Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battle of the buoys -- Ireland 0, U.K. 0 (extra time)

• 05-10-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭

Ha ha, I made a funny ... my subject is the lack of weather buoys actually reporting wind out to the west of Ireland. Ireland and the U.K. each have one near Donegal Bay and those work -- but the two further out have issues.

The U.K. K3 buoy (at about 20 W) has been totally down for about three years now. I think it was blown over in the big windstorm in January 2007, and hasn't been replaced or repaired.

The M6 buoy (closer to 16 W) is still giving us temperatures, wave heights and wind direction, but no wind speeds. So my score is a bit misleading, it should say Ireland 2/3, U.K. 0.

It would be really helpful to have these two buoys reporting wind data again. The temperatures, while interesting, are never very surprising. I think the M6 buoy is always within 2-3 deg of the sea surface temperature unless there is a very strong east wind blowing cold air out to sea. The K3 buoy, from what I remember, was stuck at 15 C night and day all year long. Well it wasn't quite that bland, but ... bring back the wind data, perhaps a couple of million from the old AGW research budget could go over to operations at each of the national weather services, and they could charter a boat together and go out and fix them up (if the K3 buoy is still there, I presume it is, being a fairly massive item).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Good point MT, but you'll be happy to know the Irish Network is in the process of being upgraded, so things should improve. (That announcement is from 2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, now there's another one to fix, as of 15z Thursday, the K2 buoy (off Valentia a bit further out than M3) went from wind speeds in the 25 knot range to 1.9 knots where they are now stuck ... possibly a big wave smacked the sensor a bit too hard.

Advertisement