Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RuPaul's Drag Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I only saw one episode but before they showed the "celebrities" the queens (Bob, Kim Chi and Nina West) were trying to guess. And it was all people like Gwyneth Paltrow, and that level of famous. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Hrududu wrote: »
    I only saw one episode but before they showed the "celebrities" the queens (Bob, Kim Chi and Nina West) were trying to guess. And it was all people like Gwyneth Paltrow, and that level of famous. Lol.
    Yes, indeed. They should've actively discouraged that lol. The anti-climax was real

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

I think that was the joke though no? That they were guessing A listers when it would obviously not be :D

kg703 wrote: »
    I think that was the joke though no? That they were guessing A listers when it would obviously not be :D

It was a joke, I agree, but it really put focus on how genuinely underwhelming the celebrities were. (Well, underwhelming in terms of their cebrity status outside of this show. I actually liked each of the celebs though. Except Nico who, I dunno, he just grated on my nerves a bit. But prolly a decent guy IRL).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Nico is a complete t**t and threw a hissy fit when they didn't win and it was edited out. Even their speech on the main stage was incredibly self-adulating and they basically said it was due to them that straights were appearing on the show and validating them as a person. What an egotistical pr*ck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

PFMC84 wrote: »
    Nico is a complete t**t and threw a hissy fit when they didn't win and it was edited out. Even their speech on the main stage was incredibly self-adulating and they basically said it was due to them that straights were appearing on the show and validating them as a person. What an egotistical pr*ck!

agreed.
    Even as a guest judge in season 10, he came across as annoying. Thank God Courtney Love was also a guest judge on that episode for some balance.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    agreed.
    Even as a guest judge in season 10, he came across as annoying. Thank God Courtney Love was also a guest judge on that episode for some balance.
    side note - that was a great lipsynch by Mayhem Miller in that episode, and totally cronge one by Yuhua Hamasaki

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Just watched the finale of Season 12 now, very underwhelming. I know the world is a bit mad now but was still expecting some effort.

Well, the show has been in decline since Season 7, there is no doubt about it.

The show is self-referential, and pretty much exists now as what it was set up to parody.

I still enjoy it, and there are stellar moments here and there. But they are fewer and farther between.

I think the biggest thing that shook it up in recent years, and the bit that made me sit back and really take note was The Vixen. I think it was Season 10. Anyway, she really has something to say. I was so impressed by her. I just gobbled her up when she was on telly. Prolly won’t see many more queens like her on the show. It’s not worth it for them. Queens who are really trying to be something different, or just be authentic, end up getting death threats from teeny tiny internet freaks in their bedrooms. It’s so bizarre to me. As Acid Betty said - “aren’t we all jus menz in wigs?’

Roll on Allstars 5 though.

I enjoyed it to a certain extent - it certainly missed the live show spectacle but I thought it was interesting to see what they could do at home - even though I was team Jaida all the way, I thought what crystal did with the birds and what Gigi did with the take on me thing was great. Really creative. Poor Jaida in her tiny apt rolling around the couch :D

It was hard to get the full spectacle of the lip syncs though - did love Jaidas crown on her frilled lizard outfit ha! Gigis was a bit meh - felt Ive seen her do that schoolgirl / dorothy look a lot for some reason just didnt feel it. And as amazing as her outfit was crystals talents clearly dont lie in lisyncing.

Besides the end of it being over Zoom, I enjoyed this season thought it was one of the best in recent years. Especially considering how SP had to be edited out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

I thought the season was pretty strong as a whole but by god the finale was a let down. Kinda disappointed Jaida won because she never showed much personality and can come off very boring. Despite losing Gigi is already well set, shes gained a huge following and tours with Werq the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I went into the finale thinking it would come down to Gigi vs Jaida

Up Close Lip Sync: I thought Gigi took this one. Crystal didn't really grab my attention, and Jaida had her angles all wrong

First lip sync: They couldn't eliminate Crystal after that. It was deranged, and I loved it. I also thought Gigi's was very clever. I thought Jaida didn't show the same creativity as the other two. Her performance probably would have killed in a live show.

At this stage, I thought Jaida was in trouble. She was my favourite going into the finale. So when Ru sent all three of them through I knew it had to be hers to win.

The final lip sync: I was a bit meh on all of them.

To be fair, when I heard the finale would be over a zoom like call I thought it would be a lot worse than it turned out to be. The fact that they had to depend on the queen's own creativeness for one of the lip syncs gave us something we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Its a shame these gals have been on the show this year. What with the Sherry Pie stuff, and the coronavirus stopping them from gigging/touring to build on their brands. Plus having All Stars starting right away they're going to have to hope people remember them when they do get out and about.

I enjoyed Season 12. It was stronger than last year I think. But that could just be the fact that its fresh in my mind

So, anyone seen the first ep of All Stars 5 then? It won't be on Netflix until next week and will be put up at the same time as episode 2 so there will be twice as much content next Saturday for everyone to see, but some of us may have watched it by other means. Its a very interesting start to the season and the new twist is a bit... odd. Explaining it to some people is like trying to explain the offside rule in soccer to them, but you get there eventually!

