Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hard to get a Tee Time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't worry too much lads, the rain coming in the next week will see the timesheets free up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

ozzy78 wrote: »
    Yes, anything over 3.5 hours is too long. I played a 3 ball on Saturday and it took over 4 hour! This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think 18 holes is too long. I'd rather play 14 or 16 holes. I suppose having a young family is influencing my thinking here, but there are times in the winter when a round can be +4.5hrs. That's almost 6 hours out of the house.

Family life comes first but have you considered joining a Pitch&Putt club which is affiliated to The PPUI, they are run like golf clubs and have Club, interclub,County, Provincial, and National Comps and takes up a lot less time, these are not your local pub games,they are quite serious, when my kids were younger that's what I played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

callaway92 wrote: »
    Agreed completely - No more needs to be said on it. I cannot think of a justification for 4 balls bar getting more people on the time sheet.

Couple of disaster holes for one group and it potentially messes the whole day up.

We went straight back to 4 balls with the additional slots to be opened tomorrow. I understand the need to increase capacity but not looking forward to waiting on tees again along with a 4hr plus round.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

3 ball golf was bliss at 14 minutes intervals but there should be no waiting with fourballs, it's still almost double the average 8 minute interval.
    If a group is holding me up, I'm calling the pro-shop. Groups bunching on the course is the last thing clubs want. It's about maintaining your position on the course and with current guidleines that is 14 minutes away from the groups either side of you. So no group should be running around putting the group ahead under pressure either.

Some clubs need to go to fourballs to give everyone a fair chance to get on the timesheet, with the travel restriction easing to 20km from Monday I would imagine there will be an increase in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Played a 3 ball today and got around in 3 hours 5mins
    Slots are 14 mins apart and we caught the group ahead by the 4th.
    As we left the 18th tee the were still on 14th fairway.
    We weren't fast by any stretch of the imagination but the worst thing was we heard there was 2 lads that didn't show up and hadn't rang the club. The timesheet is fully booked all week. The first 4 days of this week filled up in 15 mins

You were lucky you managed to get through them. Can't remember last time a group who were holding our group up let us through. It seems to be a badge of honour to a lot of golfers not to call group behind them through if they constantly holding things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

SEORG wrote: »
    3 ball golf was bliss at 14 minutes intervals but there should be no waiting with fourballs, it's still almost double the average 8 minute interval.
    If a group is holding me up, I'm calling the pro-shop. Groups bunching on the course is the last thing clubs want. It's about maintaining your position on the course and with current guidleines that is 14 minutes away from the groups either side of you. So no group should be running around putting the group ahead under pressure either.

Some clubs need to go to fourballs to give everyone a fair chance to get on the timesheet, with the travel restriction easing to 20km from Monday I would imagine there will be an increase in demand.

I suspect it won't have much of an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blue note wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of the social side of threeballs but you're right. The three tend to talk together instead of pairing off.

I'd rather keep the threeballs. But I also don't want to miss out on getting onto the timesheet.

True but 4 ball at 14 min intervals & 3 ball at 10 min intervals would allow roughly the same amount of slots... I know which I would prefer and I can't really see one being more or less "dangerous" than the other.

A slow 4 ball at 14 min intervals will be even less aware of their slow pace unless it's a very tight course where you can see a few holes ahead at any one time. At 14 mins you've already lost a hole on the group ahead, how will people know they've lost 2 holes.

Our club has gone with 4 balls but is also introducing a course ranger (volunteers) from next week. Looks like they're anticipating issues.

Some people will remember this period as the great lockdown, some golfers will remember it as the 3 ball 14 min bliss :).

We went straight back to 4 balls with the additional slots to be opened tomorrow. I understand the need to increase capacity but not looking forward to waiting on tees again along with a 4hr plus round.

A good few single slots available now with the move to 4balls even on Sat/Sun morning. You won't get out in your normal 4ball but you can still get out. Midweek has opened up a good bit too. The initial surge may be easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

We are staying at 3 balls every 15 minutes. 3 rounds per week limit remains too.

PARlance wrote: »
    True but 4 ball at 14 min intervals & 3 ball at 10 min intervals would allow roughly the same amount of slots... I know which I would prefer and I can't really see one being more or less "dangerous" than the other.

A slow 4 ball at 14 min intervals will be even less aware of their slow pace unless it's a very tight course where you can see a few holes ahead at any one time. At 14 mins you've already lost a hole on the group ahead, how will people know they've lost 2 holes.

Our club has gone with 4 balls but is also introducing a course ranger (volunteers) from next week. Looks like they're anticipating issues.

Some people will remember this period as the great lockdown, some golfers will remember it as the 3 ball 14 min bliss :).

Course Rangers are the way to go if they can be found. It puts people under serious pressure to keep up with the group ahead when there is a ranger staring at them. We only had the in operation a couple of times last year but certainly made a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting out at my club, I know these are exceptional times but it has me seriously considering changing clubs.

Even before the lockdown it was tough and now that a local course has closed and a few members have moved to mine its only going to get worse.

It's the same in New Forest. Even though I am free to play this weekend there is not one free space on Saturday or Sunday. In all the years I have never found it as hard to get a round in. In fact, it was the opposite a lot of the time, empty timesheets and nobody to play with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barnaboy wrote: »
    It's the same in New Forest. Even though I am free to play this weekend there is not one free space on Saturday or Sunday. In all the years I have never found it as hard to get a round in. In fact, it was the opposite a lot of the time, empty timesheets and nobody to play with.

why didn't you give me a shout? Have you still my number?

Advertisement