Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

Well done to all above.

If you told me 12 months ago that I would one day be posting on a Non Drinkers group I would have laughed solidly for hours.

But 11 months ago I made a fool of myself at a lot of Christmas events which made me want to make some sort of a change in my life. The first was weight loss which went (very) well but calorie counting was being made complicated by drinking - so my first issue with my drinking lifestyle was formed.

Then 10 months ago a friend casually mentioned how they were sick of this mid 20s drinking lifestyle - it was the first time on a long time I had got to thinking about how there was 'more to life'.

9 months ago a different friend gave up drinking to much shock and disgust from friends. However i was supportive as he is my best friend and a seed was planted in my own head. I noticed my own anger at peoples attitudes to a girl in work who didn't drink - for some reason I was defending her whereas before I would have thought ahe was an absolute loser.

If it wasn't for an accidental sober night 8 months ago in which a friend lost the plot and almost died I wouldn't have first clicked on the Non Drinkers Group and read a few threads including one about Alan Carr's book.

Then just over 6 months ago I spent a week sick with all sorts of ailments after a wedding and found myself in the self help section of a book store (scared somebody would see me). I brought Alan Carr's book and was a little (very) skeptical at his proclamation that 'people never drank again after my method'. I opened up chapter 1 a little doubtful, but also a little hopeful and read it in the space of 2 days.

I have not drank since.

Apart from physically and mentally feeling better, drinking didn't magic away my problems - but it has made the weekends longer and put me in a position to make my own life much much better.

So thank you Alan Carr and thank you to my all my mess friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I have come to the conclusion that spending my weekends hungover and suffering sleeping issues during the week is no way to live.

I am excited and hopeful for the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

libnation wrote: »
    Well done to all above.

If you told me 12 months ago that I would one day be posting on a Non Drinkers group I would have laughed solidly for hours.

But 11 months ago I made a fool of myself at a lot of Christmas events which made me want to make some sort of a change in my life. The first was weight loss which went (very) well but calorie counting was being made complicated by drinking - so my first issue with my drinking lifestyle was formed.

Then 10 months ago a friend casually mentioned how they were sick of this mid 20s drinking lifestyle - it was the first time on a long time I had got to thinking about how there was 'more to life'.

9 months ago a different friend gave up drinking to much shock and disgust from friends. However i was supportive as he is my best friend and a seed was planted in my own head. I noticed my own anger at peoples attitudes to a girl in work who didn't drink - for some reason I was defending her whereas before I would have thought ahe was an absolute loser.

If it wasn't for an accidental sober night 8 months ago in which a friend lost the plot and almost died I wouldn't have first clicked on the Non Drinkers Group and read a few threads including one about Alan Carr's book.

Then just over 6 months ago I spent a week sick with all sorts of ailments after a wedding and found myself in the self help section of a book store (scared somebody would see me). I brought Alan Carr's book and was a little (very) skeptical at his proclamation that 'people never drank again after my method'. I opened up chapter 1 a little doubtful, but also a little hopeful and read it in the space of 2 days.

I have not drank since.

Apart from physically and mentally feeling better, drinking didn't magic away my problems - but it has made the weekends longer and put me in a position to make my own life much much better.

So thank you Alan Carr and thank you to my all my mess friends.

Well done lad keep it up...................................the alan carr book is great, if ever I am troubled i always take it out and have a read of particular pages to help me stay strong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Well done to all on this thread. I haven't touched a drop in 5 years and 10 1/2 months :) I hate to be cliche but if I can give up Alcohol then anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

59 days!

No Drink.
    No Smokes.
    Gym 4 times a week.
    Down 10 pounds.

Drink? Who needs it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

44 days

great work from all................long may it continue, Alcohol is truly an awful drug

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

11 months since I sobered up in a Garda station... today, I can't remember a single occasion that was improved by drinking.

11 months since I sobered up in a Garda station... today, I can't remember a single occasion that was improved by drinking.

fair play emma savage work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

6 years 10 months.
    Easiest way to stay off it? Work behind the bar :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

12 days for me! i'm not a everyday drinker but a have a serious problem with binge drinking, days on end then stop for a few weeks. The lows and depression after are too much for me to continue to drink! not to mention the cost and how my health suffers,

Alcohol has ruined my relationships, friendships and affected my job and how people see me! and to be honest i dont blame any of them! But now its time to rebuild what i have destroyed and change how people see me. Today i got allen carr's book and hope it helps the next time temptation comes my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

55 days. It hasn't been difficult so far as a lot of my friends here don't really drink that often. I am a little worried about going home to Ireland for Christmas. I know I'll be expected to partake and be judged negatively if I don't. My OH is coming with and I wonder what she'll make of the alcohol consumption she sees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tristram wrote: »
    55 days. It hasn't been difficult so far as a lot of my friends here don't really drink that often. I am a little worried about going home to Ireland for Christmas. I know I'll be expected to partake and be judged negatively if I don't. My OH is coming with and I wonder what she'll make of the alcohol consumption she sees.