So, anyone seen the first ep of All Stars 5 then? It won't be on Netflix until next week and will be put up at the same time as episode 2 so there will be twice as much content next Saturday for everyone to see, but some of us may have watched it by other means. Its a very interesting start to the season and the new twist is a bit... odd. Explaining it to some people is like trying to explain the offside rule in soccer to them, but you get there eventually!

That lipsynch was EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I don't know if it was the fact it was a premiere with familar old faces or the new twist, but I found it to be the first episode of RPDR I've really enjoyed in quite some time! I don't know what it was exactly, but it just felt fresh or something. I'm eager to see if it'll continue to be so great for the rest of the season, but fingers crossed!

All Stars 5 now has Untucked and having watched it, it seemed more like the old series than the show ever has since it changed format in Series 7. I don't know if it was the queens from earlier seasons making me think that, but I actually enjoyed watching it, though it could still do without the text on screen describing what is going on and also the slow motion black and white shots that seem to go on forever played over sad music. Just let them get drunk and fight like they used to!

I actually wasnt too much of a fan of the first episode or the untucked to be honest. I think coming from the back of S12 where there didnt seem to be any forced drama, AS5 felt very very.....scripted? I know there is an element of scripting to it but its just very obvious that they are hyper aware of their brand etc while on camera....

The whole - come and talk to me and tell me why you deserve to be here is complete cringe, I really wish they wouldnt force it. Especially with the two who did it last week... I mean....zero point :D

Lipsync was brilliant - I look forward to the rest of them now!! Hard to beat that assassin with their variety of tricks and general mentalness.

Was honestly expecting them to bring out
    Mimi Imfurst
    for a rematch!

If anyone hasn't seen episode 1 yet, episode 1 and 2 will both be on Netflix tomorrow morning and thankfully from now on the episodes will debut Saturday mornings as normal. They still haven't revealed why they couldn't give us the episode last week.

Slay Coulee - that is all

I'm actually sad to see
    Ongina
    go home so soon, have been wanting to see her on an All Stars season for so long and then we finally get her for all of 2 episodes
    and she appears to be unwell which affected her performance and confidence

Are the eliminated queens getting to come back later this season or has that been scrapped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm actually sad to see
    Ongina
    go home so soon, have been wanting to see her on an All Stars season for so long and then we finally get her for all of 2 episodes
    and she appears to be unwell which affected her performance and confidence

Are the eliminated queens getting to come back later this season or has that been scrapped?

Agreed about
    Ongina
    had high hopes for her.

The voting twist is interesting but it could cause some controversy as cliques will be created - if episode one with the deliberation between
    Mayhem and India
    is anything to go by.

Frankly I can't see past
    Shay Coolee or Jujubee
    for the win, none of the rest really strike me as All Star Winner material yet. I find
    Blair St Clair
    improved since the last time and it is always fun to see
    Alexis Mateo
    , but that's just about it.

Yes, my strong feelings are that either
    Jujubee or Shea Couleé
    will win the season. Unless of course we get another Naomi Smalls incident where someone decides to get rid of the strongest queens to increase their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Watched episode 1 and 2 of AS5 last night and realised I havent seen season 10 as some of these were definitely new to me. Ru said it was 2020 so did they manage to film the whole season before lockdown i wonder.

No, it was filmed just after Season 12 last summer, so they likely had Ru say that as they knew it wasn't going to be shown until after Season 12 had been broadcast earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

That all stars lip sync tho 💥

Anyone watched Canada's Drag Race yet? It's actually really fun and a breath of fresh air as Ru isn't involved (that much). Also, speculation is fuelling that Ru may b e done with Drag Race and it may continue without him, and with Ru deleting all social media profiles yesterday, if the show was to continue without him I don't think that would be a bad thing to be honest. Some queens have even taken to social media to slag him off, including S11 winner Yvie Oddly. Interesting times.

Anyone watched Canada's Drag Race yet? It's actually really fun and a breath of fresh air as Ru isn't involved (that much). Also, speculation is fuelling that Ru may b e done with Drag Race and it may continue without him, and with Ru deleting all social media profiles yesterday, if the show was to continue without him I don't think that would be a bad thing to be honest. Some queens have even taken to social media to slag him off, including S11 winner Yvie Oddly. Interesting times.
    That's the most interesting Drag Race tweet in ages!

Yeah my friend told me this as well - all SM stuff gone and then there was the weird masked appearances at the S12 finales.... very strange. To be honest, I'd be sad if he went - he is a very integral part of the whole thing. I watched Canada's DR and I felt the judges a bit....meh.... but I did liked the contestants - bar one who I shall not name for Spoilers but anyone who watched it will no who....crazy much? :D I look forward now to getting two helpings of DR every week!

Heres the big question though -
    who was telling the truth - India or Alexis?? I didnt really believe India if I'm honest - wheres the footage?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Never seen any of them. Not my thing. However, when someone told me in the UK version, one of them was called bag of chips or something, I thought it might be up my street :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I think she was telling the truth, especially after the whole "4 H's" thing.

They'll definitely leave it out until the reunion episode and then show the footage (or lack thereof).

Advertisement