Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'Old' V's 'New' no holds barred debate/arguement thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jtsuited wrote: »
    Yes, much better.

And you're someone with an inferiority complex who likes spouting inaccuracies about people you clearly feel intellectually intimidated by.

Is that ok?

lol sure.

Why would I feel intellectually intimated by you?

Anyone who's studied and done an MA in any subject I would hope would have far more knowledge on a topic than I the same way I would have far more knowledge in my field of expertise than you, does that mean you should feel intellectually intimidated by me?

don't talk nonsense and it's statements like that which make you a wanker, just look back over the thread on funky house and how you disrespect johnny's opinion etc you have no respect for people you talk through your brown star constantly

seriously give a guy an hour in the pod :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ntlbell wrote: »

don't talk nonsense and it's statements like that which make you a wanker, just look back over the thread on funky house and how you disrespect johnny's opinion etc you have no respect for people you talk through your brown star constantly

seriously give a guy an hour in the pod :rolleyes:

disrespecting johnny's opinion seems obligatory with the crap he comes out with. I am not the only person on this board who does it on a regular basis (far from it).

as far as your 'seriously give a guy an hour in the pod' statement -
    this is just simply an indication of the chip on your shoulder. and fyi, I'll be playing there for 2 hours next saturday when I'm headlining. You should come along.

If you are trying to take a dig at my career in general, I suggest you maybe research further.

l
    maybe you should read the bit in the thread where someone challenged me on what I meant by certain phrases? And then maybe the thread that I started in which I illustrated my point about said phrases.

No, you were very quiet during that, weren't you?

Oh and a bit of advice, resorting to name-calling doesn't really do much for any point of view you have.

disrespecting johnny's opinion seems obligatory with the crap he comes out with. I am not the only person on this board who does it on a regular basis (far from it).

as far as your 'seriously give a guy an hour in the pod' statement -
    this is just simply an indication of the chip on your shoulder. and fyi, I'll be playing there for 2 hours next saturday when I'm headlining. You should come along.

If you are trying to take a dig at my career in general, I suggest you maybe research further.

So because someone else does that's ok for you to? nice logic.

Why would I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not a DJ, I'm not a producer, I'm not involved in music in anyway other than for my own personal enjoyment I have no inclination to get involved in any self indulgent nonsense, again you show you truly are a class A moron.

I never made any digs at your "career" if you were playing about 15 years ago I might know a bit more about you but unfortunately my days of going to the pod are long and truly over

classy guy.

maybe you should read the bit in the thread where someone challenged me on what I meant by certain phrases? And then maybe the thread that I started in which I illustrated my point about said phrases.

No, you were very quiet during that, weren't you?

Oh and a bit of advice, resorting to name-calling doesn't really do much for any point of view you have.

I didn't see any thread where you illustrated your point.

But to be frank I had heard enough in the previous one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Robclarke70

Hiya, newbie here, been reading here for a while but feel compelled to post after reading this!

New Skool vs Old Skool, there simply is no comparison,here is my view.

I was in Ibiza last summer for the first time since 1998, changed so much, still lovely but the general lack of atmosphere in clubs and outrageous prices means i doubt ill be back anytime soon!

We went to DC10 as we had heard good reports about it but sorry i did now,a shocking waste of money.

This place itself does have a raw feel to it and once inside i did get excited at the prospect of it being a really good night i didn't know any of the DJ 's on the bill but it looked a good prospect,however i left after 3 hours feeling dejected and robbed of the entrance fee,the crowd appears to be exclusively over tanned Italians with some Spanish and a smattering of other Nationalities present, almost everyone is wearing sunglasses despite the daylight hours having almost passed,the place was packed and the general atmosphere was not good, i didn't pick up any positive or good vibes from anyone,people had a tendency to stare and smirk which i didn't like, the music was the main killer though, it's called minimal techno and it consists of one beat with a bleep type sound that appears to go on for several mins, the music then shuffles a bit and goes back to the one beat, this appears to be a constant thing and goes on and on and on and on relentlessly, there was no vocals and no pianos it's just the same repetitive beat almost tune after tune, there are a lot of drugs being consumed but little or no ecstasy by the looks of it, the drug of choice for these over tanned muscle type poseurs is Ketamine which in case you don't know is a Tranquilizer for putting Horses to sleep, some are taking cocaine but K as it's known is the drug of choice for these people and some are quite literally rolling around the floor in what is called a "k Hole" and it is quite disturbing to look at,others are just nodding their head to the repetitive beat of the song the DJ is playing and this goes on and on throughout,it was truly dreadful to be perfectly honest, if this is what they call dance music today i want no part of it, it's soulless music with no substance and is truly awful, you cannot compare old skool Rave to something like this,it is a no brainer, the Rave scene was innovative, fresh, and exciting, and most importantly the music was very uplifting, and atmosphere @ Raves and in clubs was always amazing, you could talk to and even hug random strangers and they would be your best friend for a few hours anyway, in fact some of my best friends to this day are people i met back in the carefree days of 1989 when i lived in England and got into the scene, if you attempted to do anything like that these days especially hug someone you would most likely end up getting a kicking or worse.