Well done on your 55 days Tristram and yes it is difficult,sure if it be easy it be no fun :p, Christmas can be very hard as alcohol is everywhere and peer pressure can be immense,IMO deal with everyday as it comes along and if you like pre plan where you want to go and avoid some of the places where you know it will kick of into a drinking session,if that's possible, re your OH don't worry what she thinks about other peoples alcohol consumption after all its you she is interested in,So show her the hidden Ireland that doesn't revolve around a pub or alcohol,It is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

well done to all of ye, its inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

Ok, here is my plan. I am awake this morn after with a fuzzy head after drinking to much last night. Only 4 drinks but I have head fuzz and I dont like it. I drink during the week to and I want to cut that out.

Plan is No drink til 14 Dec, the day I get married, then I will have champers that day. Then after that off it. No more. I just don't want to drink anymore.

Im not lolling around the place drunk at any stage, just have some drinks during the week and weekends but I feel it's taking over and starting to get to much. So time to stop.

Just need to focus and battle through Xmas and the "sure have a glass if wine, go on, ya will"

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mct1

2 years and 1 month for me - best decision I ever made. I just wish I'd done it 20 years earlier instead of deluding myself I could cut down. I couldn't see the addiction for what it was until I'd been stopped a couple of months. Now I can see it in friends that I always thought of as "moderate drinkers" - is there is such a thing? A read of any newspaper confirms that alcohol is a treacherous, dangerous drug, all the worse for being socially accepted. One more vote here for Allen Carr - the man deserves a posthumous medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

4 days...I know it's not that long but this is one of my first Saturday mornings in twenty odd years waking up without a hangover. I'll tune back in to this forum in a few more days with hopefully some more good news. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

1 day - staff party, free booze.

Here's hoping I stay on the wagon for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 baileatha

Have not drank in 8 months - was drinking nightly and getting waisted nightly.

Recently started thinking about drinking again (time passed makes it seem like my drinking was not as bad as I once thought it to be) - maybe teetotal is a bit extreme and moderation is the answer etc etc. Should I go to AA to prevent drinking again or try drink in moderation? (one night a week for example). I worked hard to break the habit of drinking daily - am

AAdvice welcome.

27 days and going strong, even went to a social for a sports club im in and didnt drink or didnt want to hope i can keep going this well,

The Alan Carr book helps alot i find,

• Advertisement

baileatha wrote: »

Recently started thinking about drinking again (time passed makes it seem like my drinking was not as bad as I once thought it to be) - maybe teetotal is a bit extreme and moderation is the answer etc etc. Should I go to AA to prevent drinking again or try drink in moderation? (one night a week for example). I worked hard to break the habit of drinking daily - am

AAdvice welcome.

i think you should stick at it! you have done so well and moderation i think is a myth, keep focused on the life you have now and think how you felt when drinking!

I'm only at the start of the journey and take hope from people like you who have broke the habbit!

Best of luck

imurdaddy wrote: »
    i think you should stick at it! you have done so well and moderation i think is a myth, keep focused on the life you have now and think how you felt when drinking!

I'm only at the start of the journey and take hope from people like you who have broke the habbit!

Best of luck

Thanks a lot for your reply. It helped me.

Best of luck to you too.

baile atha wrote: »

Advice welcome.

Only you can call this and remember why you stopped in the first place, We all get nostalgic about our drinking lives and seem to remember all the good times, IMO controlled/moderation drinking seems to only work for those people who were never physically dependent on alcohol to begin with.I grew tired of the struggle to stop once I started so I am better off without alcohol. It is not my friend, it brings me no pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I spent 10 years trying to moderate and failing. I now know I was fooling myself and was just delaying the inevitable - the move to teetotaldom which, when it came, was totally liberating. But yes, it was a massive and difficult decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭disland

3 years almost to the day. tough time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

10 years ago today.

Life still presents challenges but it rarely stinks like it did then.

johnr1 wrote: »
    10 years ago today.

Life still presents challenges but it rarely stinks like it did then.

Great stuff John...well done on achieving 10 years sobriety!

Well done on the 10 years some acheivement.

14 months now myself 2nd Christmas coming up. Work party this Friday driving in so will be grand. Christmas dinner in the gran's with the rest of the family so will be quieter then it normally would be in my parent's place. Most years it was just a blackout from drinking all night xmas eve in the local with a few cans bought before to have afterwards, waking up on Christmas dreading having dinner but making that easier by tuking into a crate of most likely Bulmers through horrific heartburn with the da. I used to be in bed by about 6/7 tossing and turning until Stephen's day such a waste of a day. So much has changed since then I could write about it for pages but the most important thing is life is much much better for me without booze. The difference between this year and last year is I have fully accepted that is the case.

Its great to read the success stories of everyone here,It shows there is a life here in Ireland without it being based on alcohol and that there are many people out there who are non drinkers well done :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 xim2

Is been over a year of non being drunk... 95% non drinking only few slips ..-> not getting drunk but having few drinks.
    Overall I feel great and life is so much better is life changing. I know is hard but worth trying..

Advertisement