put in Suffolk x ewe hoggets? I was thinking a Charolais or Texel? There black faced so don’t fancy putting a Suffolk ram on them. All lambs are sold so don’t keep any replacements. Thanks, Mac

Charolais

kk.man wrote: »
    Charolais

Might need put in a warning....requires indoor lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Might need put in a warning....requires indoor lambing

We lamb outdoors..... always have......what would the recommendation be for outdoor lambing?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    We lamb outdoors..... always have......what would the recommendation be for outdoor lambing?

Id personally go for texel.....charlois can be v.bare and a bad week at lambing time could rob you of money,through deaths

Though vendeens are a good terminal breed imo

Id personally go for texel.....charlois can be v.bare and a bad week at lambing time could rob you of money,through deaths

Though vendeens are a good terminal breed imo

Born with wool and easy lambed .......what's not to like

wrangler wrote: »
    [/B]

Born with wool and easy lambed .......what's not to like

Some have v.fast growing toes.....to point of near lamenes at 6 weeks

Though found em a good breed overall

Some have v.fast growing toes.....to point of near lamenes at 6 weeks

Though found em a good breed overall

So I'm told, no sheep gets a chance to get lame here but wouldn't find them any worse than texel or Lleyn. The whole flock gets footbathed at the first worming at six weeks and I believe that's a crucial time for lameness. If you let the lameness get chronic at that age it's very difficult to get them right after.

Just edited to say that I gave my rollover crate away last week after it being in the ditch for the last ten years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would a trailer licence be required to pull an 8x5 trailer with decks?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We buy a lot of lambs this way through an agent. You just tell him what you want and what you will pay. He’ll ring and say I’ve 100 lambs here at such a price. I offer less and say I don’t really want them and he brings them anyway:-) I don’t ask where he got them and how much he paid that’s his business everyone has to make a buck. They’re mostly direct from farmers in good size groups usually the west but cork/kerry also. He’s making a good living from it and it saves us time and money looking for lambs and standing around marts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DJ98 wrote: »
    Would a trailer licence be required to pull an 8x5 trailer with decks?

Yes, you can pull it just about empty but if there's more than 200kgs(?) in it, you'll need the licence.

Not sure about the weight but that will depend on the trailer weight and the car or jeep pulling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

What’s the best mains fencer on the market at moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Looking for a pb Suffolk ram to breed replacements from mostly Belclare ewes. Any recommendations for reputable breeders? Preferably in munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pel 836r, a horse of an energiser.

https://pel.co.nz/en/product/836r-mains-energizer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Pel, Gallagher and Elephant are all good. Good reports on Cheetah too, made in Carlow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

wrangler wrote: »
    The rest of them could need a cobalt dose, I think B12 deficiency is from lack of Cobalt, previous farm must've been low in cobalt

Expensive mistake for me not dosing them on arrival.

farming93 wrote: »
    Expensive mistake for me not dosing them on arrival.

Might be just a one off, scaley ears is a symptom of Cobalt deficiency, not every farm is cobalt deficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Corded clippers for shearing / bellying a few sheep, Any ideas how to use them without getting the cord caught around sheep legs and breaking ? Was thinking of tapping a hose pipe alongside it or putting the electric cable inside a soft plumbing insulation pipe ? Have also heard of lads tying a bungee strap to it to keep it out of the way, any suggestions ?

Advertisement