Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What controller should I buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

acman wrote: »
    This image should pretty much explain the answer to your question:

ADIO2DJ_setup2_m.png

ah ok, that clears it up. thanks!

It's an attractive little setup and the fact that each unit does it's own dedicated task there is less chance of failure/interruptions which my BCD3000 is very well known for!!

OK, sorry Zascar, it's all yours again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

zascar, you're gonna have to get stuck into the midi mapping yourself. it's really really easy. here's how you do it.

open up preferences. then open the midi mapping section. add whatever parameter you want. then click learn. slide the fader/turn the knob/push the button on your midi controller and it should assign itself.

baddabing baddaboom.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

jtsuited wrote: »
    zascar, you're gonna have to get stuck into the midi mapping yourself. it's really really easy. here's how you do it.

open up preferences. then open the midi mapping section. add whatever parameter you want. then click learn. slide the fader/turn the knob/push the button on your midi controller and it should assign itself.

baddabing baddaboom.

Thanks to this thread I have myself downloaded the Traktor demo. :)
    I'm impressed so far. The sound quality alone is so much better than Torq (I was using Torq LE for a while which has the same engine as the full Torq apparently).
    However, I am having a hard time with the mapping. Torq was great for that, just right click on the main screen function, move your controller and it's done. You didn't have to get into the nomenclature, which in Traktor is wrecking my head.
    Here's what I'm trying to find out: can you have a combination of a controller button and a keyboard key?
    So the "play" button on the controller would become filter on/ off for example with the shift key on the computer held down.
    If this is possible how do you set it up? Couldn't find it in the manual.

gsparx wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread I have myself downloaded the Traktor demo. :)
    I'm impressed so far. The sound quality alone is so much better than Torq (I was using Torq LE for a while which has the same engine as the full Torq apparently).
    However, I am having a hard time with the mapping. Torq was great for that, just right click on the main screen function, move your controller and it's done. You didn't have to get into the nomenclature, which in Traktor is wrecking my head.
    Here's what I'm trying to find out: can you have a combination of a controller button and a keyboard key?
    So the "play" button on the controller would become filter on/ off for example with the shift key on the computer held down.
    If this is possible how do you set it up? Couldn't find it in the manual.
    don't think it's possible to do that with any software or any hardware. however, if you're using a midi controller, just change the midi channel to dedicate 2nd functions. what midi controller are you using?

that's one of the handy things about most midi controllers- the fact you have 16 midi channels means you can have 16 separate functions for the one button/knob/fader.

gsparx wrote: »

it is a bit of a pain in the ass but just get stuck in and it's simple. i came from ableton regarding midi mapping so was in the same boat (ableton's midi learn function is much like torq's from the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

the uc33e is a grand midi controller, used it myself before i got a new external 4 channel mixer, just one thing though id hook the controller up using midi cables and power adapter rather then the usb port, ive had situations playing out were the controller refused to work or had usb drop outs, happened to a few people ive seen dj with them, not a regular accurance but it does happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been fcukign with this for ages and I'm getting absolutely nowhere.

Zascar wrote: »
    I've been fcukign with this for ages and I'm getting absolutely nowhere.

what exactly is the problem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm completely useless at this stuff...

I don't think its even recognising the midi...

I'm just going to wait and get someone to show you. It's all easy when you know how - and straight forward when you get shown the correct way to do it, but I'm just going in circles trying to figure it out...

don't think it's possible to do that with any software or any hardware. however, if you're using a midi controller, just change the midi channel to dedicate 2nd functions. what midi controller are you using?

that's one of the handy things about most midi controllers- the fact you have 16 midi channels means you can have 16 separate functions for the one button/knob/fader.

This from the Traktor 3 manual:

MIDI and Hotkey Pages have one major purpose: Allowing you to implement
    any key as modifier between two functionalities for a knob or button.
    You could for example assign Coarse crossfader sensitivity to a MIDI knob
    and switch to Fine sensitivity when you additionally press the key F on our
    keyboard.

I found this while looking for info on my question. Torq also has this functionality. Could they have taken this feature out for Traktor Pro?
    Seems odd.
    I'm using the M-Audio X-Session Pro as a controller and an external mixer. The X-Session is basically a mixer for Torq LE. It has a few knobs but bugger all buttons.

• Advertisement

did you get the drivers zascar??

oh the benefits of mac! (on macs EVERYTHING you plug in works automatically - printers, soundcards, midi stuff, everything ....well almost everything).

I did the 'Find these drivers automatically' and it did so and said ' your hardware is installed correctly and now ready to use'. But I found proper drivers just now so i'll give them a whirl too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

are you using the demo version?
    Often software demos are save disabled and the midi mapping can be
    turned off. maybe find a "flexible version" of traktor 3 and see if
    it will play ball with ya.

i'm using the traktor demo at the moment and all my midi mappings are being saved and stored.

OK I've been playing with it a little this morning and I'm sure the install of the uc33 is the problem.

I have watched the youtube tutorials on Midi Mapping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjJsi2nPJ0 - looks pretty simple but I cannot get it to work.

When Traktor is open, I thought that when I move any of the sliders etc, the little Icon for MIDI in the top of the window should light up to show a MIDI signal being received, but it does not.

I used the drivers from the M-Audio site: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=751 - and it says it installed properly - however when I go into my 'Davice Manager' in Control Panel, there is a yellow "!" on Other Devices / Multimedia Audio Controller. Tried a few different things but still the same

Any ideas what i should do to fix this?
    Thanks

Right, I just transferred everything over and gave it a go installing etc on my other laptop. It worked fine and I have stared mapping.

