Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I have a nice shorthorn X cow, really milky and rears a nice calf. Medium sized cow but narrow around the rear end. Any suggestions for a nice AI bull to use on her? She had 2 saler heifers the last 2 years but thinking of trying something different this year. eurogene is our AI company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

High bike wrote: »
    Anyone use wilodge joskins @ 12.8 c.d??

I haven't, but I see a good few breeders giving out about his cd saying that he's not hard calved at all so hard to say. He looks a good bull but you'd want a fairly right cow feet and legs wise for him as his sire vantastic wasn't very good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭High bike

Was thinking about him but thr cd was putting me off,why were they upset if he was easier calved??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was thinking about him but thr cd was putting me off,why were they upset if he was easier calved??

Any calves from him would have bad calving figures too, so harder to sell. Nearly 2,000 calvings and 8% were hard calved.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Any calves from him would have bad calving figures too, so harder to sell. Nearly 2,000 calvings and 8% were hard calved.
    He's not hard calved so at that rate Patsy if only 8% were hard,suppose a lot depends on the cow too

• Advertisement

He's not hard calved so at that rate Patsy if only 8% were hard,suppose a lot depends on the cow too

Well, that puts him in the bottom 1% of Limousins.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

joskins is very hit and miss, ai man would always use mbp over him

Anyone else get a 'Zootechnical Certificate' issued for an animal with the Limousin Society. This for a young bull calf just registered. Are these to replace the normal Pedigree certs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Must be replacing them? Thought them very flimsy.

Anyone else get a 'Zootechnical Certificate' issued for an animal with the Limousin Society. This for a young bull calf just registered. Are these to replace the normal Pedigree certs?
    are they only for bulls..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Just something I was wondering, Can you register a calf as pedigree if it is from a commercial cow that is 87.5% purebred? So the calf will be 93.75 purebred. Or is there such a thing as that at all?

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Just something I was wondering, Can you register a calf as pedigree if it is from a commercial cow that is 87.5% purebred? So the calf will be 93.75 purebred. Or is there such a thing as that at all?

but its not purebred, pure bred is 100%,

but its not purebred, pure bred is 100%,

Actually it's not. There was a bull in the roscrea Premier Limousin Bull Sale catalogue and the great grand mother wasn't purebred (see link below). I've seen a lot of it. I was surprised myself when I found this out. I think the animal has to be greater than 15/16 to be registered.

Have a look at this bulls pedigree and he's registered;
    https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1605896799

Actually it's not. There was a bull in the roscrea Premier Limousin Bull Sale catalogue and the great grand mother wasn't purebred (see link below). I've seen a lot of it. I was surprised myself when I found this out. I think the animal has to be greater than 15/16 to be registered.

thtas bull**** really, youd think the dam and sire have to be registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Remember my father buying a calf to replace a dead calf she was 15/16 bred, seller said her calf would be purebred that couldn’t be registered

That cow was born in 1985 though, weren't they were still upgrading some of the stock back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Is it true that they talk about pure bred (you can grow into that) and full blood which traces back as far as back goes? I’ve read that somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

According to icbf, the great grand mother was 14 and half years old when she had the grandmother of that bull.

The grandmother was over 12 years when she had the Dam of the bull.
    Good longevity in the breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

Has anyone used the Dovea CH bull Bivouac CH2218, any opinions on him?

My first set of twins were by him. Look framey, not muscley so would be good for bullocks or yearling heifers, not weanlings.
    Then again, they're twins so my calves could be a bit shíte too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Feel sorry for the owner non the less , he seems genuinely sorry over the blunder

Probably not the right thred so move it somewhere more appropriate if you want to miss, thanks. I have a pedigree Simmental cow that repeated a few times. Served again yesterday and the ai man said that she is a bit dirty. What do you do in this case? Get the vet to wash out? Or a jab of something? Could do with her going incalf shortly as she's lost time already and I should have took action sooner.

Ur right not the right place
    A shot of prosgladin or wash out after ai
    U should get her scanned to see what is going on when he comes to wash she maybe cystic

Ur right not the right place
    A shot of prosgladin or wash out after ai
    U should get her scanned to see what is going on when he comes to wash she maybe cystic

Scanned already and all good but he could have missed something. I think I'll get the vet to wash out and see from there.

There’s just some that will not go back
    Time if u can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

Is she strong enough for bulling. 20 month ped. 460 ish kgs

Another pic

Pic2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

tanko wrote:
    Has anyone used the Dovea CH bull Bivouac CH2218, any opinions on him?

Short gestation very easy calving not as shapy as fiston (but he is an exception)
    Growthy calves though. Works well on my cows they wouldn't be as well bred as yours Tanko.Have bought 40 straws for this year if that tells you anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

Should be ideal at this stage. Is she not more like 500kgs?
    Whats her breeding?

Advertisement