Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf courses allowing visitors ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Fermoy golf club charge €800 a year to join and are now charging €5 for each time you book a game on the BRS. Are there any other clubs succumbing to those levels of greed.

I think clubs should charge a fiver per person for booking now and refund it if they show. They're not set up for that admin but I guarantee you it would make some difference to the timesheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You need to be sure it's greed and not necessity.

Hold on, necessity or not, you pay your subs and you know what the terms are. They can’t just start charging you extra. Now if they were the terms when you sign up, that’s different.
    I wouldn’t be happy with that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Hold on, necessity or not, you pay your subs and you know what the terms are. They can’t just start charging you extra. Now if they were the terms when you sign up, that’s different.
    I wouldn’t be happy with that carry on
    Neither would I. But there's an awful lot of detail missing, so trotting out 'greed' as a motive requires substantiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You need to be sure it's greed and not necessity.

What???

Membership is membership - you sign up knowing the terms of it.

You don’t sign up for a gym and then be told 6 months into the year that for entry you need to pay x amount.

If they start doing this stuff with charging per round people should be entitled to their money back if they don’t agree to it.

Neither would I. But there's an awful lot of detail missing, so trotting out 'greed' as a motive requires substantiation.

But it is greed. I can think of about 20 things they could do to raise money that don’t include adding fees per round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Fermoy golf club charge €800 a year to join and are now charging €5 for each time you book a game on the BRS. Are there any other clubs succumbing to those levels of greed.

Interesting that you could get a green fee on golf now for €10 for Fermoy last year, and they are now charging members €5 to play per round, sounds like a club that doesn't know how to value their membership or how to price a green fee.

Looks like they’re not taking 100% of the fee as they dished out 15x €25 vouchers last week.

— —

€25 BRS daily timesheet winners for last week: B Howard, S Feehan, K O'Regan, E O'Sullivan, T Egan, D Horan, M Wren, C Coughlan, M Condon, B Arnold, C McCarthy, A O'Grady, K Condon, D Galvin, A Twomey. Thanks for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't see an issue with charging members a small fee to play casual golf once the club are in need of the cash and not just a money grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I know if plenty of clubs taking member donations at the clubhouse. €2 seems to be the norm

callaway92 wrote: »
    Looks like they’re not taking 100% of the fee as they dished out 15x €25 vouchers last week.

— —

€25 BRS daily timesheet winners for last week: B Howard, S Feehan, K O'Regan, E O'Sullivan, T Egan, D Horan, M Wren, C Coughlan, M Condon, B Arnold, C McCarthy, A O'Grady, K Condon, D Galvin, A Twomey. Thanks for your support.
    Like I said. A bit more detail needed. Seems like they made a competition or draw from it to keep members signing on properly.

• Advertisement

Like I said. A bit more detail needed. Seems like they made a competition or draw from it to keep members signing on properly.

Cool, good man yourself.

But they’re still taking extra money and people have no say in it.

It’s scummy

Cool, good man yourself.

But they’re still taking extra money and people have no say in it.

It’s scummy
    How do you know they had no say in it? It's a members club.

People like to get outraged for no good reason. I get that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

All members were notified of these measures on May 11th. Its a temporary measure and general feedback was encouraged before reopening.

All members were notified of these measures on May 11th. Its a temporary measure and general feedback was encouraged before reopening.

That’s because people are too afraid to mouth about things like it even though it’s wrong.

That’s because people are too afraid to mouth about things like it even though it’s wrong.
    Like mouthing off on an anonymous forum?

Like mouthing off on an anonymous forum?

Not a bit like it and I’m not sure why you said that.

Obv I can mouth here and they’re free to too - They just don’t want to upset others there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah it isnt any different than a levy being suddenly asked of from members. Really like the course, is kept in great condition

Not a bit like it and I’m not sure why you said that.

Obv I can mouth here and they’re free to too - They just don’t want to upset others there.
    Because that's exactly what you're doing. Like if you have a problem with this, phone Fermoy and let them have it. But bear in mind that you've got the wrong end of the stick on this twice already.

Because that's exactly what you're doing. Like if you have a problem with this, phone Fermoy and let them have it. But bear in mind that you've got the wrong end of the stick on this twice already.

