Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man child video gamers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

jeez, I so want a game of Civ now

That feeling when you unleash a horde of barbarians...

https://classicreload.com/civilization.html

Civilization 1 had no unit hitpoints and simplistic battle logic so you could occasionally see a battleship be sunk by a phalanx and things like that.

I really liked the introduction of strategic resources in civ 3. Then the hex grid in civ 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Haha, I'll be honest. In my experience those I have seen whining about "Man Children" playing video games, wearing nerdy t-shirts etc.
    are the lack of a better word, brainless. Usually the kind obsessed with what Kim K' weird alien proportioned bum has been seen covered in this time, eyebrows, Instagram "influencers", Kodaline, bottomless brunches, Posting updates of nothing really, posting lol updates about eating all the time/over thinking all the time (do not worry about that). Oh and watching Ru Paul's drag race because "Yassss queen I don't have a personality can I copy yours?"

Honestly I don't even care about what these stan smith wearing carbon copies are doing because y'know, everybody to their own. But if that's what you're interested in then don't even talk. At least video games have something which stimulates the mind. Rich narrative stories, unique worlds/universes etc.

Personally I don't play many of them as I think they can get very samey in their mechanics but just boxed up in a different package. But the ones I have played and made the time for have been amazing. For me the Last of us blew me away and couldn't believe I was crying at the end. But sure, I guess to that type everyone is at home being a loser with cheeto dust in every crevice of their person.

All this criticism and yet Game Of Thrones will be what they'll clamour on about when it comes back. Just solidifying the fact that these are the kind of person no one should be bothered about what they're thinking. Game on my friends, just don't let it become an unhealthy obsession like anything in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The last game I gave a good chunk of time to was Uncharted 2. Really high quality, engrossing stuff.

Currently enjoying RDR2. Only get maybe an hour a week, but that's all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Noveight wrote: »
    The last game I gave a good chunk of time to was Uncharted 2. Really high quality, engrossing stuff.

Currently enjoying RDR2. Only get maybe an hour a week, but that's all I need.

It's going to take you yrs to finish it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

from my experience of drivers on our roads, im convibced a lot a gamers, especially Gta etc, and incapable of differentiating between reality and silly games.

• Advertisement

from my experience of drivers on our roads, im convibced a lot a gamers, especially Gta etc, and incapable of differentiating between reality and silly games.

And yet our roads are safer than ever. If I were an infant, I would draw a parallel between that and the popularity of gaming, but I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's time for this again:
    Worst%20Thread%20Award_zpsdvsaiihs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Haha, I'll be honest. In my experience those I have seen whining about "Man Children" playing video games, wearing nerdy t-shirts etc.
    are the lack of a better word, brainless. Usually the kind obsessed with what Kim K' weird alien proportioned bum has been seen covered in this time, eyebrows, Instagram "influencers", Kodaline, bottomless brunches, Posting updates of nothing really, posting lol updates about eating all the time/over thinking all the time (do not worry about that). Oh and watching Ru Paul's drag race because "Yassss queen I don't have a personality can I copy yours?"

Honestly I don't even care about what these stan smith wearing carbon copies are doing because y'know, everybody to their own. But if that's what you're interested in then don't even talk. At least video games have something which stimulates the mind. Rich narrative stories, unique worlds/universes etc.

Personally I don't play many of them as I think they can get very samey in their mechanics but just boxed up in a different package. But the ones I have played and made the time for have been amazing. For me the Last of us blew me away and couldn't believe I was crying at the end. But sure, I guess to that type everyone is at home being a loser with cheeto dust in every crevice of their person.

All this criticism and yet Game Of Thrones will be what they'll clamour on about when it comes back. Just solidifying the fact that these are the kind of person no one should be bothered about what they're thinking. Game on my friends, just don't let it become an unhealthy obsession like anything in life.

Well done, you're making exactly the kind of generalisation about other people as some on this thread are about gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yes.

Incorrect motorway lane usage is both a scourge in Ireland and San Andreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Well done, you're making exactly the kind of generalisation about other people as some on this thread are about gamers.

Talking about my experience though. If you read the first sentence. I could be entirely wrong but I don't think I am. Most people don't really care if you play video games but I find there is a kind of person who I've came across who balk at the idea of going to see a superhero film or anything deemed a bit "childish" aka anything sci fi, fantasy etc. related. Generally vaccuous types who are more obsessed about looks, what's in and what's not, who's hot who's not.

Then again they're not all like that. But commonly that's the kind of person I've seen who have had anything negative to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

silly games ? Doctors who play a few hours a week can be far better

37% fewer errors !!!!!!!!!!

The primary outcome measures were compared between participants' laparoscopic skills and suturing capability, video game scores, and video game experience.

RESULTS:

Past video game play in excess of 3 h/wk correlated with 37% fewer errors (P<.02) and 27% faster completion (P<.03). Overall Top Gun score (time and errors) was 33% better (P<.005) for video game players and 42% better (P<.01) if they played more than 3 h/wk.

Current video game players made 32% fewer errors (P=.04), performed 24% faster (P<.04), and scored 26% better overall (time and errors) (P<.005) than their nonplaying colleagues

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Also known as a succubus :pac:

Were you talking about me? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Noveight wrote: »
    Yes.

Incorrect motorway lane usage is both a scourge in Ireland and San Andreas.
    It's why I carry a rocket launcher in the car, those journeys on the M50 are such a pain with all the GTA drivers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

So Mary's been banned eh?

Not surprised, this thread took the biscuit,speaking as a proud aged gamer who played doom on an old 386 pc we cobbled together from spare parts at work.

Currently gone fishin' in RDR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

cml387 wrote: »

Not surprised, this thread took the biscuit,speaking as a proud aged gamer who played doom on an old 386 pc we cobbled together from spare parts at work.

Currently gone fishin' in RDR

Still think Far Cry offers the best fishing experience. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

I don't know, each to his own and all but I do think it's a bit sad adults playing computer games.

Simpsons fan, right?

Is it not a bit sad that you, as an adult watch cartoons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

pah wrote: »
    Simpsons fan, right?

Is it not a bit sad that you, as an adult watch cartoons?

Haven't watched the Simpsons in years since it went to hell.

Although I was just thinking of it today for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Haven't watched the Simpsons in years since it went to hell.

Although I was just thinking of it today for some reason.

But you have, as an adult, watched and enjoyed cartoons frequently in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Gamers aren't really adults, they're children stuck in grown-up bodies.

• Advertisement

I'm a lesbian, trapped in a mans body

But you have, as an adult, watched and enjoyed cartoons frequently in the past?

Ah he hasn’t watched it in years.
    He’s 18 now give him a break.

Ah he hasn’t watched it in years.
    He’s 18 now give him a break.

But, but, but....those cartoons are for adults :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The world makes a lot more sense when you accept that this applies to all people.

cml387 wrote: »

Not surprised,

I’m distraught at this news.
    Genuinely thought she was a cracking burd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So that's videogames, nurses and razor adverts on the After Hours whinge list today. Am I missing anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So that's videogames, nurses and razor adverts on the After Hours whinge list today. Am I missing anything else?

The Romans, what have they ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

batgoat wrote: »
    Still think Far Cry offers the best fishing experience. :D

I read this three times as Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Cyclist V Motorists is there too !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Well while you were all drinking with friends and looking for all of the vaginas, I spent the evening hanging off Zeus' ball sack.

So who's the loser now?

assassins-creed-odyssey-zeus-580x334.jpg

Advertisement