Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19 Keeping lines open, community and support.

Options
  • 28-03-2020 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I just though since the resources thread is now closed, and some of the information seemed to be just a tad American, perhaps we could do with a thread where people can just chat, talk, listen and share advice and experiences.

The biggest issue I would suspect facing most of us over the days ahead is isolation. It’s not unique to the LGBT+ community, but the point of a community is that we can come together and talk, be it in a physical space in normal times or in a virtual space now. It doesn’t have to be specifically about LGBT+ issues but let’s just keep lines open and have somewhere to talk, to vent, to ask questions:

I’m working from home, adapting and adjusting to what is a rather surreal situation but, I won’t say it’s without stresses but I’m spending time outside even if it’s just in the garden reading a book, listening to music, doing a bit of writing and all that is helping.

I’ve phoned neighbours and even dropped notes in to introduce myself and given people my number in case I can be of help in an emergency like someone stuck for groceries or they need a chat and some of them have actually called back just to chat. I’ve already helped out with picking up shopping and and dropping it at doors and so on.

Apart from that I’m just trying my best to keep in touch with friends and relatives and making sure they know they can lift the phone or fire a message if they need to.

What I was hoping is we could have a thread that might just be somewhere to talk about the experience of this rather unprecedented time - share ideas and just be supportive of each other as a community of communities within the broader irish community.

So to get the ball rolling I’m just going to ask: How are you all getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Congratulations on doing something positive and offering to help others. This situation may go on for a very long time and even if people don't immediately take up the offer it's nice for them to know that there is someone nearby who can help.
    So, how are we getting on? Well, truthfully, it has made myself and the OH feel more vulnerable than we have ever felt.
    I wrote and deleted a much longer reply but it could be summed up by saying that being older at times like these is no fun and I have sleepless nights worrying about what might happen if one of us became really unwell with the virus.
    Keep safe everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I've some older relatives and neighbours myself, so I appreciate the sense of stress. Although, I guess this could impact any of us.

The only thing I could say is at least the country is holding together. We've pretty benign politics and a lot of stability compared to many of our peer countries and a hell of a lot of good community.

I'm thinking of it a bit like trying to put a firebreak into a forrest. If you consider the virus is incapable of surviving without a host, well at least not more than a few days anyway, if we keep potential hosts apart for a while, the exponential growth will stop.

It's not like a bacteria that can hang around in the environment. Once the hosts are not mingling it will have to burn out to some extend.

So, I guess in the absence of a technical solution like drugs and vaccines, this should work and is definitely worth putting up with for a while.

I guess though the biggest thing for me is that is uncertainty and the fact that so much is unknown and unknowable about this situation. It's totally unprecedented.

I'm trying to let it float on by, but it's very hard to do. That's why I opened the thread. I just thought we all need to vent and chat a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just a slightly related note.

The covid 19 thread for resources has been rejigged and changed around and is added to regularly

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement