Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Feedback] Suggestions on how to improve the forum

• 26-07-2013 12:27am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, if you think we could do things better, please post your thoughts here.

Boards.ie posting rules apply.

In addition, this is not a thread to discuss individual mod actions or infractions / bans, the DRP forum is there for that.

That said, please post your ideas on how we can make boards.ie/Airsoft better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

By not letting Adverts.ie take over? Not sure what the story is. Last I saw was AEG's being discussed about, that was it..... Now the thread is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

By not letting Adverts.ie take over? Not sure what the story is. Last I saw was AEG's being discussed about, that was it..... Now the thread is gone.

There setting up a dedicated airsoft section on adverts for everything airsoft related sales with the exception of airsoft guns which remained banned from adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

Gatling wrote: »
    There setting up a dedicated airsoft section on adverts for everything airsoft related sales with the exception of airsoft guns which remained banned from adverts

Suppose that's reasonable enough, even though I won't be ever going on Adverts.ie anytime soon! :pac:

Suppose that's reasonable enough, even though I won't be ever going on Adverts.ie anytime soon! :pac:

Placed an ad for a camera a few years back other than that never use the place ,

Actually can we have some housekeeping on old stickies
    We've several over 5 + years that are clearly out of date ,

Maybe a new tech Q&A for beginners from some of the regular gun techs ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I suggested something similar, like a tech sticky thing with an instructional video/video link.

I think SEALs did an unstickied type deal, but the likes of basic aeg and pistol maintenance, how to change a hop-up rubber/barrel, nothing overly complicated but I am sure mods with technical expertise can unanimously pick an instructional video from youtube that covers the fundamentals.

Oh and sticky stigmaus, airsoft video thing in the review section with the equipment and loadout threads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Last I saw was AEG's being discussed about, that was it..... Now the thread is gone.
    It's not gone, I just un-stickied it and it fell off the front page. The feedback there was for the benefit of the adverts.ie lads and they appreciated it and took opinions on board, however they're on a schedule so there was no point leaving it there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Actually can we have some housekeeping on old stickies
    We've several over 5 + years that are clearly out of date ,

Maybe a new tech Q&A for beginners from some of the regular gun techs ,
    I like this. If people can post specifics on what's out of date and what would be better then I'm sure we can fix that :)

Adverts now this is silly but getting fed up of these
    "MASSIVE CLEAROUTS " "SUPER CLEAROUTS" and so on only to find these threads have basicly a few spare parts for sale that get bumped to death or offers of trades despite sellers clearly stating trades not accepted
    Not sure if anything can be done for the above but I tried at least

( me getting grumpy me need airsoft)

• Advertisement

Adverts now this is silly but getting fed up of these
    "MASSIVE CLEAROUTS " "SUPER CLEAROUTS" and so on only to find these threads have basicly a few spare parts for sale that get bumped to death or offers of trades despite sellers clearly stating trades not accepted
    Not sure if anything can be done for the above but I tried at least

( me getting grumpy me need airsoft)
    Off topic for here, there's a dedicated feedback thread on the adverts forum where you can bring this up (not being pedantic, it's just that a lot of the adverts forum users won't read this thread so it's best discussed there). :)

Sorry Steve honestly didn't even realise the thread was on adverts please feel free to remove my last post on here ,
    Reposted in adverts

First off cheers to mods for following through on suggestions and all that, my own thoughts on the sub forum merging would be leave the technical on its own and merge questions and reviews as "gear talk".

Even with the tags you are going to get a lot of clutter so to speak having merged 3. Technical on its own is more beneficial because generally it involves fault finding and solutions not so much a discussion on what is in this season. It would push posts further and further back not leaving them to further discussion because they are forgotten about.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

First off cheers to mods for following through on suggestions and all that, my own thoughts on the sub forum merging would be leave the technical on its own and merge questions and reviews as "gear talk".

Even with the tags you are going to get a lot of clutter so to speak having merged 3. Technical on its own is more beneficial because generally it involves fault finding and solutions not so much a discussion on what is in this season. It would push posts further and further back not leaving them to further discussion because they are forgotten about.

Just my two cents.

+1 for thanks and on keeping Tech separate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Even with the tags you are going to get a lot of clutter so to speak having merged 3. Technical on its own is more beneficial because generally it involves fault finding and solutions not so much a discussion on what is in this season.

in an ideal world the tech section would only have tech questions threads. however, if you look through even the first page of threads on the tech sub forum, you will see that approx half the threads are not "strictly" of a technical nature. tech questions get asked in the questions forum and vice versa, and as for the first page of the reveiw subforum if you look at it its mostly threads that really should be in questions. this is why we were looking at merging these 3.