Dam windows! Jeff you might be right on the whole Mac thing there, can solve a lot of problems

Might have to do a dam reinstall on my pc now.

told you it was simple!!

I'm rubbish with windows stuff so can't help you out there. Unfortunately, there's a billion and one reasons it's not working.

Well I have Traktor working grand on my pc, having fun here mixing with a mouse and just getting used to it, trying a few tricks etc. Will defo do a full reinstall so I can start afresh without problems and then start mapping the uc33 and see how it works. I should get my Audio2 DJ next week and will prob order the vestax soon too - get both of them working and I'll be happy as a DJ in ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

in the device manager, right click on the device, choose update driver,
    click no not this time,
    click install from a list or specific location
    click dont search, i will choose the driver to install,
    a list of drivers will appear, select the m-audio driver,
    you'll be warned that its not digitally signed, click continue,
    you'll probably be warned again, but keep going, the uc33 should appear as a uc33 in the device manager when you're done.

then in traktor you'll have to activate the midi input in the preferences and settings menu.
    now the midi light should light when you slide or tweek

Quiggers wrote: »
    in the device manager, right click on the device, choose update driver,
    click no not this time,
    click install from a list or specific location
    click dont search, i will choose the driver to install,
    a list of drivers will appear, select the m-audio driver,
    you'll be warned that its not digitally signed, click continue,
    you'll probably be warned again, but keep going, the uc33 should appear as a uc33 in the device manager when you're done.

then in traktor you'll have to activate the midi input in the preferences and settings menu.
    now the midi light should light when you slide or tweek
    Thanks man. I tried that but I get to this screen and can't find the right Driver. devices.jpg

I looked in loads of the categories I thought it could be in, but none seem to be the right one.
    If I click Show All Devices there is still no M-Audio there either.

Is there a way to extract the driver into a folder so I can do the 'Have Disk thing? Any other suggestions of ways around it?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

I wonder [at this point] are the vinyl purists and the CDJ fans having a little snigger. The problem with midi controllers is that we add a new layer (at least one) of dependency into the mix (pardon the pun).
    And when it comes to depending on a Windows based solution I get a little scared :) (especially if doing live performances in a club).

I suppose that's why the big guns stick to macs eh? It doesn't bother me, if my software freezes up or the midi controller stops sending signals I just re-start the device, whatever dust mites are in the room with me won't mind too much!

jaysus the thought of ever using a windows machine in a club gives me shivers.

probably a bad thing to say but.... i've only ever seen a computer crash twice in a club and both times they weren't macs (which is rare - as in it's rare to see someone using a windows machine in clubs).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jaysus the thought of ever using a windows machine in a club gives me shivers.

probably a bad thing to say but.... i've only ever seen a computer crash twice in a club and both times they weren't macs (which is rare - as in it's rare to see someone using a windows machine in clubs).

From what I've heard 7 is stable enough, I'd be comfortable using that if I ever got to that level. The trick is to kill the fluff. There is no need for networking, anti-virus, indexing or defragging tools to be running. The less there is going the more available to your app and the less there is to f#ck up.

Hahaha, yes, vinyl and CDJ fans may snigger :pac:, however realistically no one is 100% immune to problems at the end of the day. I was at a gig a few weeks ago where they had problems with a CDJ where the pitch was drifting and the DJ's were really struggling, few mixes went wobbly - so it does happen - vinyl has its weaknesses too!

Yes I'd have to agree with all points made above really. Macs are probably a much smarter choice - and I would generally advise someone to go get a mac if they are starting out, but I've been a big PC man for too long and any time I've used Macs I don't particularly like them. However, for Djing all you have to do is have a basic version of windows installed with nothing on there, and you'll be fairly safe. It used to be the case years ago that it was the software that crashed and caused problems - nowadays DJ software is lot more reliable - any crashes are usually caused by an unstable computer.

I'm having these problems cause this is my home desktop PC and is jam packed full with random crap - my start menu is pages long with different types of software, including many different types of audio software and drivers from different setups etc. What actually surprises me is that Traktor works fine and its the uc33 that won't install.

I usually format and reinstall every 6 months or so but its been over a year so definitely time for a refresh in time for all my new gear I recokon.

Hahaha, yes, vinyl and CDJ fans may snigger :pac:, however realistically no one is 100% immune to problems at the end of the day. I was at a gig a few weeks ago where they had problems with a CDJ where the pitch was drifting and the DJ's were really struggling, few mixes went wobbly - so it does happen - vinyl has its weaknesses too!

don't get me wrong, I'm all for the laptop & midi controller solution.

Course not mate - I'm usually just honest to admit the digital route has its weaknesses - as does anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

vinyl has its weaknesses too!
    Post reported

LOL!
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Funny how most of these "technical setup" threads end up in a Mac VS Windows debate. :D

Bottom line is that if you use Windows for live performances, you are skating on thin ice, no matter how clean your system is. God help you if you system crashes and your employer finds out you are using Windows!

For those of you wanting to move over to MAC but haven't cos it's just "not for me"...have you honestly tried using a Mac for more than 10 mins? You really do need to give it some time before giving up on it...trust me, it's worth a week's learning curve!

• Advertisement

yeah while i normally say that for production stuff it's a personal preference, I would not fcukin dream of recommending a windows machine for live performance.

Advertisement