Sent them a message on Facebook earlier today. Let me know if you want screenshot or else please stop talking guff to me

EDIT: the reason I’m mouthing btw is because it’s fair for people to vent their opinion. I don’t particularly care about what you/anyone thinks about what I say, whereas clearly people in situations like this wouldn't want to ruffle feathers in their home club etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

I have kept paying my membership for the year despite not playing (Can't wait till 8th June)
    There is already a working capital contribution being paid alongside the membership.
    Not a hope of me paying anything else unless I was seeing something really beneficial in it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah it isnt any different than a levy being suddenly asked of from members. Really like the course, is kept in great condition

I'm not a member there but any time I've played it it's in great order. I don't think there's too many times clubs go cap in hand to their members so drastically as that, but revenue must be severely down.
    Stay afloat or sink together would be my line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

— —

Would they not be competitions?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

looks more like they are running a draw everyday for member's

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Looks more like they are running a daily lucky dip for member's

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems they had a one off entry of €100 for an 8 week raffle.
    They are also charging €5 for all golf, the €25 seems to be a competition prize as there is no mention of a draw or raffle around that, though perhaps its just a draw based on people who played that day.

They also mention a trail of electronic scorecards.

Fermoy GC wrote:
    We are taking the exceptional step of charging members to play for all golf on the course. There was
    considerable debate about the fairness and necessity of this measure. We are taking this measure to make it
    more likely that the club will survive the extensive risks of this Covid 10 emergency. We are reluctantly
    introducing a temporary €5 per booking on the BRS for all casual golf. The necessity for this booking fee and
    the amount of this fee will remain under review as we progress through the summer. I am in no doubt that
    there will be a range of opinion on this measure and indeed on many other measures we have taken. Your
    opinions are valid and I encourage members to share their opinion through all committees & officers. We hope
    that members will understand that this exceptional booking fee is essential to the survival of our club as our
    society strives to survive this health emergency and economic recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

To hazard a guess it's to stop people booking and cancelling last minute, it seems to be happening loads in our club.

If I was playing 5 times a week I wouldn't be happy once I wouldn't really mind.

Sent them a message on Facebook earlier today. Let me know if you want screenshot or else please stop talking guff to me

EDIT: the reason I’m mouthing btw is because it’s fair for people to vent their opinion. I don’t particularly care about what you/anyone thinks about what I say, whereas clearly people in situations like this wouldn't want to ruffle feathers in their home club etc.
    Oh, I really, really would like to see this. :D

I especially like the notion that you've adopted of crusader on behalf of members of another golf club who you deem incapable of standing up for themselves on the basis of [checks thread] absolutely no evidence whatsoever. :D

Oh, I really, really would like to see this. :D

I especially like the notion that you've adopted of crusader on behalf of members of another golf club who you deem incapable of standing up for themselves on the basis of [checks thread] absolutely no evidence whatsoever. :D

Sorry - but you've said you'd like to see if I said anything about it to Fermoy...I did (before you said that)...and now you're taking the mick?

What can I say I'm a man of the people. This kinda stuff happens the whole time where people won't speak up for themselves..I don't need evidence.

Child's play going through this with you - Love the smileys though.

Sorry - but you've said you'd like to see if I said anything about it to Fermoy...I did (before you said that)...and now you're taking the mick?

What can I say I'm a man of the people. This kinda stuff happens the whole time where people won't speak up for themselves..I don't need evidence.

Child's play going through this with you - Love the smileys though.
    Thanks for the screen cap. Just a couple of points.

There's no need to call people names. Way OTT. You've also assumed that the club can't do this. Have you read their constitution? Do you know what consultation process they entered into with members? And what the outcome of that was? If I was a member there, I'd be pretty p1ssed off at some randomer from outside the club, appointing themselves as arbiter of what they can or can't do. Breathtaking arrogance imo.

And finally. Five clubs have closed their doors permanently due to the lockdown that I know of. And until the end of June, have no means to earn extra income from visitors and societies to make up the shortfall in lost income from over three months of closure. If Fermoy closed, the only other club within 20Km of Fermoy is Mitchelstown. I'm sure the members would appreciate having to drive that distance (if they even could due to restrictions) for the sake of a fiver every time they play. And of course the loss of their sub for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

mike12 wrote: »
    To hazard a guess it's to stop people booking and cancelling last minute, it seems to be happening loads in our club.

If I was playing 5 times a week I wouldn't be happy once I wouldn't really mind.

Probally happening in most places. 3 ball booked in fornt of us on Thurday evening did not show and one of them was the captain. BRS is fairly full most evenings as well. It would definitly make you turn up for your tee time if it was a deposit only.

Advertisement