Dance music still has a place today and im glad there are still kids getting into it, but this minimal techno or whatever name they have for it is soulless music and atmosphere at these events is non existent, forgive me if im wrong but isn't going to a club about there being a really good atmosphere with friendly like minded people,something that is very much missing from a lot of todays events, the drugs have changed, the Rave scene was all about Ecstasy, now people just seem to want to get as ****ed up as possible on drugs like K, a drug that is for putting Horses to sleep,im sorry but where is the fun in that, everyone has being muntered at some stage or another in their lives but it was rank looking at these people in that club rolling around the floor with their eyes rolling in the back of their heads while others just stood there and just nodded their head in unison to this constant relentless beat that barely changed at all, asides from a few loops here and there and the occasional shuffle in music it basically sounds the same tune after tune after tune!

Give me a small sweaty underground club any day playing jacking Chicago House to a crowd who are friendly and approachable (and not on Ketamine)for anyone to try and compare this scene today to the scene in the 80's and 90's is ludricious and comical to say the least, i hope dance music in general goes full circle and reverts back to more uplifting music in general, there are places like this that can be found but are not mainstream.

Over and out.

So because someone else does that's ok for you to? nice logic.
    eh no, my point was that given the amount of crap johnny comes out with, more than a few people disrespect his opinion on here. don't really see why you're singling me out
    Why would I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not a DJ, I'm not a producer, I'm not involved in music in anyway other than for my own personal enjoyment I have no inclination to get involved in any self indulgent nonsense
    and yet you still get involved with internets name calling?

I never made any digs at your "career"
    explain your 'give an hour in the pod' comment then.

and again, apart from name-calling, do you actually have anything useful or interesting to say?

I didn't see any thread where you illustrated your point.

But to be frank I had heard enough in the previous one.
    Oh and God forbid you might actually realise that someone knows what they're talking about.

Hiya, newbie here, been reading here for a while but feel compelled to post after reading this!

New Skool vs Old Skool, there simply is no comparison,here is my view.

I was in Ibiza last summer for the first time since 1998, changed so much, still lovely but the general lack of atmosphere in clubs and outrageous prices means i doubt ill be back anytime soon!

We went to DC10 as we had heard good reports about it but sorry i did now,a shocking waste of money.

This place itself does have a raw feel to it and once inside i did get excited at the prospect of it being a really good night i didn't know any of the DJ 's on the bill but it looked a good prospect,however i left after 3 hours feeling dejected and robbed of the entrance fee,the crowd appears to be exclusively over tanned Italians with some Spanish and a smattering of other Nationalities present, almost everyone is wearing sunglasses despite the daylight hours having almost passed,the place was packed and the general atmosphere was not good, i didn't pick up any positive or good vibes from anyone,people had a tendency to stare and smirk which i didn't like, the music was the main killer though, it's called minimal techno and it consists of one beat with a bleep type sound that appears to go on for several mins, the music then shuffles a bit and goes back to the one beat, this appears to be a constant thing and goes on and on and on and on relentlessly, there was no vocals and no pianos it's just the same repetitive beat almost tune after tune, there are a lot of drugs being consumed but little or no ecstasy by the looks of it, the drug of choice for these over tanned muscle type poseurs is Ketamine which in case you don't know is a Tranquilizer for putting Horses to sleep, some are taking cocaine but K as it's known is the drug of choice for these people and some are quite literally rolling around the floor in what is called a "k Hole" and it is quite disturbing to look at,others are just nodding their head to the repetitive beat of the song the DJ is playing and this goes on and on throughout,it was truly dreadful to be perfectly honest, if this is what they call dance music today i want no part of it, it's soulless music with no substance and is truly awful, you cannot compare old skool Rave to something like this,it is a no brainer, the Rave scene was innovative, fresh, and exciting, and most importantly the music was very uplifting, and atmosphere @ Raves and in clubs was always amazing, you could talk to and even hug random strangers and they would be your best friend for a few hours anyway, in fact some of my best friends to this day are people i met back in the carefree days of 1989 when i lived in England and got into the scene, if you attempted to do anything like that these days especially hug someone you would most likely end up getting a kicking or worse.