as with any forum, a question thread is started it gets answered, there is a bit of discussion, once everything is said that posters feel is relevent it kind of dies off. when this happens with the new system we hope to put in place it will be easier to find threads with the tags, once you open the gear talk forum you will be able to select the tag "technical question" (for example) in the filters box click "show threads" and they will all appear,(like in the airsoft adverts subforum) making it easier to find threads and keep track of them.

all feedback is appreciated so thanks for the replies.

thermo wrote: »
    in an ideal world the tech section would only have tech questions threads. however, if you look through even the first page of threads on the tech sub forum, you will see that approx half the threads are not "strictly" of a technical nature. tech questions get asked in the questions forum and vice versa, and as for the first page of the reveiw subforum if you look at it its mostly threads that really should be in questions. this is why we were looking at merging these 3.

as with any forum, a question thread is started it gets answered, there is a bit of discussion, once everything is said that posters feel is relevent it kind of dies off. when this happens with the new system we hope to put in place it will be easier to find threads with the tags, once you open the gear talk forum you will be able to select the tag "technical question" (for example) in the filters box click "show threads" and they will all appear,(like in the airsoft adverts subforum) making it easier to find threads and keep track of them.

all feedback is appreciated so thanks for the replies.

Ahhh I get ya, sorry I didn't know there was a filter function coming with this, that is handy have to say.

What about the stickied threads though?, will all of these not take up the whole of the first page having all 3 combined?.

Some stickies are outdated, these will be unstickied and allowed to disappear. Some will be merged where there may be similar threads with good information in both and the possibility of some being moved to the main page. Its still a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

thermo wrote: »
    Some stickies are outdated, these will be unstickied and allowed to disappear. Some will be merged where there may be similar threads with good information in both and the possibility of some being moved to the main page. Its still a work in progress.

will you be leaving certain 'tech guide' and how to guides stickied in the new forum? Say for example the M9 disassembly guide and any other guides which have been stickied in the past. Will they remain in the new revamp? Personally I don't need these guides anymore but I know they were a great help to me when i first starting taking apart AEG's and GBB :)

We're still looking at what to do about stickies. HQ have a request out to all forums to reduce the number of them as it makes the mobile sites work and look better.

One possibility is we put a single sticky in each sub-forum with the charter and links to important / useful threads in it.

As thermo said, it's still a work in progress.

T4RGET wrote: »
    will you be leaving certain 'tech guide' and how to guides stickied in the new forum? Say for example the M9 disassembly guide and any other guides which have been stickied in the past. Will they remain in the new revamp? Personally I don't need these guides anymore but I know they were a great help to me when i first starting taking apart AEG's and GBB :)

In the tech section atm there is a thread with guides and tutorials for a variety of guns that will be left alone, however it would be unfeasable to have a seperate thread for every gun, or even the 10 most common aeg's, gbb's and gbbr's. as such there will be video links posted ( once suitable ones are found) in the diy thread to replace any current seperate threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Will the revamp happen on the mobile website also eg. the filters?
    Would it be possible to sticky or include in your techy sticky a link to bullets thread on m4 disassembly as when I first started this was invaluable to me and alot of questions asked these days are all mentioned in that thread.
    Happy to hear ye might go ahead with the thread title as mentioned but stop me if I go to far, but do you know as we have in Adverts they are colour coded would it be possible to get some different shades in as once a question is answered it can be coloured so people know to save it being bumped up over and over

There will be no stickies dedicated to a single weapon platform, we can However include a link in the diy thread. We hope that the changes will come into effect across the board but we will have info once we talk to the admins again.
    Are you looking for different shades of the tag colour to show the question has been answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Even a link helps, it's a good thread for it
    The shades thing maybe wrong or ott but if we had say red for an Airsoft question as it maybe a hot topic but once it's answered we report it to a mod to retag as blue writing but still Airsoft question so when people search for something they can find a thread that has a similar topic with an answer save it floating around similar idea for technical just differernt colours/shades
    Should hopefully stop similar threads popping up

And in answering these questions could we also link people to sites and retailers? I know you said they can now do it just to clarify for us a they may not be on 24/7 and I know we may already link to foreign sites but just to promote at home

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Even a link helps, it's a good thread for it
    The shades thing maybe wrong or ott but if we had say red for an Airsoft question as it maybe a hot topic but once it's answered we report it to a mod to retag as blue writing but still Airsoft question so when people search for something they can find a thread that has a similar topic with an answer save it floating around similar idea for technical just differernt colours/shades
    Should hopefully stop similar threads popping up

And in answering these questions could we also link people to sites and retailers? I know you said they can now do it just to clarify for us a they may not be on 24/7 and I know we may already link to foreign sites but just to promote at home

i seriously doubt we can do the various shades of tag colour thing, its a bit ott to be honest and will do more harm than good.

you may link to any retailer within reason...........

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Raven_SK

I was just looking at the Airsoft Adverts and in most of the ads people are asking for a Location would it not be better to make this mandatory to put an add in

Advertisement