Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

course condition after the break for covid ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

etxp wrote: »
    Exactly, just shut up shop, close the course and turn it into farm land. Only logical thing to do now really. No point having patience and see will the course recover, get the dozers in!
    My course is jam packed every day , they have a gigantic membership ,if they cant manage the funds then someone should be sacked .

Well there are a couple of factors at play here. I'm not even involved in golf professionally- but to guess..................

1) A global pandemic
    2) National restriction of movement ( That needed clarification for golf)
    3) Lack of policies and procedures in the workplaces
    4) People sick and dying in households and completely disrupted households due to school closures and creche closures.
    5) Sharing of maintenance equipment and facilities
    6) Every single golf course has different resource challenges / financial challenges - I'd imagine a good few were let go ?
    7) Every course has different irrigation systems.
    8) Every course needs different maintenance and grasses

Just think lads going on about the condition of their grass after all this , is a bit , I don't know , a bit glib.

Even for golfers.
    i hear you . But if the course about a mile up the road from my course looks like Agusta National why does my course look like field , we have a tons of members so money shouldnt be an issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

sweetswing wrote: »
    My course is jam packed every day , they have a gigantic membership ,if they cant manage the funds then someone should be sacked .

I would assume your club will have to work to an annual budget which have been planned on the basis of income from previous years not just membership subscriptions.

Green fees, societies bookings, classics would be included.
    All of which are now non-existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

they can get water from somewhere else . they manage in spain very easily .
    Not always. I've played in Spain and Portugal and they struggle to keep the greens and fairways watered sufficiently at times. I've literally putted on dust it's been so bad.

SEORG wrote: »
    I would assume your club will have to work to an annual budget which have been planned on the basis of income from previous years not just membership subscriptions.

Green fees, societies bookings, classics would be included.
    All of which are now non-existant.

all courses are in the same boat , how are other courses managing ?

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not always. I've played in Spain and Portugal and they struggle to keep the greens and fairways watered sufficiently at times. I've literally putted on dust it's been so bad.

ill have to take you at your word for that , i play in both Spain and Portugal every year never seen anything like you describe .

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

You should probably ask your club why it is not in the condition expected of the membership rather than expecting to get the reason on a golf forum. Ours was grand, greens are slow but getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dont they close Agusta for months before the Masters every year ?

Yep, I also dont see how foot traffic helps considering most of the green wont be walked on, and the greens are driven on with mowers multiple times per week either way. (not to mention rollers)

ill have to take you at your word for that , i play in both Spain and Portugal every year never seen anything like you describe .
    I was in Portugal last year and it was especially bad. I played a number of courses in the Western Algarve and they all had variations of the problem. One green actually had a portion roped off as GUR it was so bad.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I was in Portugal last year and it was especially bad. I played a number of courses in the Western Algarve and they all had variations of the problem. One green actually had a portion roped off as GUR it was so bad.

Wow , id be hopping mad , glad ive never had such a problem .

• Advertisement

Wow , id be hopping mad , glad ive never had such a problem .
    It's particularly a problem in the Western Algarve as they get a lot of strong winds with the sunny weather and it dries up golf courses very quickly. Add to that, the reduced time that sprinklers can be safely run without doing damage and without curtailing time sheets and you can have a perfect storm of conditions that really can't be dealt with.

We generally don't have that problem, but at the same time, very few courses have irrigation on fairways and if there's a prolonged drought, only those with wells can actually use their irrigation systems when they need them most.

Does your course have an overseeding programme in place?
    By your description of the "machine cuts", it sounds like work was done close to the reopening.
    A lot of courses are now introducing perennial grasses into their greens and fairways, so overseeding takes place more fequently. Also the shutdown was an opportuntiy to get more work done if possible.

SEORG wrote: »
    Does your course have an overseeding programme in place?
    By your description of the "machine cuts", it sounds like work was done close to the reopening.
    A lot of courses are now introducing perennial grasses into their greens and fairways, so overseeding takes place more fequently. Also the shutdown was an opportuntiy to get more work done if possible.

The greens had sand on them on monday ,the sand was allowed to get into the hole its self ,i dont know anything about overseeding but they definitely should have got the work on the fairways done weeks prior to opening , its painfull to watch a well struck drive bounce into one of these lines cut in the fairway and go 45 degrees right .

The greens had sand on them on monday ,the sand was allowed to get into the hole its self ,i dont know anything about overseeding but they definitely should have got the work on the fairways done weeks prior to opening , its painfull to watch a well struck drive bounce into one of these lines cut in the fairway and go 45 degrees right .
    Courses generally don't have the equipment to do shockwaving (that's what your description of the work done sounds like). So they have to get contractors in to do it. And that wouldn't be possible during lockdown.

Sounds like the greens were overseeded and the top dressed with sand afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Well, I played said same course yesterday Thursday. It was suffering from the drought especially at the fringes of the greens. The slits on the fairways have widened also due to the water shortage. I think this was just unfortunate timing. If we'd had normal rainfall then they would probably have healed already.
    I thought the greens were in great condition and I rolled in some great putts.

Advertisement