Dance music still has a place today and im glad there are still kids getting into it, but this minimal techno or whatever name they have for it is soulless music and atmosphere at these events is non existent, forgive me if im wrong but isn't gong to a club about there being a really good atmosphere with friendly like minded people,something that is very much missing from a lot of todays events, the drugs have changed, the Rave scene was all about Ecstasy, now people just seem to want to get as ****ed up as possible on drugs like K, a drug that is for putting Horses to sleep,im sorry but where is the fun in that, everyone has being muntered at some stage or another in their lives but it was rank looking at these people in that club rolling around the floor with their eyes rolling in the back of their while others just stood there and just nodded their head in unison to this constant relentless beat that barely changed at all, asides from a few loops here and there and the occasional shuffle in music it basically sounds the same tune after tune after tune!

Give me a small sweaty underground club any day playing jacking Chicago House to a crowd who are friendly and approachable (and not on Ketamine)for anyone to try and compare this scene today to the scene in the 80's and 90's is ludricious and comical to say the least, i hope dance music in general goes full circle and reverts back to more uplifting music in general, there are places like this that can be found but are not mainstream.

Over and out.

you do realise that reads like an older person saying 'i remember the days of the showbands, and the songs were lovely, and everyone was nice...nowadays it's all noise etc.'

eh no, my point was that given the amount of crap johnny comes out with, more than a few people disrespect his opinion on here. don't really see why you're singling me out

I don't recall anyone else doing it, there well could be, you stood out I don't know why maybe it was your self righteous and condescending attitude which you continue to display here?
    jt wrote:
    explain your 'give an hour in the pod' comment then.

and again, apart from name-calling, do you actually have anything useful or interesting to say?

You used your public DJing as a reason your arguments should hold more weight which is utter nonsense.

If that's all it took DJ wicked could come on here and we'd all have nothing to say.

• Advertisement

Oh and God forbid you might actually realise that someone knows what they're talking about.

Sometimes people show themselves to be too much of ignorant retard for me to consider the above.

You had gone well past that stage there was no return.

Sorry I missed the lecture.

you do realise that reads like an older person saying 'i remember the days of the showbands, and the songs were lovely, and everyone was nice...nowadays it's all noise etc.'

well thank you for your thought provoking reply jtsuited, if that is the best you muster up then that is ok, i just gave my thoughts on the subject in hand, if you cant accept that then fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

In fairness intellect shouldn't come into it. I'm sure I wouldn't match JTsuited in a debate on Anthropology or Sociology, but as NTLbell said, JT wouldn't be an expert on subjects that I would have a good knowledge of.

Just to say, this is not a dig at JTsuited, just that people's opinions and musical taste should not be lashed out of because they are not highly educated. It is music snobbery at its finest.

I don't recall anyone else doing it, there well could be, you stood out I don't know why maybe it was your self righteous and condescending attitude which you continue to display here?

You used your public DJing as a reason your arguments should hold more weight which is utter nonsense.

If that's all it took DJ wicked could come on here and we'd all have nothing to say.

first of all, I haven't technically dj'd in public. I play live. Really, you should get your facts straight.

And if you don't recall anyone else getting into argy bargy with johnny, I suggest you look at his and Sean Nash's hilarious bust-ups.

But hey, if you find me condescending and self-righteous maybe a few more insults will bring me down a peg or two.

well thank you for your thought provoking reply jtsuited, if that is the best you muster up then that is ok, i just gave my thoughts on the subject in hand, if you cant accept that then fine.

I think many people feel like your original post, JT is just pissed off he's too young and he missed all the fun...

Sometimes people show themselves to be too much of ignorant retard for me to consider the above.

You had gone well past that stage there was no return.

Sorry I missed the lecture.
    ignorant retard? lovely

honestly, you going to just keep going with the name calling or gonna come up with something a bit more substantial?

I think many people feel like your original post, JT is just pissed off he's too young and he missed all the fun...

yes I'd love to be in my thirties now.

first of all, I haven't technically dj'd in public. I play live. Really, you should get your facts straight.

And if you don't recall anyone else getting into argy bargy with johnny, I suggest you look at his and Sean Nash's hilarious bust-ups.

But hey, if you find me condescending and self-righteous maybe a few more insults will bring me down a peg or two.

sorry playing in public as i said i have NO clue who you are or what you play, another reason it would be impossible for me to have a chip on my shoulder about your "career"

Crikey there appears to be a lot of squabbling on here,if this is what the dance scene has come to here i want no part of it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Jesus ntlbell you are really coming accross like a complete arse in this thread. You just attacked Jtsuited for no reason at all. He is as entitled to his opinion as you are and I certainly have never felt that he brags or thinks his opinion is more important than others.

• Advertisement

Crikey there appears to be a lot of squabbling on here,if this is what the dance scene has come to here i want no part of it:confused:

nah it's just this site really, which was traditionally more of an old-skool focused place.
    Then a few other people came along and got tired of their constant annoyance at anything new and their constant harping on about 'back in the day'.

Eventually after an unbelievable amount of messing, a few bans (i got one), and a few other people getting involved this thread was set up as a sort of self containment area.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Feckin hell, the gloves are off in this here thread!

I reckon a good old punch-up would sort this - oldskoolers vs new skool, 8pm Stephens Green - or maybe somewhere a bit less public? Suggestions for a venue welcomed... No weapons.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Feckin hell, the gloves are off in this here thread!

I reckon a good old punch-up would sort this - oldskoolers vs new skool, 8pm Stephens Green - or maybe somewhere a bit less public? Suggestions for a venue welcomed... No weapons.

The Asylum ?

The Asylum ?

i'm not going to the northside.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The Asylum ?

Yeah good idea.. break down the front door and start throwing digs. Although the aul stamina isn't what it used to be, don't know how I'd fair these days!

Anyway, all of yiz shut the fck up or I'll take yiz all on - or as a bloke once threatened me around Clontarf when I was about 13 "Ya want scars on your face, do ye?" Needless to say I parted with my £1 or so in change and opted not to receive said scars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Jesus ntlbell you are really coming accross like a complete arse in this thread. You just attacked Jtsuited for no reason at all. He is as entitled to his opinion as you are and I certainly have never felt that he brags or thinks his opinion is more important than others.

I have to say, sometimes JT does look down his nose at people and rubbishes their opinions because they might not be as smart as him. Maybe he has just rubbed NTL up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I have to say, sometimes JT does look down his nose at people and rubbishes their opinions because they might not be as smart as him. Maybe he has just rubbed NTL up the wrong way.
    ive never found that.its called honesty.some people dont like it but he doesnt ever post false information.
    ntbell is coming across as a muppet in this.your backtracking alot.you made a reference to his gigs at the pod and then claim you werent alluding to anything about his djing career.it is jealousy and i think everyone can see it.
    all you have done is throw insults.
    the thread aboout funky house where jtsuited expressed his opinion he backed it up with a very interesting thread about intelligent dance music.myself and a few others were very interested in it and found it pretty insightful.
    he only seems to show his intelligence when someone questions his reasoning,he tells them where he got his info and how it backs up his statement.

seannash wrote: »
    ive never found that.its called honesty.some people dont like it but he doesnt ever post false information.
    ntbell is coming across as a muppet in this.your backtracking alot.you made a reference to his gigs at the pod and then claim you werent alluding to anything about his djing career.it is jealousy and i think everyone can see it.
    all you have done is throw insults.
    the thread aboout funky house where jtsuited expressed his opinion he backed it up with a very interesting thread about intelligent dance music.myself and a few others were very interested in it and found it pretty insightful.
    he only seems to show his intelligence when someone questions his reasoning,he tells them where he got his info and how it backs up his statement.

wtf

how am i back tracking? i never had a dig at his career i didn't even know he had one but there you go and apparently he doesn't have a djing career so what exactly am I suppose to be jealous of his MA in computer music? why would i be jealous of that? I have no interest in making music?

baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wtf

how am i back tracking? i never had a dig at his career i didn't even know he had one but there you go and apparently he doesn't have a djing career so what exactly am I suppose to be jealous of his MA in computer music? why would i be jealous of that? I have no interest in making music?

baffling.
    didnt know he had one,but you clearly state"give him an hour in the pod eh"
    yeah you were totally oblivious to his career.you just made a guess that at some stage he played the pod.
    id suggest you just stop typing now and go sit in a comfy chair.that chip must be getting pretty heavy at this stage

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    didnt know he had one,but you clearly state"give him an hour in the pod eh"
    yeah you were totally oblivious to his career.you just made a guess that at some stage he played the pod.
    id suggest you just stop typing now and go sit in a comfy chair.that chip must be getting pretty heavy at this stage

I knew he had done some form of gig at some point.

I assumed he was a DJ it turns out he's not.

I wasn't aware he did any other gigs besides that one.

I don't consider one night in the pod a career.

does this not prove how little i knew about him?

again there is some excellent world class dj's on boards would i not be jealous of these to? you know, the one's that actually have been doing it for a living for years?

Is there anymore ridiculous points you would like to make or would you like to shove your finger up jt's assho|e a little more..

Advertisement